Tanks-Alot has bank accounts closed.

MatchFuzee

• 7 months later...

Just stumbled across this post and wondered if anyone is interested in the facts.

we sold 120 vehicles to Ukraine up until last Christmas when Barclays closed our 45 year bank account although the vehicles were intended for casualty evacuation and we stripped out as much interior to make more room 432 434 Spartan Samaritan sultan snatch Pinzgauer vector and 6 ferrets. The ferrets were the only ones not listed as casualty evacuation.

we tried every uk bank including bank of Dave which isn’t a bank and as soon as the word Ukraine was uttered the doors closed firmly shut. We waited a few days and managed to get a few accounts opened on line but these were mostly closed as soon an any money from Ukraine was banked. 
since last Christmas we have got only 2 vehicles to Ukraine which were sold to brave souls who paid from a UK account plus the vat as a uk buyer and drove them out there themselves reclaiming the vat after person export.

the money bit. Ukrainians shop around and look for a bargain if you’re overpriced they tell you and either shop else where or negotiate. Initially I had some cheap stock and they loved it then I advertised and bought privately and many of those were expensive or we were really turned over ,YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE. The majority of the vehicles we bought blind were fine and the sellers totally honest. Brightwells prices were rising fast and their was one moment when I had 15 Spartans leaving at £45,000 each overhauled and painted and them coming in from brightwells raw untested at £65,000 which was slightly worrying. I showed the brightwells invoices to my customers and kept a record of repairs, gearboxes etc and they were very understanding.

we have about 75 vehicles sitting here for Ukraine with three different customers and still can’t get a bank to take payment. These vehicles have no been sold many times and eventually the buyers money is returned or impounded for 120 days which really piss them off.

profit,. Initially it was fine when I had all my cheap stock but I have constantly re stocked as prices were rising so I have slightly more vehicles and a bit less money but in theory if we find away of ever getting them to Ukraine one day we will hopefully get a decent pay day as all of my competitors are thousands more than me.

has it been stressful. Fuck yes every deal has six people involved you’re trying to broker 4 deals at once they all have the same names and most have terrible English thinking they can handle all the export paperwork themselves. And trust me they can’t. Some are dishonest and they need getting rid of which is risky.

hard boring work. fuck yes the first few are interesting then it’s just a slog. Staff have been fantastic and we have a night shift to, every one knows he’s helping Ukrainian and this keeps them going the extra mile.

how have we survived cash flow. Luckily with 35 years of all sorts of tanking we have a massive customer base and we run the business just like a butchers shop.sell good meat at a fair price and make sure the deal you give keeps that customer coming back. Monty driving voucher sales are good, corporate days down a bit. Utubers very good. Tv and Film up this year. Weapons development very up this year. Funerals up this year. Wedding about the same, London Tank tours well up. the private car crushes are up to. So all this has funded the overhaul of the stuff going to Ukraine.

what really pisses me off. politicians and others saying how the UK are helping Ukraine when I can clearly see many cracks. Politicians who pretend to be deaf. People who think this is easy and we’re profiteering. People who lied about their vehicles thinking it’s only going to Ukraine what does it matter. Roman Hoban who stole our spare parts money, beware of Roman he’s scum.

state of play, lots of vehicles still lined up fun ukraine customers still trying to pay. off shore very risky, crypto even more ,magic beans ,maybe. Cash useless and impossible. We think we have one life line who charges 5% to do special checks on the customers and if they pass then they can hold the money for us in Turkey. So watch this space.

mental health, fucked family life, she’s hanging on in there just about. Christmas plans 

working mostly just in case we get a uk bank to stand up and be counted and these vehicles can finally go.

ps we have received no finders fee for the gold or it’s return.

• Thanks 1

The easiest solution would be for the Government to TELL the bank concerned to disregard the Money Laundering Regulations in respect of Nick and exporting AFVs to Ukraine.  As I understand it, most of the money is coming from private sources rather than the Ukrainian government.  If the Government handled the sale, it would still have the problem of taking money from unverifiable sources.

