Italian 'elastico' Triumph 3HW, 1942

Adrian Dwyer

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/6/2023 at 4:36 PM, rewdco said:

I think it could be worth contacting the MotoCiclismo d'epoca editor. When I was working in Italy in the 1990's I always bought this high quality monthly. It used to have (still has?) lots of in-depth articles. Definitely worth a try!

No response from MotoCiclismo d'epoca.  I will try and locate someone who can translate my question into Italian!

Thanks Ron.  I have found an ally fluent in Italian, so will try a more personal approach.  It is, of course, entirely possible that the Italian nation is more than a little embarrassed about making a Benelli out of a Triumph!  And, as a result, rather wishes these WD-elasticos didn't exist.   As a clichéd character from an '80s sitcom once said, what-a-mistake-a-to-make-a.  Vermouth anyone?

All the best.

A

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
Posted (edited)

Good afternoon ( for those who might be in the time zone ),

A few observations to various parts of this topic :

The ARMA workshop image comes from me via Flickr or Sheldons EMU ( without any credit.... ) and was originaly provided by the nephew ( Sergio Gavoni ) of ARMA's owner. 

ARMA and STRAM were one of the the same operation owned by Albino Gavoni. ARMA was at Milan and STRAM at Rome. ARMA were Main Dealers for Matchless/AJS and one or two others.

Pick up my article on Flickr, which is about to be updated; Matchless ARMA in Google will get you to both sites and comprehensive information.

20141123_142523.jpg

Edited by 2Sheds
Added Image
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Thanks 2Sheds (is this a Monty Python reference or are you blessed with 2 sheds?).  I have now had the opportunity to look at a couple of ARMA Matchless frames.  They are sufficiently different to my elastico to make me think mine is either very early or, as was suggested some time ago, not made by ARMA.  The immediate post-war efforts of Benelli may well be one possibility.

Thanks again.  I look forward to the update.

While I think about it, you don't recognise the tool box, do you?

Yours,

A

IMG_8499.JPG

Edited by Adrian Dwyer

Ah, forgot about this topic, here a Matchless G3L I bought in Italy in 2020, and it was even running! waiting in line now to be restored, luckily no major modifications to the frame, only the tank and rear stand made into a centre stand.

Lex

IMG_8268.jpg

IMG_8269.jpg

32 minutes ago, welbike said:

Ah, forgot about this topic, here a Matchless G3L I bought in Italy in 2020, and it was even running! waiting in line now to be restored, luckily no major modifications to the frame, only the tank and rear stand made into a centre stand.

Lex

IMG_8268.jpg

IMG_8269.jpg

Afternoon Lex,

No elastico? You don't know the fun you are missing!  What year is the bike and was your purchase a result of the Italian cull of older bikes?

All the best.

A

Posted (edited)

Adrian, I only bought it because it was dead cheap! (and numbers matching) all the non original bits have been sold or thrown away, and it will be restored to WD configuration.

Might be blasphemy to some!! 

Lex

PS last month I bought a set of G3L forks from an Italian, at a German autojumble, he kept insisting they were Moto Guzzi! for 50 euro's I wasn't gonna argue too much!

It only has some ears for the headlamp welded on.

Hockenhein 2024.JPG

Edited by welbike
spelling
  • Like 1