"Named" vehicles

1944WC52

I admit I am much more familiar with the practice of naming vehicles in the American military. Nose Art is probably the most common example. A practice that has been discontinued for Political correctness. How common was the practice for the British during WWII? Does anyone mark their vehicles now? My WC52 is named "Debbie Doo" after my wife and fits her "personality" perfectly.

Brent

Both mine have got names. The Dodge is Ruby Baby after my Mum, the 101 is Elusive Lady after the many ways she can think of to break down. RAMC did officially name some 101s after VC holders from the Corp, and of course the now famous SNAFU from the first gulf War. Also notice we always refer to them either as specific makes and models or 'Vehicles'. I never call any of mine 'cars'.

Ok maybe I missed the point... was you referring to a specific vehicle the name is on :dunno:

Yes mate, there are several shots about of a 110 with black block SNAFU under the drivers window. Though the good names do seem to keep recurring. anther one I like is Ohell , Oh Hell whats gone wrong this time?

Mine is called Bertha 'cause she's an ugly beast, she puts the fear of god up men and you wouldn't want to meet her coming the other way down a country lane after dark. Seems quite apt I think. A strange coincidence is that all the 15cwts in The Battery with whom Bertha has been known to play all have girl's names that begin with B spooky :schocked: :shake:

John.

• 10 months later...
I thought SNAFU was from WW2 :dunno:

In the mid-70s I bought and read Hitler's Last Offensive by Peter Elstob (ex-3RTR, part of the relief column: oh yes, contrary to what Hollywood tells you, The Ardennes Offensive wasn't just about Americans getting cheesed in the Schnee Eiffel).

In it, he explained the meaning and popular use in 1944 of SNAFU, FUMTU and TARFU. On first read, I didn't get the impression that the acronums had been new in 1944.

A later addition (maybe about the time og Op Granby) was FUBAR.

WRT named vehicles.

It was common in the Royal Armoured Corps during the Second World War to name all tanks in sabre squadrons with a name beginning with the squadron letter. Anybody familiar with the old Airfix M4 Sherman will remember the name CHARGER. Unfortunately, it also came with an A Squadron triangle (C Sqn = circle, B Sqn = square, HQ Sqn = diamond).

I never saw this practice applied in the 1970s and 80s, but apparently when 15/19H reverted to tanks from recce in the late 80s, some bright spark decided to re-introduce the practice.

I tell a lie. In Tidworth in 1976, A Squadron's command Saracen bore the name GARFORTH VC in commemoration of the last recipient of a VC for actions performed on horseback. (See this day in history, 24 Aug, 2 - 3 Sep 1914)

My WC51 has been called "Popeye" since I bought it in 1994. I thought the name was fitting as the Dodge is strong :-)

I will mark my WC51 as an ambulance of the Brazilian Expeditionary Force, under Gen Clark and 5th Army, Italy 1944-45, for the 2009 season.

I'll mark it "TIAOZHIÑO", nickname for Sebastian (my 9 year old son). Marking will probably go on the top of the radiator.

I plan to go back to Normandy with my Dodge in 2009. Last time I was there was in 1994, a looong time ago now....

As always,

Goran N

Sweden

My WC51 has been called "Popeye" since I bought it in 1994. I thought the name was fitting as the Dodge is strong :-)

I will mark my WC51 as an ambulance of the Brazilian Expeditionary Force, under Gen Clark and 5th Army, Italy 1944-45, for the 2009 season.

I'll mark it "TIAOZHIÑO", nickname for Sebastian (my 9 year old son). Marking will probably go on the top of the radiator.

I plan to go back to Normandy with my Dodge in 2009. Last time I was there was in 1994, a looong time ago now....

As always,

Goran N

Sweden

Here is a nice souvenir from the Brazilian Forces in Italy.

It's inside the hall of an ancient palace in Italia Street, Pisa:

2385145822_ed7b79398e_b.jpg

Andrea

I am of a mind to call my MUTT Askari, because it's in desert colours and I have an affinity towards the african soldiers who fought for the colonial powers in WW1 and then through the 30s and into WW2. Tough buggers.

At work weare just trying to sort out negatives of Italian askari fighting in Abyssinia in the 1930s and the marvellous book Tip and Run will tell you about the German, British, Portugese and Belgian askari fighting in East and south west Africa in the Great War.

The Iltis we called Ferdinand, because the registration was FDE and in my strange mind I remembered that all German warships from the Kaiser's time were HE rather than SHE. It kind of made sense at the time...

Curiously just today I found a picture of a 15/15H Centurion from the mid-60s bearing First Troop B Sqn tactical sign and the name BISHOP AUCKLAND on the side. Seems it was from a KAPE tour to the town.

I'd post it here but it's on a private Facebook group.