Ministers have indicated in Parliament that "the complete integrity of the Money Laundering Regulations is more important than facilitating the export of AFVs to Ukraine".  If you are in contact with your MP, of whatever political colour, ask them whether this is a sensible policy or not.

I have been trying to help Nick all this year but have still failed to be able to do so.  I did find out that many banks have been quietly debanking the Defence Industry without anyone knowing.  Ministers are now on that case but still will not sort out Nick's problem.

John

• Like 2

3 hours ago, attleej said:

The easiest solution would be for the Government to TELL the bank concerned to disregard the Money Laundering Regulations in respect of Nick and exporting AFVs to Ukraine.  As I understand it, most of the money is coming from private sources rather than the Ukrainian government.  If the Government handled the sale, it would still have the problem of taking money from unverifiable sources.

Ministers have indicated in Parliament that "the complete integrity of the Money Laundering Regulations is more important than facilitating the export of AFVs to Ukraine".  If you are in contact with your MP, of whatever political colour, ask them whether this is a sensible policy or not.

I have been trying to help Nick all this year but have still failed to be able to do so.  I did find out that many banks have been quietly debanking the Defence Industry without anyone knowing.  Ministers are now on that case but still will not sort out Nick's problem.

John

Thanks John - I've just pinged Penny Mordaunt, so if you manage to bump into her ...

Andy

On 12/13/2023 at 3:06 AM, Nick mead said:

Just stumbled across this post and wondered if anyone is interested in the facts.

we sold 120 vehicles to Ukraine up until last Christmas when Barclays closed our 45 year bank account although the vehicles were intended for casualty evacuation and we stripped out as much interior to make more room 432 434 Spartan Samaritan sultan snatch Pinzgauer vector and 6 ferrets. The ferrets were the only ones not listed as casualty evacuation.

we tried every uk bank including bank of Dave which isn’t a bank and as soon as the word Ukraine was uttered the doors closed firmly shut. We waited a few days and managed to get a few accounts opened on line but these were mostly closed as soon an any money from Ukraine was banked. 
since last Christmas we have got only 2 vehicles to Ukraine which were sold to brave souls who paid from a UK account plus the vat as a uk buyer and drove them out there themselves reclaiming the vat after person export.

the money bit. Ukrainians shop around and look for a bargain if you’re overpriced they tell you and either shop else where or negotiate. Initially I had some cheap stock and they loved it then I advertised and bought privately and many of those were expensive or we were really turned over ,YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE. The majority of the vehicles we bought blind were fine and the sellers totally honest. Brightwells prices were rising fast and their was one moment when I had 15 Spartans leaving at £45,000 each overhauled and painted and them coming in from brightwells raw untested at £65,000 which was slightly worrying. I showed the brightwells invoices to my customers and kept a record of repairs, gearboxes etc and they were very understanding.

we have about 75 vehicles sitting here for Ukraine with three different customers and still can’t get a bank to take payment. These vehicles have no been sold many times and eventually the buyers money is returned or impounded for 120 days which really piss them off.

profit,. Initially it was fine when I had all my cheap stock but I have constantly re stocked as prices were rising so I have slightly more vehicles and a bit less money but in theory if we find away of ever getting them to Ukraine one day we will hopefully get a decent pay day as all of my competitors are thousands more than me.

has it been stressful. Fuck yes every deal has six people involved you’re trying to broker 4 deals at once they all have the same names and most have terrible English thinking they can handle all the export paperwork themselves. And trust me they can’t. Some are dishonest and they need getting rid of which is risky.

hard boring work. fuck yes the first few are interesting then it’s just a slog. Staff have been fantastic and we have a night shift to, every one knows he’s helping Ukrainian and this keeps them going the extra mile.

