TTM's WLF rear bogie work

TooTallMike

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to prove Mark isn't the only one doing this job on his truck, here are some more recent shots of the bogie pivot bearings. I had to scrape mud and rust from them but they seem to be usable so they're going back in.

Why is there a pair of jeans standing by the bogie pivot. :nono:

I'd say you've overdone it on the starch Mike.

Still, at least you can just step in to them when you want to get dressed. :whistle:

• 2 weeks later...

Ciao amici,

I'm back and my truck still loves me! They're so much more forgiving than a dog or a girlfriend :-D.

I've spent the day pulling the diffs and was pleasantly surprised that there wasn't too much crud in the bottoms, not too much corrosion inside and that the diffs appear to be in very good condition. I'm also pleased to see that there are no phosphour-bronze components so continued use of EP90 shouldn't be a problem (light blue touchpaper...)

I've got the refurbished rear springs back from Paddington Motor Springs along with newly-made U-bolts to replace the ones I had to cut off.

We're off to the Emporium of Beautiful Things tomorrow to get lots of new parts so I'll be able to start the rebuild in earnest on Wednesday with freeing off the seized drain plug and then re-fitting the diffs.

ps. it was warmer in Italy :shake: :shake: :shake:

Well done , how distorted were the leaf springs before you had them rebuilt/re-arched compared to them now?Thats great news on the final clean out of the axle housings from the earlier photo's and descriptions it seemed you might have found loads of shavings or crud inside .

Welcome back oh tall one.

Good hunting on your shopping trip and don't forget you have my Santa list. ;-)

I expect both you and Vince (dressed as an ELF) down my chimney, roundabout the 25th furnishing WLF parts. I will of course leave the traditional tipple of EP90 and a piece of old, smelly cheese. :-D

Cheers mate.

I LOVE the smell of EP90 in de morrnin! Found out quite by chance, as it was awaiting recycling, used EP90 with fouled diesel mix is an excellent penetrating oil. Wrapped a rag soaked in it round a rusted up trailer hitch, covered with plastic bag and left overnight. Freed the hitch and took the muck and paint off!

Well done , how distorted were the leaf springs before you had them rebuilt/re-arched compared to them now?Thats great news on the final clean out of the axle housings from the earlier photo's and descriptions it seemed you might have found loads of shavings or crud inside .

Abn - they were a very odd shape, I think through years of overloading, as well as from rust between the leaves.

it will be interesting to see just how much height you may gain when you go to roll the bogies back underneath the rear end ... as in how much you will have to jack it up? :dunno:

Not only that, also the axle stands have sunk about 3 inches into the dirt floor over the last 2 months! I have a cunning plan though - we rolled the bogie out with wheels still on the rear axle but it's going back in without wheels on.

Well, while Grasshopper has wallowed in domestic bliss :hug:, some of us have been working hard in the fog. :|

I now have the diff gaskets and internal and external seals done. the diffs are re-fitted. All of the old torque rods were cut off and the metalastic bushes removed (no mean feat :argh:). The new torque rods are loosely installed and the spring seat pivots are back on with new grease seals. Today I refitted the brake chambers (some new diaphragms) and newly re-made road springs and U-bolts. Apparently tomorrow is a day off ( :dunno: :-() but on Boxing Day I will be re-building and re-installing the inter-axle prop. and then looking at the brake plumbing :nut:. After that it'll be more-or-less ready to roll back under the truck.

I've attached some photos but the light is so poor they don't really do it justice. I'm really pleased at progress thus far after such a long break from it.

Saeson's greetings to all. ;-)

That surely has been a huge amount of work , in a very short time! The WLF will have a completely different feel to it now!!how tattered were the old seals when you got down to them?So with all that renewed what do you figure for the oil consumption of the axles now ? a few drops a day compared to ounces ?

Hope you are going to paint it before putting back Mike.

Welcome back

The plan is to jet-wash it with detergent before it goes back underneath, fit it, then spray it green just before the wheels go on. I normally spend an inordinate amount of time prepping and priming parts before I refit them but frankly there's no point on the rear bogie as it'll be covered in road dirt and oil from the crane gear and rear winch in no time :roll:

abn - I'm hoping it won't consume any oil at all now! I think I got through a jerrycan of oil in the two rear diffs in 400 miles to France and back last year. :oops2:

All the torque rods were shot so I'm very pleased I swallowed the cost and opted for swapping the lot. It is going to be very interesting to see how it drives after all this work. Probably won't make a blind bit of difference...

Hey, those rear springs have one serious SET in them - reckon you'll be doing the fronts just to get back onto a level keel, sailor (not)!

I did the fronts when I first got the truck so this is just completing the process. I think the arch of these springs is a good two to three inches greater than before. The ride height and stance may change considerably! She should handle like a sportscar now 8-)

I wasn't meaning to sound negative about Your work Tootall , I hope with all those new seals and Gaskets and things being tightened up correctly that there wouldn't be a chance for any leaks to be Honest ...its just that everyone says that MV's just seep or ooze or drip no matter what you do , that the only difference is they do those things faster when both the Vehicle and the air temps are high...... unless the things that are meant the have oil or fluids in them are empty .

As for the handling I'd think that it will be much more stable and not as apt to wonder as it's traveling at speed , the rear bogie's should be much more flexable and hug the terrain better as well .

I wasn't meaning to sound negative about Your work Tootall , I hope with all those new seals and Gaskets and things being tightened up correctly that there wouldn't be a chance for any leaks to be Honest ...its just that everyone says that MV's just seep or ooze or drip no matter what you do , that the only difference is they do those things faster when both the Vehicle and the air temps are high...... unless the things that are meant the have oil or fluids in them are empty .

A

No worries ;-), anyway I think the best I can realistically hope for is that it should leak less than before :roll:

Some time I'll have to post a photo of the oil slick on the road outside my house resulting from years of parking tucks, Land Rovers and assorted other old cr@p out there.