H licence

Yeah worth a try thanks. To be honest I would just like the equipment and I could teach myself I know what they do on the  test and what is expected. I spoke with a ex trainer few years back and said if your paying anymore then couple hundred pounds doing cat H and G tests your getting ripped off. He put a load of people through  using plant machinery which was road legal but stopped doing it and did try and persuade him to help but nothing as doing other stuff now. 

Your problem will come getting insurance, you can be added to someone else's who owns and drives a class H, but as a learner you are unlikely to get insurance to drive on a public highway.
I taught a friend to drive my CVRT, from Europe as a learner on my insurance, cost about £50 for a week.

Edited by Diana and Jackie

2 minutes ago, Diana and Jackie said:

Your problem will come getting insurance, you can be added to someone else's who owns and drives a class H, but as a learner you are unlikely to get insurance to drive on a public highway.
I taught a friend to drive my CVRT, from Europe as a learner on my insurance, cost about £50 for a i

Yeah that's when your in a catch 22 and wouldn't have a problem paying any administration costs like that but alot of farmers don't want to risk their machines which I can understand to a point. Always keeping my eyes open and never know something may come up. 

5 hours ago, Rodney Maynard said:

Yeah have tried this route with plant companys but is finding equipment that is road legal. I can rent equipment but none of  it road legal and they won't help you to make it legal  not interested but haven't given up just yet. 

it is exempt from being road legal for the test, as the H licence is legally required in certain instances, ie unloading and loading tracked plant where it involves crossing or travelling roadways

1 hour ago, terryb said:

it is exempt from being road legal for the test, as the H licence is legally required in certain instances, ie unloading and loading tracked plant where it involves crossing or travelling roadways

I have asked about this and was told it has to have a registration plate, insurance, and tax if applicable because you could go on the road. I know some people have stated they never went on a road but you can't guarantee that. 

Just a slight off-set on this topic.  If someone is looking for a vehicle to start providing training for the H Licence, how about using on of these?  

https://uk-tracks.com/models/tinger-track-2/

The website says that they can be road registered.

As the vehicle is 'steered by tracks',  does it matter whether that is by levers or 'motorcycle handlebars'.

2 minutes ago, Oh Five said:

Just a slight off-set on this topic.  If someone is looking for a vehicle to start providing training for the H Licence, how about using on of these?  

As the vehicle is 'steered by tracks',  does it matter whether that is by levers or 'motorcycle handlebars'.

I'm sure these would be legal.

1 minute ago, Oh Five said:

When I did my h it was in an Argocat which had handlebars... but I know Nick told me they weren’t allowed to use it any more, so they sold it and brought a huge tractor thing

• 1 month later...

Hello, I'm looking at doing my h license aswell but think the price doubling in the last few years is disgusting.  From what I understand about what nick mead has said is, he was told by dvsa that they will only do it using the tracked tractor now and it has to be in traffic. I can understand that buying the challenger tractor and the cost of the rubber tracks mean he was looking at increasing the price. Not sure if the tester will come to you anymore.  They were going to do away with the h license, but realised some people do need it so just decide to make it a lot harder,  I suspect to put of Joe blogs from getting it to drive military stuff on the road. If anyone has found anything recently that is concrete please share. 

39 minutes ago, Jimy2bins said:

Hello, I'm looking at doing my h license aswell but think the price doubling in the last few years is disgusting.  From what I understand about what nick mead has said is, he was told by dvsa that they will only do it using the tracked tractor now and it has to be in traffic. I can understand that buying the challenger tractor and the cost of the rubber tracks mean he was looking at increasing the price. Not sure if the tester will come to you anymore.  They were going to do away with the h license, but realised some people do need it so just decide to make it a lot harder,  I suspect to put of Joe blogs from getting it to drive military stuff on the road. If anyone has found anything recently that is concrete please share. 

Have you actually contacted dvla and found out what they say? I have had the same chat with Nick myself, however I have heard the other people are still doing h license’s if so how? 