how have we survived cash flow. Luckily with 35 years of all sorts of tanking we have a massive customer base and we run the business just like a butchers shop.sell good meat at a fair price and make sure the deal you give keeps that customer coming back. Monty driving voucher sales are good, corporate days down a bit. Utubers very good. Tv and Film up this year. Weapons development very up this year. Funerals up this year. Wedding about the same, London Tank tours well up. the private car crushes are up to. So all this has funded the overhaul of the stuff going to Ukraine.

what really pisses me off. politicians and others saying how the UK are helping Ukraine when I can clearly see many cracks. Politicians who pretend to be deaf. People who think this is easy and we’re profiteering. People who lied about their vehicles thinking it’s only going to Ukraine what does it matter. Roman Hoban who stole our spare parts money, beware of Roman he’s scum.

state of play, lots of vehicles still lined up fun ukraine customers still trying to pay. off shore very risky, crypto even more ,magic beans ,maybe. Cash useless and impossible. We think we have one life line who charges 5% to do special checks on the customers and if they pass then they can hold the money for us in Turkey. So watch this space.

mental health, fucked family life, she’s hanging on in there just about. Christmas plans 

working mostly just in case we get a uk bank to stand up and be counted and these vehicles can finally go.

ps we have received no finders fee for the gold or it’s return.

Good post Nick, its important to hear all sides and it certainly seems that everyone thinks you are making out like a bandit scot-free in this ordeal unfortunately

1 hour ago, TheAmericanPatriot said:

Good post Nick, its important to hear all sides and it certainly seems that everyone thinks you are making out like a bandit scot-free in this ordeal unfortunately

We nearly got a test payment in to a very foreign account on Thursday but the payee messed up on some of the paperwork. Once we have had a couple of payments we will start buying hard again. But at the moment we’re stuffed up with vehicles. 
i”m always after Abbott’s chieftains and any tank that’ are a bit different for our film work and special private drive days. So let’s see what turns up. 2024 we will be concentrating on YouTube and finally getting stuck in to our own core stock. We will always support Ukraine they are really fighting on behalf of Europe and we need our government and a few others to allow banks to support us. Unless it’s a ploy to slowly grind down Russia in a huge stalemate at the expense of Ukrainians  and Ukraine.

for your home work google politico debanked. The government know exactly what’s going on with banks and could relax some of the legislation. Then check the date of the article and letter. 

Nick, I sympathise, with your plight, as I know that the situation is all rather hypercritical. On the one hand you have the UK government selling off Armoured Vehicles they dont want, and standing up in parliament expressing their undying support for Ukraine. They are now considering sending sanctioned Russian money, that has been seized in USA, UK and the EU, to Ukraine no questions asked about its legality in the first place, and yet when you receive money from people in Ukraine that desperately want to help save Ukraine, you are somehow classed as crook?  Duplicity I think!

6 hours ago, Mark Ellis said:

How much of it is because the Government (and I mean the civil servants, not the politicians) want to sell brand new vehicles to Ukraine so they and that large weapons/vehicle company can make all the money

Zero, I'd have thought - how long would it take to manufacture those vehicles?

Its not anything to do with Sadiq Khan but the FCA, who want to stop dodgy money coming from abroad, so they then say to banks if this is not stopped we will fine Uk banks millions. The banks then are forced to close peoples accounts but the system has no appeal mechanism. 

Edited by LarryH57
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, LarryH57 said:

Its not anything to do with Sadiq Khan but the FCA, who want to stop dodgy money coming from abroad, so they then say to banks if this is not stopped we will fine Uk banks millions. The banks then are forced to close peoples accounts but the system has no appeal mechanism. 

I think you misunderstood - my point was wondering whether Sadiq Khan would face the same issue exporting vehicles to Ukraine.

