The sea gives up a victim

Degsy

A P38 Lightning which crash landed on a beach in N. Wales during the war has been found.

The beach has gradually been eroding and now at certain states of the tide the wings are visible. The pilot survived the crash sadly to be killed a few weeks later in N. Africa.

The authorities are trying to keep people away from the site claiming that there is still a considerable quantity of high octane fuel in the aircraft but are liaising with American authorities with a view to recovery.

It will be interesting to see how much has survived.

The only thing I saw in that area (Angelsey) was a Model T car - only the block was visible at low tide, but it was a :cry: if it caught your windsurfer. Someone later dug it up. It had been there since the early 20's.

The Solway Firth during the war was known by all as "Hudson Bay", as around 70 Hudsons crashed into it (Silloth airfield was the Hudson training base, and it was not a very kind plane to novices). Doubtless many were recovered but there must be a lot of remains still buried.

It will be interesting to see how much has survived.

The only thing I saw in that area (Angelsey) was a Model T car - only the block was visible at low tide, but it was a :cry: if it caught your windsurfer. Someone later dug it up. It had been there since the early 20's.

The Solway Firth during the war was known by all as "Hudson Bay", as around 70 Hudsons crashed into it (Silloth airfield was the Hudson training base, and it was not a very kind plane to novices). Doubtless many were recovered but there must be a lot of remains still buried.

A lot of old engines were used as 'deadmen' to lay in permenant moorings, the other was old truck tyre filled with concrete, but these weren't reckoned to last as long.

High Octane fuel? Yeah, even a REO wouldn't run on it. Trouble is the carion would be over it like flies. >:(

Of course, I was merely quoting the council spokesman (with tongue in cheek) ;-)

I know where it is and although it has been reported in the local daily paper and will no doubt flash around the 'wrong' people I have no intention of posting the exact whereabouts on here.

Seems reasonable. Keep up the reports. It will be a challenge to keep the wolves at bay - because for every bloke like you there will be a scavenger. Perhaps Major Gus, who I presume is enjoying a bit of break working in London (go to Dalston gus and you'll think you are in Kabul again - albeit with a Woolworths) from his usual activities, might be interested. Technically the thing might still be US Army property??????????????????????

Hi Guys,

Yes,I'm back :evil:

The P-38F was rediscovered three months ago by a local man,but we had decided not to go public just yet. Unfortunately details got out and once it appeared on the BBC website the papers picked it up so we have had no choice but to go public now.

I have sent Jack a press release concerning the efforts which are being made to save the aircraft and I'm sure he will put it in the news section as soon as he can.

The fuel mentioned in the BBC report is very real,the aircraft could still contain up to 150 US gallons. In regard to the legal protection of the aircraft it is protected under the Protection of Military Remains Act 1986,under the act it is an offence for anyone to tamper with,damage,move,remove or unearth any part of a crashed military aircraft. The local police are aware of the possibility of looters and the site is being monitored closely.

If anyone has any questions please contact me.

Regards to all!!

Matt.

welcome back Matt and thanks for the press release - I will up load it to the server in the morning and then will put it up in the news section.

Please do keep us up to date on this and it will be of a lot interest to a lot of people and well done to you and everyone else involved!

Jack.

Be great to see this resurrected. Hope someone keeps up some reports with images, BBC or whoever.

Would imagine it would be best to get it out quickly now it's becoming exposed. A winter of battering whilst partially exposed to the sea could finish it off unless well protected. May even be better to bury it again until spring or summer next year.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies. Once Jack has posted the press release it will cover pretty much everything,but suffice to say with the people involved in this we have the best there is,if you would like to see some of the other projects please visit http://www.tighar.org

Tony you are correct,however in the case of military remains the MOD are primarily concerned here. The USAF are involved already as are the major national UK museums.

We will be keeping everyone posted as things develop further.

Matt.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

A quick update,we have now released a photo of the P-38 taken during the TIGHAR survey in October using Kite Aerial Photography,go to http://www.tighar.org to see the full report. The story also appeared in todays Daily Mail.

I would like to thank everyone on HMVF for your positive comments and support :thankyou:. Unfortunately on some other forums there are those who are having a moan about a US group being involved in this project,perhaps they are missing the point that everyone involved with this P-38 is working towards one goal,to see it conserved and displayed in a national UK museum where anyone can see it.

As I said before if anyone would like to know more about the project please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,

Matt.

The equipment to modify cameras for this, mainly an RC release is available. Also Ballons, for the same job. British Airways used to have a Gyro , road towed by a Ford Cortina! That did arieal photos. I've also seen a RC helicopter, but that was a few grands worth of kit. Innovations do a RC camera plane in the catalogue.

• 8 months later...

Just a quick update on the P-38. We had hoped to be in a position to recover the aircraft during 2008 however due to a number of different factors this will not happen,however planning both the recovery and conservation of the aircraft is still on going and we have moved a great deal closer to a recovery taking place but there are still several bridges to cross before any sand gets moved!.

Since December of 2007 the aircraft has remained buried. This is the ideal situation as it protects it from both people and the effects of tide and marine life all of which are a real threat,it does however complicate the recovery process.

I will of course keep everyone updated as things progress. I for one am looking forward to the day when the UK will have a genuine combat vet P-38F on display in a national museum.

Matt.

Keep up the work , most dont think about the thousand's of behind the scenes details that have to be done before the actions in public happen . Keeping my fingers crossed that it will all work out next year opr when the timing is right .