10 Cwt….2 Wheeled Lightweight Liner Saw-bench Trailer Restoration

Little progress over the last few weeks.. 

With the fitment of the petter engine, seems they have cut some of the original engine mountings to get the engine to sit low enough in the trailer frame. 

Fortunately a bulk of the original frame is still there, all be it with a few bits missing. It should repair. They had even left the original welds, so repositioning should be dead straight forward. 

IMG_1315.jpeg

IMG_1316.jpeg

IMG_1317.jpeg

IMG_1318.jpeg

IMG_1319.jpeg

IMG_1320.jpeg

• Like 5

Little bit of progress on the saw bench. 

Wings and wheels sent in for blasting, really pleased with what came back. 

Wheels have cleaned up like new,

The wings are completely rot free, just few bumps and knocks, most of which have dressed out, 

Everything primed and top coated. Wheels treated to a new set avons.

IMG_1733.jpeg

IMG_1732.jpeg

IMG_1734.jpeg

IMG_1735.jpeg

IMG_1736.jpeg

IMG_1737.jpeg

IMG_1738.jpeg

IMG_1739.jpeg

IMG_1740.jpeg

Edited by Jerryjeeprichard
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, OzH said:

That's a result! Looking at the pictures from when you recovered it, you'd expect at least mud guards to be rotten!

Probably saved by umteen layers of paint!

Based of what I was told when I collected  the trailer, it was kept indoors up in till 8 years ago, then moved into a wooded area, so I would say a combination of all three probably helped preserve it. 

There are lots of micro dents in the mudguard, I’m not sure whether to continue trying to dress these out, or apply filler, or just leave as is. 

13 hours ago, Jerryjeeprichard said:

Based of what I was told when I collected  the trailer, it was kept indoors up in till 8 years ago, then moved into a wooded area, so I would say a combination of all three probably helped preserve it. 

There are lots of micro dents in the mudguard, I’m not sure whether to continue trying to dress these out, or apply filler, or just leave as is. 

My view, its earned those over it's life, there is nothing major that I can see in the pictures, leave them as they are... but that's just me!

Managed few hours on the trailer tonight. 

The fitment of the petter engine has seen some of the frame cut out to allow the crank handle to rotate. 
I rummaged some steel out the same thickness, a little set to with the grinder and welder.

fortunately the left section of the trailer frame was intact so I had a pattern to Fabricated the missing section. 

Another little job ticked off. 

IMG_2647.jpeg

IMG_2648.jpeg

IMG_1983.jpeg

IMG_1985.jpeg

Edited by Jerryjeeprichard
  • Like 4

On 8/5/2023 at 7:33 PM, Tony Lawrence said:

There is (or was) another sawbench trailer out there. Around 2014 I tried to buy this one. It was covered in other vehicle parts in a run down garage. It was a typical horders paradise and the owner was not bothered enough to extract it. He gave me a couple of photos of what it used to look like and I managed to take a couple of it in situ, including the post-war plate.

Goodness knows what has happened to it.

20160803_194236.jpg

20160803_194437.jpg

20160803_195542.jpg

On 8/13/2023 at 11:53 PM, Jerryjeeprichard said:

Little progress on the trailer. 

I wasn’t sure what condition the spare blade box was in, looked good, but the only way to be certain was to remove it. 

No rot, great condition, just required the layers of paint removing, good sand up, treated to a thin layer wood preserver, 

IMG_1216.jpeg

IMG_1215.jpeg

IMG_1214.jpeg

IMG_1213.jpeg

IMG_1212.jpeg

IMG_1211.jpeg

IMG_1210.jpeg

IMG_1209.jpeg

IMG_1321.jpeg

IMG_1323.jpeg

IMG_1324.jpeg

On 8/5/2023 at 7:33 PM, Tony Lawrence said:

There is (or was) another sawbench trailer out there. Around 2014 I tried to buy this one. It was covered in other vehicle parts in a run down garage. It was a typical horders paradise and the owner was not bothered enough to extract it. He gave me a couple of photos of what it used to look like and I managed to take a couple of it in situ, including the post-war plate.

