Cooking Vessel (Electric)

Surveyor

Guys

As always thanks in advance and seeking advice.

Just bought this and the cable leading from it, has anyone adapted the cable for a none FV vehicle supply?

Does any one have a manual for it?

I am trying to get a display of cooking for shows, does anyone have pictures showing it in use?

Was there a cook book for it or for heating usually a ration pack?

Also does anyone have an idea which vehicle the registration belongs to?

IMG_20210806_153156.jpg

IMG_20210806_153141.jpg

IMG_20210806_153147.jpg

These 'cookers' are usually known as  Boiling Vessels or BVs for short, you first take out the inner  container and then fill the boiling vessel with water up to the mark on the inside  then re fit the inner. When the inner is in place fill it up to the mark and place the ration pack(s) in the water.  When the boiling vessel is turned on it heats the water between the outer and inner , which in turn heats the water in the inner. The hot water between the the inner and outer can be drawn off via the tap to make a  brew while you enjoy the delightful ration pack meal. All heated while you are driving.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, radiomike7 said:

What do you intend running it from, a mains transformer capable of 55 Amps will be fairly large and probably need a cooling fan?  

At the moment i was thinking needed a step down transformer form 110 or 240v as would be used with a generator, hence my question to those more knowledgeable than me

24 minutes ago, fv1609 said:

This might help but I think this refers to Mk 1, there were slightly different EMERs for Mk 2.

Clive

Thanks for this, you know how it is work gets in the way of enjoyment, I need an idiots guide to be honest as always learning especially on these kind of things

34 minutes ago, Surveyor said:

At the moment i was thinking needed a step down transformer form 110 or 240v as would be used with a generator, hence my question to those more knowledgeable than me

A transformer is the first part but it will also need a substantial rectifier to give DC unless the BV would be happy with AC.

The BV element supply (24V DC) is fed to pins A & B but it must be controlled by the internal thermostat on pins C & D.

The thermostat is controlled by a DC relay which is part of the vehicle installation that switches the supply to the BV..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, radiomike7 said:

A transformer is the first part but it will also need a substantial rectifier to give DC unless the BV would be happy with AC.

After the rectifier the DC would be full wave rather than ' clean ' DC as from batteries.

The heating element probably would not care if AC or just rectified but a DC control system might well need a cleaner i.e. smoother DC. Any wiring change would of course mean the unit was both not as original and non standard which might cause confusion in the future.

10 hours ago, sterling1961 said:

Perhaps a 24V battery charger could be used. Some larger models, for forklifts, can supply 60A or more. Then there is this from a US site

https://www.altendc.com/

Perhaps there is something similar available in the UK.

Thanks, for this, i think my issue will be the wiring from the 4 pins to the connections especially as one is a thermostat, still thinking about how to do it

I recall in service. BV's were standard issue in 432's Etc. you just plugged in the cable after filling the BV with water. & the engine did the rest!

I also recall, on STALWARTS, there was a dedicated box that was fitted in the vehicle. With a Socket to accept the BV lead. You had a SWITCH, & a light on this box. That told you when the BV was switched on. I am ASSUMING this box had the nessacary regulator in it. To control the Thermostat in the BV. As well as the current going to the main elements? So I would suggest you look / enquire. for one of these control boxes, from parts suppliers. Under Stalwart spares perhaps?

19 hours ago, sterling1961 said:

Perhaps a 24V battery charger could be used. Some larger models, for forklifts, can supply 60A or more. Then there is this from a US site

https://www.altendc.com/

Perhaps there is something similar available in the UK.

You would need to enquire but a unit specifically intended as a battery charger might not work without a substantial battery pack connected.

32 minutes ago, david1212 said:

You would need to enquire but a unit specifically intended as a battery charger might not work without a substantial battery pack connected.

Good catch, some of the new ‘smart’ chargers wouldn’t work as they would think there not connected to anything and you would have to ‘fool’ them with some dummy load ..

i have that problem with my supply for my rust removal setup