I have been in contact with dvla and been told I can instruct people to get there license, I just didn’t go that extra mile to find out what else is involved 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jimy2bins said:

I was told that dvla were considering getting rid of the cat H and the F tractor and put them under the hgv license. My info came from a museum as he wants to do his and a local company who trained Cat h and G road rollers can't get insurance to do Cat H anymore. Not sure how concrete it is and nothing on the dvsa website. 

26 minutes ago, SirLanceUK said:

Have you actually contacted dvla and found out what they say? I have had the same chat with Nick myself, however I have heard the other people are still doing h license’s if so how? 

I have been in contact with dvla and been told I can instruct people to get there license, I just didn’t go that extra mile to find out what else is involved 

Was thinking of doing just that.

19 minutes ago, Rodney Maynard said:

I was told that dvla were considering getting rid of the cat H and the F tractor and put them under the hgv license. My info came from a museum as he wants to do his and a local company who trained Cat h and G road rollers can't get insurance to do Cat H anymore. Not sure how concrete it is and nothing on the dvsa website. 

That would be handy as already have that.

I haven't contacted dvsa but with the driver shortage on hgv side I think tests for G and H will be put on the back burner or changed at some point. I would to do both of them but can't see it happening. I think the only way you might get the a H licence is asking a farmer for his challenger or own one yourself and chances of getting a test at present pretty low. 

• 1 year later...

Ok chaps. For a carved in stone, straight from the horses mouth answer.

I haven’t feckin got one but I will get one with the help of Lord John Attlee, House of Lords who shows a great interest in this subject being a military vehicle owner.

We at tanks a lot used to do a simple off road test where if you could spell your name you probably passed. Tracking around the fields with a DVSA examiner watching from a distanc trying not to loose a wellington.

Then  things changed and the test had to be done on the public highway with a road registered taxed and insured vehicle. We adapted an Argocat with mondeo wing mirrors and things went well for several years . If a student did bounce it of a parked car things were normally taken care of on the spot with a fist full of cash or a drive in a tank back on the farm. Then they banned it saying it was to small. I said it was track laying  lever steering and the principle was the same as all tracked vehicles plus it was much safer for other road users. They threatened to revoke all of my past customer passes going back years if I made a fuss.

Then DVSA said we had to use a 432 and the test would be a mixture of on and off road. After a few months they banned them.

Then  DVSA said we had to use CVRT and the whole test had to be carried out on the public highway after a few months they banned them.

They told me that all military tracked vehicles were a driving platform designed for two a driver and commander and were unsuitable. I said I would modify one and they responded. It can’t be modified who could say if it was suitable.

The only option was to splash out on a very special Cat challenger tracked tractor from a vineyard in France with extra thin 25 inch tracks. The wheels had to be pulled in to so the overall width of the vehicle was within 2.55 m.The big yellow monster cost £58,000 plus vat and cost a hatful to run the little wheels are £600 each and the tracks are about £15,000 and don’t even ask about insurance.

it’s come to my attention a couple of people have taken a test recently in a military vehicle which I’m delighted to hear. It means I can sell the Cat tractor and go back to using one of the dozens of  military machines again I have parked all around Tanks a lot.

I have written to all at the DVSA  including Craig’s Harman who unfortunately is not in our area anymore who was genuinely a breath of fresh air and the very helpful Lord Attlee and I’m waiting for permission and an apology and compensation.. If this is not forthcoming I would expect them to revoke and passes issued in tracked military vehicles going back three years when they insisted on Tanks a lot buying the Cat challenger . Have we been victimised, or is their an underground movement to stop or slowdown the amount of H licence places available. Or am I just becoming a bitter twisted syndicalism old barstard.
WATCH THIS SPACE.

Dear All,

Unfortunately, and as I explained to NIck, I am currently recovering from Chemo for NHL and I am still clinically extremely vulnerable.  The doc has banned me from London until Feb next year and I do not take any avoidable risks.  Touch wood, I have not yet had an infection.  Bearing in mind the inconsistent way in which DVSA has been operating, it will make for an interesting meeting at a senior level at the Department for Transport when I can get to London.

The good news about my illness is that it makes for plenty of time to work on the REME Museum's Conqueror ARV!

John