New to this board

antarmike

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An Artic is limited to 15.9 metres, but a heavy locomotive towing multiple trailer can run at 25.9 metres, providing one of the trailers is less than 7 Metres. When running like this I am 25.850 metres.

The Dyson follows a treat, and the rear trailer is a lot narrower so you can forget about that. The only problem is that reverse is out of the question so you always have to be able to move forward. Ie don't turn down dead ends or stop so close to a vehicle that you can't go round it should it choose that moment to break down.

The other problem with running like this is I am about 66 tons and only 300 BHP gross.

Wow :shake:

An Artic is limited to 15.9 metres, but a heavy locomotive towing multiple trailer can run at 25.9 metres, providing one of the trailers is less than 7 Metres. When running like this I am 25.850 metres.

The Dyson follows a treat, and the rear trailer is a lot narrower so you can forget about that. The only problem is that reverse is out of the question so you always have to be able to move forward. Ie don't turn down dead ends or stop so close to a vehicle that you can't go round it should it choose that moment to break down.

The other problem with running like this is I am about 66 tons and only 300 BHP gross.

Mike do you need a certain category on your licence to tow two trailers.

I take it you have been driving this combination for some time ,and are quite familiar with the roads you use going to the events , Still it is very impressive indeed, what do your figure your average mileage to be when you traveling fully loaded like that ?

You need C+E (old HGV1). You have to give 2 days notice to police because of width (10' 9") not because of the length. My round trip to Dorset is 520 Miles and that takes 200 Gallons of Diesel. On top of that I do about another 300-350 miles to local shows..

Average is about 2.75 MPg and roadspeed is 31 MPH max 22-25 MPH Average depending on the amount of dual carraigeway I can work into the route.

Some very, very nice kit Mike.

Love the pics of the trailer and Cent ARV - still get a buzz when I see a Cent ARV. :-D

In relation to towing something of that length -

It's a case of watching what everyone else is doing on the road. I used to recover artics on suspended tow and you would not believe how stupid and oblivious to danger some other road users can be.

Respect Mike - I was always told when towing something that long-

YOU NEED EYES LIKE A GREYHOUNDS DANGLIES.

Markheliops

As I entered a layby I took the wing mirror of an unmarked police car, but he was alright about it. The fact he was partly out of uniform and had a young lady in the car with a very red face and not many clothes might be why he didn't want to go to the insurers

:whistle:

I was once towing the Dyson behind the antar but had a 127" Landy behind on an A bar. In the middle of Milton Keynes some daft bat decides she'll over take me on a roundabout, comes past the Landy and hits the back of the trailer that is three and a half feet wider. She then says why did you hit me? and claimed I had side swiped her. The judge at the small claims court thought my story was more beleivable, especially as she claimed she had overtaken me 1 1/2 miles before the roundabout, and I had caught her up and tried to undertake her on the roundabout! Not bad at 25 miles an hour hey!!!

I was once towing the Dyson behind the antar but had a 127" Landy behind on an A bar. In the middle of Milton Keynes some daft bat decides she'll over take me on a roundabout, comes past the Landy and hits the back of the trailer that is three and a half feet wider. She then says why did you hit me? and claimed I had side swiped her. The judge at the small claims court thought my story was more beleivable, especially as she claimed she had overtaken me 1 1/2 miles before the roundabout, and I had caught her up and tried to undertake her on the roundabout! Not bad at 25 miles an hour hey!!!

Hope she got done for wasting the courts time. :evil:

the skill of other drivers ,something like that was written in Readers Digest a while ago . in which the driver of a large RV was towing his much smaller car behind on a A frame all proper and legal ...... he's driving along and comes to a 4 way stop, that's an intersection where there are stop signs for all four roads . well the fellow at the intersection waves him thru , as he goes thru the fellow who had waved him across slams into the towed vehicle , The driver of the RV is sure the other fellow had given him the OK to proceed :?. the other fellows comment following the crash was something like...... it was one thing to let you get thru but I wasn't about to let that other guy go as well!! :whistle:

the skill of other drivers ,something like that was written in Readers Digest a while ago . in which the driver of a large RV was towing his much smaller car behind on a A frame all proper and legal ...... he's driving along and comes to a 4 way stop, that's an intersection where there are stop signs for all four roads . well the fellow at the intersection waves him thru , as he goes thru the fellow who had waved him across slams into the towed vehicle , The driver of the RV is sure the other fellow had given him the OK to proceed :?. the other fellows comment following the crash was something like...... it was one thing to let you get thru but I wasn't about to let that other guy go as well!! :whistle:

Its SUCH a STUPID excuse, thats its GOT to be TRUE.......... :whistle:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...