Aden, pictures of vehicles in service.

da bomb

It would appear that the gentleman holding his head has just discovered either the unyielding steel above him and just smacked his head into same or is shocked to discover one of his wheels has gone missing somewhere along the way and can't bear the thought of having to 1 retrace his travels on foot or ????

Stolly in bit's in Aden!

R22.jpg

The Stolly must have been brand new?

ISTR watching The Troubleshooters in the late 1960s, a UKTV series about the Mogul Oil Company and their rivals Zenith. It was IMHO advanced for its day. The episode I always remember is the action man borrowing a Stolly, so brand new it was touted as the next big thing in the industry, and wading through swamps in it. Which makes its coming into service about the time of Aden. Put it this way: as a result I always thought of Stollies as new when we used them in BAOR in the late 1970s.

Or a meringue?

I suppose I could go and Google it, but then I couldn't impress you with the dimmest darkest recesses of my memory, full of junk.

Edited by Marmite!!

• 8 months later...

The radiator blind is part of a tropicalisation kit to reverse the airflow through the engine so that it is sucked in above the centre wheel mudguard and blown out through the front grille.

One of our dreaded Saracen APCRAs, that we kept for all of about a month until they issued us with ACVs in the depths of a freezing German winter, had said trop kit fitted. Entirely appropriate ... NOT.

The radiator blind is part of a tropicalisation kit to reverse the airflow through the engine so that it is sucked in above the centre wheel mudguard and blown out through the front grille.

One of our dreaded Saracen APCRAs, that we kept for all of about a month until they issued us with ACVs in the depths of a freezing German winter, had said trop kit fitted. Entirely appropriate ... NOT.

Looks like it was a total success in Aden as well, they ditched it and went for the far more useful sand tyres!!

Looks like it was a total success in Aden as well, they ditched it and went for the far more useful sand tyres!!

Lots of Saracens were converted to Reverse Flow Cooling, and they were used like that in Northern Ireland, aswell as Germany. You can spot an RFC Saracen as they have the larger beehive chimney pot engine deck covers aswell as the front apron.

Chris

There is far more to the reverse flow cooling than that. The hull is reworked so that the trunking around front of drivers position is removed, this was on normal cooling vehicles to evacuate the hot air. The fans were changed so that they drew air from the engine blowing forward through the rad. The beehive engine covers on reverse flow vehicles, were cooling air intakes. The flap on front of radiator louvres was neccessary when travelling as with forward motion and air blowing out of rad, it would be stalemate, so the flap allows the hot air to be forced out either side. I have known people remove the flap because it looks "ugly", then wonder why it overheats :(

How does that work?

How does that work?

See Richard's reply above. I had forgotten about the beehives on the engine decks (I had successfully wiped practically all trace of the ACPRA from my memory until I discoved this forum.

ISTR that the beehives made a good, ergonomic somewhere to sit after a run in the German winter to thaw out frozen feet and Farmer Giles.

Britain pulled out of Aden on the 29th November 1967, so it would suggest it was sent to Libya from Aden on the 1st November as part of the withdrawal (Libya was used as a desert training area). Saladins were used in Aden and in the interior, in what was known as the Radfan.

Have a look here: http://www.britains-smallwars.com/main/index1.html

Some good stuff on that site particularly covering Aden, which has become a bit of a forgotten war, but it is also an excellent link to everything thats gone on since WW2.

Maybe it was sent to Aden as soon as it was in service, as Saladins seemed to have been there for quite some time, prior to Britain pulling out of the region, if it was, there is a chance it was photographed, Saladins seemed to be quite photogenic in Aden.

If you find out the various armoured regiments that operated in Aden, then do a search on their various associations and old pals websites, they are usually a good source of photos, you usually have to do a bit of trawling through loads of Pictures, but its amazing what is out there.

As far as i can tell, alot of vehicles stayed in theatre, and the various regiments swapped in and out using resident vehicles, whether that applied to Armour or not im not sure.

Maybe it was sent to Aden as soon as it was in service, as Saladins seemed to have been there for quite some time, prior to Britain pulling out of the region.

I suspect a spot of cross threading (appropriate term on this forum). Earlier in the thread, looking at the Stolly pics, I suggested that it was the Stolly which could only have caught the last days in Aden. AFAIK the Saladin was there for a long time.

Or is it me that is confused? I am not rereading the whole thread to check - I am supposed to be working.

• 1 year later...
I was going to kick off an aden picture thread and remembered this one from before the crash, here are a couple of Odd saracens, one has a radiator blind or something at the front, the other one has VERY large sand tyres!

Does anybody have any idea what size these tires are? I've wanted to build a scale model of this particular one for some time.

TIA

Fyll