BrakeDown...........

andyroo

Thank you for the update and for fixing the other photo's links .. She's looking really nice ...How's it drive now? did the rebuilds improve how it moved? less throttle needed or less steering corrections due to drag from the failing drives?

Thanks for asking about how the Striker is abn deuce.

The scrap man was impressed with the bits..............

She was up and running agine just after Christmas. She run's a lot better as you do not have to keep correcting the steering so much to the left. Also we have gone from 2mpg up to 4!!!! I can only guess but I suspect the final drive was past its best when I got the Striker origonaly. The final drive that I fitted came from Marcus Glenn. As it was a takeoff I stripped and rebuilt it replacing all the oil seals. I now have two more final drives as spare. Though I wont be changing one on the side of the road;)

I check the oil before every show now as its only a 5 minute job so hopefully I can detect early on if there are going to be any more problems.

The Striker has been to 4 shows this year and done almost 140 miles. I now have 3 out of 4 MV's working. Next year I hope to have all 4 :D

Yes the Striker has been back on the road for a while, it was at W&P a few weeks ago, sporting a missile!

Chris

IMG_4046.JPG

Evidently representing the missile just out of the tube.

1. Did the round for Striker come in the same packaging as it did for Mark 5 Ferret and (was it?) FV438? The empty fibreglass tube inside the launcher would then be an interesting addition (and you wouldn't need actual rounds in the other launchers, just the siver-paper covered fibreglass tubes. You could then display the other rounds for Joe Public to admire and go, "Oooooh, rocket!").

2. I notice they are marked as PRAC rounds (pale blue) but marked with a gold band to indicate explosive (because of 4000m of rocket fuel presumably). I don't remember ever seeing the gold band on the PRAC round, but then again, it would only be visible AFTER it had left the tube heading downrange, so why should I? I cannot therefore pass comment.

However, I presume the round is actually inert (containing neither explosive warhead nor rocket fuel). That being the case, I'd posit that the markings are not accurately indicative of the current state of the round either way. This being the case, have you considered getting hold of the markings for a service round to improve the overall image of the scenario? I'd expect a service round to be painted Olive Drab with Gold band, but since I was never actually Swingfire-trained, this is all observation and pure guesswork on my part.

No offence intended.

Evidently representing the missile just out of the tube.

1. Did the round for Striker come in the same packaging as it did for Mark 5 Ferret and (was it?) FV438? The empty fibreglass tube inside the launcher would then be an interesting addition (and you wouldn't need actual rounds in the other launchers, just the siver-paper covered fibreglass tubes. You could then display the other rounds for Joe Public to admire and go, "Oooooh, rocket!").

2. I notice they are marked as PRAC rounds (pale blue) but marked with a gold band to indicate explosive (because of 4000m of rocket fuel presumably). I don't remember ever seeing the gold band on the PRAC round, but then again, it would only be visible AFTER it had left the tube heading downrange, so why should I? I cannot therefore pass comment.

However, I presume the round is actually inert (containing neither explosive warhead nor rocket fuel). That being the case, I'd posit that the markings are not accurately indicative of the current state of the round either way. This being the case, have you considered getting hold of the markings for a service round to improve the overall image of the scenario? I'd expect a service round to be painted Olive Drab with Gold band, but since I was never actually Swingfire-trained, this is all observation and pure guesswork on my part.

No offence intended.

I bought the swingfire via evilbay believe it or not. Cost me 170 or so pounds and six months of emails to get it though.

It should be in the glassfiber launch tube, but as I don't have any...........

Light blue is practice round, same as other projectiles. I have a number of 76mm rounds for the Saladin that are blue. A live swingfire is total sealed in the fiberglass launch tube and usually green (shade unknown but assume olive drab).

I have on idea what the yellow band signifies. The missile is stamped up inert in several places. I've had it all to bits (as you do) and is quite interesting how it all works. Considering its life in flight is no more than 28 seconds a lot of very presion made parts go into one of those missiles. Took weeks to figure out how it all works.

Only two types of swingfire were used:- ATGM HEAT K33or ATGM PRAC K19.

Although not correct, Joe public would not know that the Striker were a missile launce vehicle if they could not see the ends of the missiles. So even if I got some launch tubes (I could do with some to put in the stowage space inside though) would leave it as it is.

A mate of mine has been doing some editting :D

Flames Attempt 1a.jpg

After reading this post,DHM and reading the comments also not trying to tell some of you how to suck eggs but an incident like this is DEADLY (in my M816 photos there is part of a memorial garden to all the solders killed in training accidents).

As a driver and crew commander of the M113 Light AFV family of vehicles for 21 years may I make some suggestions?

1 Put some red dye in the final drives, this will help you identify any seals that become damaged. Richard should know what sort of dye.

2 Conduct a proper first parade/ halt parade/ last parade every time the vehicle is used.