Goodness knows what has happened to it.

20160803_194236.jpg

20160803_194437.jpg

20160803_195542.jpg

Its still in regular use every winter, cutting up firewood.. At the time, when you were invited to come see it, the whole place was subject to probate, and stuff had to be left as is..  Gordon would only have sold it, if the proceeds were enough to buy another working saw bench. 

It's a monster if you ask me, I don't like getting within 10 feet of it when it's running!

Now the estate is settled, he now plans to keep it, along with the generator unit, and all the other locally found WW2 stuff they collected. 

Hi Deborah. 

I think I had contacted few years ago on this saw bench, I hadn’t made the association this was the same one you had. 

Looks quite complete. Other than been a death trap to be near when it’s running. How does the little JAP engine handle when under load?
Have you anymore up to date images you could share? 

Interested to know what model the JaP engine is, 5 or 6? Is the belt multiple v belts or one flat belt. 

Regards 

Richard 

13 hours ago, Jerryjeeprichard said:

Hi Deborah. 

I think I had contacted few years ago on this saw bench, I hadn’t made the association this was the same one you had. 

Looks quite complete. Other than been a death trap to be near when it’s running. How does the little JAP engine handle when under load?
Have you anymore up to date images you could share? 

Interested to know what model the JaP engine is, 5 or 6? Is the belt multiple v belts or one flat belt. 

Regards 

Richard 

Hiya, it's a monster, but not without a sharp blade. Most cutting can be done on tick over. Don't know what JAP engine it has, the shed it was in, is in the process of being rebuilt, so it's in another being stored. It'll probably come out in the winter again, as the wood runs low. 

On 9/18/2023 at 10:33 AM, Kent Transport History said:

Its still in regular use every winter, cutting up firewood.. At the time, when you were invited to come see it, the whole place was subject to probate, and stuff had to be left as is..  Gordon would only have sold it, if the proceeds were enough to buy another working saw bench. 

It's a monster if you ask me, I don't like getting within 10 feet of it when it's running!

Now the estate is settled, he now plans to keep it, along with the generator unit, and all the other locally found WW2 stuff they collected. 

I am glad it is still in use - I am now a bit too long in the tooth to manhandle/restore it but it was good to see it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have just been reading about this saw bench trailer, and have seen the owner is wondering about the type of engine originally fitted. Well I dont know the answer but he might be interested to know that:

14 x Trailer, 10 Cwt, 2 wheeled, with Liner Porta 26 inch saw bench with 6hp JAP air cooled engine were sold at the 12th Branston sale in September 1968. They all had census numbers in the range 51YM61 to 52YM70.

Maybe a 6hp JAP would be correct spec.

• 1 month later...

Ive been slowly collecting parts to complete some of  the missing bits on the saw bench. 

I’ve managed to pick up a nice little WW2 JAP engine, model 5, originally from a generating set.
Alas the foot print of the engine is too small to align with the mounting  holes on the saw. 

I’ve done more research and I know know, also tying in with the comments above it is the JAP 6 engine I need to try and locate .
Mounting holes on this size engine match and align the chassis on the trailer. 

I also had some luck in picking up an original enamel Liner sign, little enamel loss, but not to shabby.  

IMG_2337.jpeg

IMG_4850.jpeg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Some steady progress on the liner trailer. 

Just started to get the trailer broken down into its component parts ready to start getting parts blasted and painted. 
First task was to get the saw bench lifted off., serious bit of weight. 
Next job will be to tackle the axle and springs.  

Also still on the hunt for a JAP 6 engine, if anyone knows of one please get in touch. 

IMG_5272.jpeg

IMG_4974.jpeg

IMG_4973.jpeg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...