Post war Austria 1947

Hi,

I have inherited my late fathers photo albums from when he was in National Service and posted to Austria thought to be late 1940s - early 50s. It was an MT yard so some mv pics but also others showing people and places. He mentioned once he'd spent time at Syresham, didn't expand on it and never spoke of his time in Austria at all so apart from some with notes on the back I have no context for them. Would you like to see them, just the MV related ones or a wider spread?

Rob.

Edited by Hair Bear
  • Like 1

This is my dad. F.R. Eales, 1923 - 2004.

Aust2.thumb.jpg.bbd05daad396abd13cce5d5a4e7450d6.jpg

As I understand it, before and during the war he worked for Vickers at Weybridge as an electrician on Wellingtons.

After the war he did his national service and was posted to Austria, dates unfortunately unknown.

To set the scene here is a collection of post cards with notes on them.

Card1.thumb.jpg.70da5caccc10780dcd5e18269ce5823a.jpg

'Z coy'.

Card2.thumb.jpg.620aec33004e61dbb9bd84cccbf07099.jpg

'S Coy'   'Our cook house'.

Card3.thumb.jpg.bd9744c760398f9cd7207e7bc2fec05a.jpg

'This is our bath house'.

Card4.thumb.jpg.aeacc26212cdf084db4f82162faec121.jpg

Numbers just about legible...

1, This band stand is now an oil and petrol store.

2, Hotel bombed and burnt out.

3, Trees all dead and withered.

4, M.T. office.

5, Tank park.

6, All barbed wire now.

7, Is our bedroom.

8, Lorry park which is a sea of mud.

Card5.thumb.jpg.df7bb636061dbe3207115ea63088e2a5.jpg

'In this castle 5055men held out for three weeks against the Russians. this was the last German stand in Austria'.

Edited by Hair Bear
  • Like 2

Hello Hear Bear,

all postcards are from Bad Gleichenberg still a famous Spa in Styria. To the history of Hotel Mailand i only can say what i found on this website. The Hall of Hotel Mailand called Mailand Saal was built 1895. 1966 the community of Bad Gleichenberg sold the Hotel Mailand to the country of Steiermark and a training school was built there. The hall still exists but new buildings have been erected around it. https://www.berufsschulen.steiermark.at/cms/ziel/74836003/DE/

There are some info to Bad Gleichenberg today: https://www.steiermark.com/en/Thermen-Vulkanland/Plan-your-holiday/Excursion-destinations/Historischer-Curort-Bad-Gleichenberg_isd_8384933

Bad Gleichenberg is not far from the border to Hungary which was getting a communist government and later the iron curtain .

Hope this helps to see where your dad was stationed.

Motorfahrer 

• Like 1

• Hair Bear changed the title to Post war Austria 1947