What is the best picture

yogi

Deuce

I think it is a Catarpiller earth mover. This one belongs to a RAF SQD, can't remember which one. They use them to build make shift runways.

As far as Im awear the US don't have them. I think they are still useing the M9 ACE which is designed for the same job. They are not for digging just pushing.

The information given maybe totaly wrong and I'm sure someone will soon correct me.

Here we go then, this is my first picture. The photo was take during 6BTLs exercise Iron revenge, 2006. There were a whole host of wrecked vehicles that were brought to the Plain from Ashchurch. This one is a Centurion ARV.

What a great picture! An iron dinosaur.....

Could you please explain a little bit more about the exercise (was it some kind of "RECOVERYFEST"?), and what sort of unit 6BTL is?

The Cat 30/30s must have cost a bomb to develop - are they simply a high-speed dozer? What advantage do they have over a slightly modified commercial spec. machine I wonder.......

The Cat 30/30s must have cost a bomb to develop - are they simply a high-speed dozer? What advantage do they have over a slightly modified commercial spec. machine I wonder.......

Similar questions occurred to me but so far I haven't been able to find any other reference to them, Cat don't list them on their website and a Google search failed to turn anything up so it looks as if it may be something produced only for a specific contract.

Thank you for the information I d not know the manufacturer for sure , I attended a local parade not long ago in which there was a brand new farm tractor most likely then a "CAT" that had a simular sized track and sprocket assemble although the cab was more like that of a conventional farm tractor engine in front < the blade end> and the cab in the rear < the large sprocket end> .

Re the Cat 30/30, there is a picture on the Army website with a description of its role:

http://www.army.mod.uk/royalengineers/org/regular/39regt/key_equipments.htm

Scroll down to the seventh picture. Looks like a beast!

And another one (page in Dutch)

http://www.bouwmachineforum.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4400&sid=6ceda75d1e45d9a46ed551a44967f34d

NOS

The excersise was called Iron revenge and basicly it was to train new recruits in the art of recovering all kinds of military vehicles. They had a whole host of vehicles rangeing from Land rovers to Chieftain MBTs and CHARVs.

Here is a link that will shed a bit of light on 6BN

http://www.army.mod.uk/reme/6_bn_reme/index.htm

If I remember rightly there were about 12 CRARRVs opperating from Fowler BKS. The two days I spent with them were magical these guys work and play hard.