PC World Poole Poppy Appeal

Just back and we all had a great time. :-D Collected so much money that the string handle on the collecting tin broke !!!

Started of peacefully with us arriving with the Pig at 8.30 am, very closely followed by Ashley. We 'staked our claim to the parking bays

IMG_6855adj.jpg

IMG_6857adj.jpg

PB103119adj.jpg

and waited for the arrival of himself.......Mr HMVF and Lawson.

PB103122adj.jpg

PB103125adj.jpg

Then the fun started..................... Lots of interest in the vehicles

PB103127adj.jpg

And our fine team of collectors where let loose on an unsuspecting public.

Some had an impressive turn of speed........................

PB103123adj.jpg

But how could the public not succumb to their winning smiles -

IMG_6861adj.jpg

IMG_6865adj.jpg

Thanks to the generous folks at Wessex Gate Retail Park. We had a great time and raised lots of money for the appeal.

I'm sure Jack will have some more photos to add

Do you know what - we had a flipping good day out, really enjoyed it. The tea making was up to standard (thanks to Mrs HF) the biscuits and cakes were good to - except Ashley seemed to eat must of them :whistle:

Lawson was going through cold turkey until Mr HF got a big can of WD40 out and gave it to Lawson to 'polish' he truck ( he had no rags with him so he took his own shirt off and ripped it up - that was how much he needed a fix....) I am sure HF is the local WD 40 pushers as he seems to be able to his hands on loads of it - I heard him say to Lawson that he can 'get my hands on loads of it....come into the back of the Pig'... :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Just uploading some pictures now.........but well done to Poole, great to see so much good will out there. I would say that we must of done at least £150..

Great Looking group of Volunteers and the People looked like they where having a fun time as well .......For those on the other side of the deep green Sea where does the money raised go to ? I m guessing the United Kingdoms veterans of all the wars and their families ? does it do other charitable works?

LOL ....Absolutely great Jack...LOL...Yep a good and fun day was had by all and thanks to the residents of poole for there generous donations....And the dealer jerry for my WD-40 fix... :-D....And sue for the tea and fairy cakes.....which Jack devoured with great intensity...I think he was missing annes home made Cakes... :nut:

ABN Deuce... In the UK it goes to help people who have been affected by military action. That might mean an injured serviceman or his/her family who are suffering perhaps financially after losing a relative.... or physical injuries .....Last year 300,000 members of the ex-service community called on the Legion’s help with 15 million veterans and their families eligible.

CAKE`S WHAT CAKE`S all i saw Jack (the hamster) Beckett looking rather sheepish during a tea break (thanks Sue, and the cooker monitor :tup: :tup:).

I still think the best way to sell poppies is to offer a choice of colours (but not the red one)

Good day out (1/2 day for some members :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:)

Nice to meet you at last Lawson

Real fun and for a good cause.

see you tomorrow all (A.M. JACK)

Ashley

Thank you Lawson for the information , Thats a very Nobel cause to be supporting and a huge need to be met ! One can only hope the number needing help will not increase markedly .

You can find out more about it here...

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/

& don't forget you don't have to be Serving or ex-Service to be a member of the Royal British Legion...

Whether you are serving, ex-Service or have little or no links with the Services, the Legion is still relevant to you. Apart from our many social activities, you can also get involved in our fundraising and welfare work.

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/content/Legion-Membership-509086.shtml

Update on Dorset, we are in Verwood, just looked in on my laptop via my mobile phone How sad is that? At a forties dance at The Royal British Legion, some serious money has gone into the pot tonight, grateful thanks to all. And the General has just been dragged onto the dancefloor, to this number if you don't mind, bloomin' cheek!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iufE9ReDbuY

I meant to say earlier that I hoped that neither Lawson or Jack didn't really put any of that WD-40 on their Running boards as they tend to be pretty slick enough without any help from silicone!! :shake:

Jack........

clean his MAN`S TRUCK :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :-o

Ashley

We had a brilliant night at the Legion, thanks to all for their efforts in making it such a forties flavour.

I took the laptop along to show some of the veterans, and anyone else, this website, and very impressed with it they were too.

Special thanks to N.O.S. for replying to my previous entry. A lot of these old soldiers are just not interested in anything to do with the internet, but they were certainly interested last night.

Today we attended the Memorial Service at Corpus Christi catholic church in Boscombe. There was some very nice touches, and thankyou to Father Hackett for sharing his wartime memories.

Instead of an opening hymn, we held a two minute silence, the finale was the hymn, Abide with me. But it was the song that came midway through the service that surprised me. Rather than a religious hymn, we sang: It's a Long Way to Tipperary. As we sang I thought of all those brave young men that marched to their deaths with that song ringing in their ears. The emotion got too much and I felt my eyes welling up, a gentle dab with a hanky cleared them, but as I looked around, I saw others, who were engulfed in the emotion, so I just let the tears roll unashamedly down my face.

Father Hackett recalled his days in the Fleet Air Arm, where he was the navigator/observer in those old string bags (his words) called The Fairy Swordfish. He was in such a plane when they attacked the Scharnhorst. His story of courage and terror, in equal measure was so graphic. And he also made a good point about how 'civilised' we are about shooting soldiers in a firing squad, even though they were shell shocked and unable to orientate. Good point Father.

I hope you all had a day to remember.

Lest we should forget.

And at the going down of the sun,

And in the morning,

We shall remember them.

Picking up on songs, as mentioned in Gen Mayhems piece, above, did anyone watch the Festival of Remembrance on TV last night. ??

The song that really got to me was one sang by Katherine Jenkins, (Cor, what a GAL. :sweat:) It was from Band Of Brothers,.............s'funny never really listerned to it when that film was on, but the words,...........................

The song that really got to me was one sang by Katherine Jenkins, (Cor, what a GAL. :sweat:) It was from Band Of Brothers,.............s'funny never really listerned to it when that film was on, but the words,...........................

I noticed that too, never heard it with lyrics before, a stirring peice of music