Foot and Mouth; events being cancelled

LeeEnfield

Well, today got notification of 1st (to me) event thats been cancelled due to the current F&M outbreak. :cry:

Anyone in south that was booked to attend 'stuarts do', next weekend, (23/23 sept) please be advised its not happening. Letters will be going out this week, I believe.

Andy

With F&M outbreaks, what always alarms me is that when you see a vehicle crossing a restricted zone is that the wheels get sprayed limply with a magical disinfectant. I doubt if it penetrates into mud in the treads & you never see the inside wall of the wheel getting sprayed!

As we live on a small holding we get automatic messages from DEFRA about animal movement prohibitions. Fair enough. BUT what do they do? Load the dead cows in a large truck that you can often see is leaking & transport the cows for incineration to another part of the country, out of the public eye :dunno:

I quote the last two words spoken in The Bridge on the River Kwai

"Madness, madness"

With F&M outbreaks, what always alarms me is that when you see a vehicle crossing a restricted zone is that the wheels get sprayed limply with a magical disinfectant. I doubt if it penetrates into mud in the treads & you never see the inside wall of the wheel getting sprayed!

As we live on a small holding we get automatic messages from DEFRA about animal movement prohibitions. Fair enough. BUT what do they do? Load the dead cows in a large truck that you can often see is leaking & transport the cows for incineration to another part of the country, out of the public eye :dunno:

I quote the last two words spoken in The Bridge on the River Kwai

"Madness, madness"

True, very true.

Re the spraying of wheels, etc,........have you seen when people dip their boots - then put foot back in EXACTLY the same spot, instead of walking through trough. :whistle:

News tonight reckons the cattle being culled now had lessions that were around 10 DAYS old........................... :-o :-o WHO DIDN'T SPOT THIS. !!!

(and yes, being news, etc, I'm NOT taking this as gospel truth)

Moderator here requesting we don't go too :offtopic:

But - being a mouthy soul - I hope I speak for some/all with this point.

Being a townie I am ignorant about the realities of animal management (except for two cats). I have strong views about the countryside - here's the main one: I don't agree with town and city people passing judgement on something they know uckfall about. And thus I am sure we all sympathise with the people and animals suffering because of this mess and hope HMG will actually do something the farming community can take comfort in.

Here endeth the lesson.

The only comfort for the farming communiyt would be for the government to pay compensation for the huge problems for which they are solely responsible. FAT CHANCE.

Shouldn't think that's likely, doesn't work like that with health, defence etc

Woah there boys!! I trained at an agricultural college so claim intrest. Who ever was responsible, money cannot compensate for the years of work buliding a herd of cattle of flock of sheep or pigs, any cloven hoof animal is susceptable. We can argue about vectors till the cows come home. The disenfectants used are very powerful and have a susiduary defence while wet. The best thing most people can do is avoid control zones if possible, that includes events in such areas of any sort. Symptoms can be very subtle and if animals are outside it can be difficlut to spot without close examination. first sign is often lamness, but sheep in particular can go lame for a thousand reasons.