TTM's WLF rear bogie work

TooTallMike

Ciao tutti!

For those of you who don't already know, I'm working in Venice 'til Christmas time and my internet access is sporadic as the hotel WiFi is flaky at best, so apologies for not posting much recently but there hasn't been a lot going on in my MV life.

Anyway, I've left Grasshopper and the gang with a long list of jobs to do and I'm pleased to say that they've actually started some of them :-D

One of my plans for this winter is to remove and recondition the WLF rear bogie as it's leaking copious amounts of oil from the diff gaskets and seals. They are the type that drop into the top of the axle so the only way to change the gaskets is to pull out the rear bogie and lift them out. At the same time I’m going to get the rear springs re-done, replace the brake chamber diaphragms and air lines, re-wire the rear end, and jet-wash and paint everything.

I was back last weekend and made a start on the job. The bolts which held the bogie on were extremely tight and rather inaccessible so Grasshopper flame-cut them off. We discovered that the bolts were partially wasted due to corrosion and movement where they passed through the chassis and bracket so it’s a good thing they’re going to be replaced. After taking off the propshaft and brake lines, we removed all the rear wheels and dropped the drums down onto planks of wood. Then we just pulled the bogie out backwards with a tractor.

More to follow some time...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most difficult job, as Mike has already mentioned was removing the 8 bolts which heald the bogie to the chassis. We tried using a large propane burner to heat the nuts, then put a scaffold pole on the end of a 3/4 drive socket and bar, but it would not shift easily. It would have taken days of work to remove them in this way, so we went for the cutting option.

I enjoy flame cutting. Ever since I saw Mr T use one in the A-Team......

Once the chassis was jacked up a it more, it seperated from the bogie quite nicely. I love it when a plan comes together!

Problem is , it's still coming apart. I notice HIM has buzzed of for 3 months. Still got this picture of a Gondola with a pair of knees trying to get under one of the low bridges out there. I'm definitley getting worse, just wish I could draw. Are you going to strip the bogie completly?

Pretty much. We already stripped the rear hubs earlier in the year, so the bearings, seals and brakes are already done.

I think the springs are being overhauled or replaced, as they are very peculier shapes, and the diff gaskets definitely need to be done. The brake adjusters need stripping too. All in a days work....

Anyways, I get all of the fun of taking it to bits, and his Lordship can worry about re-assembly!

• 3 weeks later...

Back from spaghetti-land for a few days before I go to Singapore for 10 days on Friday :whistle:

Did lots of stripping down and cleaning of parts yesterday and today.

Removed handbrake assembly (worn shoes), lovely vented handbrake disc, output flange from transfer box and seal housing (seal to be replaced). Also removed upper torque rods (knackered), brake chambers (diaphragms to be replaced) and brake hoses (some to be replaced). Also removed some very scabby French wiring (to be replaced).

Rear brake chambers have been modified with an extra section to give an air handbrake (I hate it when Grasshopper is right :bow:) thus they each have a stupid number of diaphragms. I wonder if this was a French Army mod. or whether it was done by the recovery company.

Have fun in the sun Mike and don't you worry about Vince.

I've offered him doughnuts and a half for overtime payments and I won't be calling him names. :-D

Must admit Mike and Vince have the right idea in that if the rear bogie has to come off, may as well pull everything else off and check everything.

We know what happens if something breaks on the WLF. :schocked:

Looking forward to stripping mine and work will commence soon.

Markheliops

...and I won't be calling him names. :-D

He only works if properly abused. I've found 'short person' jokes are particularly effective :-D

When are you planning on starting yours? I hope you won't have done it all before I get back - I want to compare and contrast, not to mention getting my hands dirty helping :-). It looks as though all the parts to put mine back together should be available by the time I return in December so I'll be able to crack on with it then. It didn't take as long as I thought it would to get it stripped down this far. In fact I actually ran out of jobs this afternoon and had to resort to tidying up :shake: I know the build-up will take a lot longer but I'm really looking forward to it. The worst job I'm envisaging so far is going to be lining up the rear bogie mounting bolts but we have a PLAN.

• 4 weeks later...

Mike made a fleeting visit to "us left behind doing-the-hard-work" the other weekend. :whistle:

As quickly as he had appeared, he disappeared in a puff of smoke...... (well, steam...)

Once the smoke had cleared, Mike was gone and all that was left was a less-grimy Ward LaFrance rear bogey. The steam cleaning genie had worked marvels. (Come on....it must be panto season by now)

We then decided to remove the rear springs from the newly-clean bogie. There was no way the U bolt nuts were going to undo without excessive effort, so Mike used an angle grinder to cut through the U bolts. They did go with a bang until I suggested jacking up the central pivot beam to release the spring tension.

The springs were an interesting shape after many years abuse, and have now been despatched to Paddington springs (of Wembly) to be overhauled or whatever-they-do to springs to get them back to there original shape. They will also be manufacturing new U bolts.