Mystery Object No.49

fv1609

Early form of 'Wheel barrow'. disruptor charge or bunker buster pushed up on long trailer then detonated?

Looking at pic, I'd go along with you on that one, Tony;.........It certainly looks as though there is a protruding 'striker', overlapping trolley end.

Early form of 'Wheel barrow'. disruptor charge or bunker buster pushed up on long trailer then detonated?

Yes Tony well done, but why did you take so long? I mean that was 5 minutes ;-)

OK Now what sort of vehicle is it attached to? The tyre marks may give a clue, or they may not. 8-)

bombwheels.jpg

Edited by Marmite!!
Photo links repaired

OK Now what sort of vehicle is it attached to? The tyre marks may give a clue, or they may not. 8-)

Now Clive, I think you are leading us on ;-) You say the wheel tracks may give a clue, but the apparatus is being pushed from left to right on the photo, note position of castors, so those Trackgrip tyre tracks may not be from the pushing vehicle as they are already on the ground. Think I will go for something fairly heavily armoured because there is bound to be a big bang and motions flying everywhere when the charges go off, so what about a Centurion?

I'm rapidly going over to rabbits. :shake: Don't fancy that idea at all, the pole is not long enough by a long shot. And the dolly wheels are wider than the vehicle track, so it would blow up the ones either side, leaving the middle for the vehicle.

Fraid so!

Troodos mountains Cyprus 1959. Mine device idea of RHG officer.

ferretwheels.jpg

I was going to refer to Hobart's first attempt at a 1944 funny to clear mines but by the time I have read the thread it's already far too late. It was mounted on the front of a Churchill and looked like this but a lot bigger. Trouble was it would only detonate about three mines before it had to be replaced.

Then they came up with the Crab.

Hardly a new invention then, but ingenious. Pleased to report we didn't need them in the Troudos Mountains in 1976/7.

Edited after revisiting the picture. Note how the RHG officer is demonstrating a Royal Armoured Corps sartorial idiosyncrasy by wearing his beret in a two-way stretch.

Prior to universal adoption of a bonedome (in the 1980s?) it was normal for RAC crewmen to wear their beret with the badge all but central above the eyes and the material pulled down on both sides. This enabled the radio headset to sit better on the beret.

I lost all my pics except that I recently rediscovered a squadron photograph from Omagh in 1976. It must be close to A3 and I have never got round to getting it scanned. Most of our squadron (less officers) wore their berets in a two-way stretch. If I get it scanned I can post it here.

Edited by Marmite!!
Photo links repaired

ALIEN,

I,D LOVE A COPY OF THE SQN PHOTO, MINE GOT LOST/DAMAGED IN ONE OF MY MANY MOVES.

BARRY.

I knew you would. I just have to get the enthusiasm to dig it out (it isn't deep), fetch it in to work, sweet-talk Reprographics into digitising it for me, then I can mail you a copy. Send me your e-mail addy in a PM.

;o)