Ferret Starter Problem

Sylvester

Question

Hi Folks,

I have a problem!! :banghead:

Ferret Mk 2/4, Has been running fine, then parked up after the shows, now....... It Won't Start!! :argh:

Turn it on, operate starter switch, lights dim but nowt happens! Occasionally the lights brighten slightly then when you operate the switch you get a click/clunk from the starter....but thats it!

Have topped up the batteries, charged them both up, reconnected it all....and same again!! :banghead:

HELP!!! :flower:

Am I overlooking somat or is there a simple remedy?? :rtfm:

All instrument guages and lights work, but its getting me depressed now!

Would welcome any suggestions PLEASE!! :wave:

All the Best Folks

Fred

Hi All... Me Again!! :schocked:

Andrea, I am a paramedic with Kent...I mean South East Coast Amb Serv.!!!

It was much easier to just say Kent!! :tup:

Tony, Yes have checked batteries, also these were brand new when I got them two years ago, straight out of the boxes! Had them filled and charged up at my little local battery shop. :cofee:

I did have a loose connection in the switch box when I was recovering the vehicle a couple of years ago, though this was not actually causing a problem at the time...But...Will be taking it apart again soon and inspect it all! :help:

The clunk that I get from the engine on the odd occasions that it makes a contact is definately a solenoid kick!

But I am now wondering if ..as there are three contacts on the starter switch...it may well be one of these is up the chuff perhaps?

Will find out soon !!! :captain:

Dave and Sirhc thanks, will let you know if all goes T*** Up!! :whistle:

Anyway, All the Beast,

Fred :banana:

Sounding more and more like you got mucky problems. have you tried taking a lead straight from batteries to starter? See if it kicks in. If it does that stops one problem. Silly thing try using a jump lead as an earth, if it works got it. If not its good old tedious find the wire time.

I'm afraid i had the same problems as described.Turned out to be a shagged starter motor.

I meant to say that when my Mark 2 showed these symptoms (see previous post in thread), this was diagnosed for me and aa A Mech and I spent 6 hours undoing about two bolts from underneath to remove starter motor (without a pack lift cos we were in an outstation miles from home) while a new one was shipped out from Nicosia, then another six hours putting the new one in via the reverse route only to find (obviously) that this was not the problem.h

Cheers Alien!! :box:

I have been tied up on a few interior decorating jobs just lately in between shifts.... So... Not been able to pursue my woe's yet on the old girl, but will keep all informed of said problem!! :banghead:

In case it should ever happen to anyone else ou there! :tup:

All the Beast

Fred :banana: