Diesel Petrol mix free to anyone in the UK who can use it.

Rickaay

Hi. As the above title states. I have around 65 litres of diesel mixed with petrol which is free to anyone who wants it.

A friend of mine suggested that it might be worth offering it to collector's as old diesel engines are capable of using contaminated fuel so here I am.

I estimate a 60/40 mix of diesel/petrol with a bit of gear oil mixed in for good measure.

Basically I half filled my 2015 transit with petrol during a particularly special moment of brain deadness.
I emptied the tank into 3 drums, one of which had a litre or so of hydraulic oil in the bottom. 

I'm based in Bath, England and don't mind delivering within a 100ish mile radius or meeting up halfway if anyone is further away.

Hopefully someone will have a use for it.

Thanks
Rick

Your Transit should have started and run with it ,  you may have had a problem starting if the engine was hot , you just let them cool and keep brimming the tank with 2 galls of diesel until no petrol.

9 hours ago, ruxy said:

Your Transit should have started and run with it ,  you may have had a problem starting if the engine was hot , you just let them cool and keep brimming the tank with 2 galls of diesel until no petrol.

Whilst that may be true for “traditional” Diesel engines, the ethanol in today’s petrol will destroy the seals, O-rings and plastic components found in modern common rail Diesel engines, and it doesn’t take much to do it. 

• Like 1

Hi. Thanks for the replies. 

mtskull is correct I'm afraid. With a modern common rail diesel petrol can cause a lot of damage. 

I did drive my transit back home, which was only 5 minutes away, and subsequently read that that was the last thing I should have done. 

I emptied the tank as much as I could by disconnecting the filler hose, filling a bucket with the fuel and decanting it into drums. I siphoned out the very last bit that was below the filler connector on the tank. 

This was on the street, as I don't have a garage, and I'm sure that 2 out of every 3 passers by would stop to tell me of the time that they did the same thing to their diesel. 

Anyway, I filled it back up with diesel and it started 1st time and seems to drive fine. When the tank was half full I brimmed it again and have had no issues since. 

Apart from 65 litres of mixed fuel that I need to get rid of. 

On 5/3/2021 at 7:20 AM, mtskull said:

Whilst that may be true for “traditional” Diesel engines, the ethanol in today’s petrol will destroy the seals, O-rings and plastic components found in modern common rail Diesel engines, and it doesn’t take much to do it. 

The main issue with common rail diesels is that the high pressure pump relies on diesel for lubrication and will generate a very fine metallic swarf if the lubrication breaks down. This swarf then travels throughout the diesel system and clogs the precision fuel injectors.

This would be the perfect excuse to get a nice M35A1 truck that will run on this fuel mixture just fine (multi-fuel turbo engine). Absolutely amazing machines, icons of the Vietnam-war and fun to drive... as long as you wear ear protection! 😁

The forum offers free coaching and the masterclass 'How to tell the wife' 2.0, Lesson # 1 being 'Forgiveness is a lot easier to get than permission'.

M35.thumb.jpg.4b4c9e77cb9d833dfbdc59edbf6292fd.jpg

A random pic from the 'net as example

On 5/4/2021 at 10:56 AM, earlymb said:

This would be the perfect excuse to get a nice M35A1 truck that will run on this fuel mixture just fine (multi-fuel turbo engine). Absolutely amazing machines, icons of the Vietnam-war and fun to drive... as long as you wear ear protection! 😁

The forum offers free coaching and the masterclass 'How to tell the wife' 2.0, Lesson # 1 being 'Forgiveness is a lot easier to get than permission'.

M35.thumb.jpg.4b4c9e77cb9d833dfbdc59edbf6292fd.jpg

A random pic from the 'net as example

... or any of the FV430 series with the K60 engine!

Andy

QUOTE.     60/40 mix  diesel/petrol   ,     E5 petrol  - so the total contained  abt.  2% ethanol  ,   sfa    with regular DERV and derivatives.  

Vested interest propaganda - in the absence of any scholarly paper,  and yes - I have had  1998  and  2002  2L   Astra having to have new injector seal rings fitted .    04  Mondeo  , new inject pump and 'high tech electronic coded injectors fitted'   ,  that was IIRC before E5 was on the scene and in any case it was never tanked with petrol in error.

If you looked at all the other  $hit put into every form of DERV , you should not be concerned about that additional 2% potential to do damage.

It is to easy to blame E5 on every petrol fueling failure  BUNA of all types , Viton  etc. can fail with / without contact with Ethanol ,   come Sept. and E10 - then things may be different.