Andy

If I gift all of the vehicle how long before we just go bankrupt and no more vehicles are overhauled and supplied. British vehicles cost ukraine 10% of the cost of American vehicles. Ukraine is happy to pay and not short of funds. Government strict legislation on uk banks stops banks of even daring to get involved. They can’t pay.

Because of the threat of being fined by the FCA, for accepting money from abroad, the Banks cannot run the risk of even having an account open on their books for such a person or organisation- even if the account holder gives away everything. Arms dealing even for free is classed the same as the trade in 'Rough Diamonds' , Terrorist Financing, or 'Modern Savery' or People or Drug Trafficking, and Money Laundering, to name a few, which the FCA has on its list of trade/ activity it doesn't like.

The FCA was formed by the Government to regulate the finacial industry; it has many faults but it is never wrong.

Such businesses or trades, I listed are seen as unethical and are either on their list or not (despite all the logical and rational arguments of the average man on the street demanding exceptions like 'its Ukraine that needs our help as they were the ones who were invaded').

The FCA has the power to add to the list (but none to remove any, or a least they dare not).

Its only the 'big boys' (I dare not name) with thousands of Uk jobs at stake, and millions in exports who may continue. It's ok for big employers to supply thousands of police truncheons or thousands of armoured cars, to some dodgy third world country, that uses them to suppress riots when their people demand proper democratic elections (with more than one candidate).

It's ok for the big boys to supply bombs to the Air Force of 'His Excellency' ......to fight rebels and yet if the UK press discover that his Air Force has on many occasions killed small children, that is just 'regrettable' as its out of our control. 

And finally, don't think anything will change with a new Government at the next election. It won't as they were all complicate in the formation of the FCA, (then called FSA) years before the banking crash. 

In my humble opinion it is a  good idea having a 'police force', but not if they are asleep on the job.

If the 'police' make decisions as to what is or isn't acceptable, on behalf of the people, but refuse to make exceptions, when shown clear evidence that a person/ organisation is  helping an ally, and not a master criminal, something stinks. 

I could go on (and on) but this site is not the right place. But I hope you all understand the victim of this injustice has no ability to appeal and the organisation responsible for carrying it out, was only obeying orders of a higher authority, you get the picture. (Where have I heard that before)

Edited by LarryH57

On 12/25/2023 at 11:08 AM, Nick mead said:

If I gift all of the vehicle how long before we just go bankrupt and no more vehicles are overhauled and supplied. British vehicles cost ukraine 10% of the cost of American vehicles. Ukraine is happy to pay and not short of funds. Government strict legislation on uk banks stops banks of even daring to get involved. They can’t pay.

Giving them away is indeed not a option. So UK government, buy them and gift them to Ukraine...

The Government does not need to be in the supply chain.  All it needs to do is to tell the bank not to worry about the Money Laundering Regulations and in respect of and Tanks a Lot and the export of AFV's to Ukraine.  It chooses not to for reasons that I know not.  They must be laughing their socks off in the Russian Embassy in London and in the Kremlin .

John

PS Is anyone experiencing difficulties with obtaining insurance because of involvement with 'Defence' in its widest sense and for either play or work?  Any info would be much appreciated.

Dare I say that the GOVERNMENT, has no authority except by passing a specific law via the House of Commons and the House of Lords, to grant any exception to Tanks Alot, or anyone else as by the powers of the Financial Services & Markets Act they (the Government) passed responsability to the FSA (later the FCA and the PRA) to regulated the industry and they have no authority to grant exceptions without Government approval, which of course involves passing an Act of Parliament. There is no time for that!

The British Government still sells MVs via Withams etc but thats OK but as long as they (the UK Government) get the money to fund other things. What you do with the vehicles is your concern but don't export them to any nation that is fighting for its very survival, as it has had a spot of bother with Bribery & Corruption and we the Politicians want to take the credit for doing everything we can  to fight Bribery & Corruption (!) and to support Ukraine. The fact that YOU can't get paid because your account has been closed to support the fight against Bribery & Corruption is regreatable!