Aden, pictures of vehicles in service.

da bomb

Found this link while looking for pictures of vehicles in Aden.

It is mainly of 16/5 Lancers tour in theatre with Bahrain as a staging post and features black and white and colour pictures of Centurions, BARV, Ferrets, RL's and Landrovers amongst others.

Interesting as Aden tends to be almost a forgotten post war conflict and certainly not one that springs to most peoples minds.

http://news.webshots.com/album/209684866ijMtqE?start=0

Anybody have other vehicle pictures from this theatre??

Hi Adam

I have a vested interest in this particular "small war" as my Saladin first saw service there.

Any links or pictures from this time would be gratefully appreciated.

Just to whet your appetite though here is an in service picture of my Saladin on patrol in the Crater district.

john_tucker3.jpg

As you can see she has seen some action with small arms hits to the front mudwing.

It would be good to be able to find out more about both her service and other events over there.

Hope to have more people posting to this with interesting tidbits

Regards

Edited by Marmite!!

Thats an excellent photograph, nothing better than seeing vehicles in theatre to get an accurate picture of how they were used.

And even better if you can find a picture of your own particular vehicle!!

Keep them coming, after all there was more to "Post war" than Northern Ireland.

• 2 weeks later...

why do i now want a SIIa LWB landy to do up like that lol

My last Landy was a '64 S.W.B, and I marked that up as Aden. A friend served there with the 11th Hussars, so I marked it up as a vehicle in his old unit. One of the things he said was that sand/black camo paint was always matt, but vehicles just sand colour were often gloss. I did question him as to whether gloss was definately right, he said it was, so thats how i did mine. He was kind enough to give me exact details of size and details of markings, positioning, colours, squadron markings, etc

G506

awesome, i am still finishing off my 1977 FFR although i am currently trying to get around my mum to left me have a 1969 series 2a amb which i get it will be same colors as my other landy.

but if i have my way i would have a SWB and marked up as an aden vet

awesome, i am still finishing off my 1977 FFR although i am currently trying to get around my mum to left me have a 1969 series 2a amb which i get it will be same colors as my other landy.

but if i have my way i would have a SWB and marked up as an aden vet

Although I quite miss the sandy colour SWB, I love my old 109 in Deep Bronze Green! But Ive always liked desert marked vehicles, something different to rows of preserved MVs in green! If you decided to go down the Aden route, I think somewhere I still have the stencils I made, including the Dow, which is the sailing boat emblem in black and yellow, seen on most vehicles in the Aden protectorate

G506

• 2 months later...

ADEN on the telly Monday night 26/11/2007 at 2000 hrs!

Mad Mitch and the Last Battle of the... British Empire. Forty years after the British withdrawal from Aden, Cameron Buttle travels to Yemen to tell the story of the Scottish soldiers who fought defending Britain's only Arab colony.

My dads amazed Aden is on the telly, he was there with 2nd BN Coldstream Guards, and reckons its the first time he has heard of the army in Aden on the TV in forty years!!

ADEN on the telly Monday night 26/11/2007 at 2000 hrs!

Mad Mitch and the Last Battle of the... British Empire. Forty years after the British withdrawal from Aden, Cameron Buttle travels to Yemen to tell the story of the Scottish soldiers who fought defending Britain's only Arab colony.

My dads amazed Aden is on the telly, he was there with 2nd BN Coldstream Guards, and reckons its the first time he has heard of the army in Aden on the TV in forty years!!

Any more details, on this ??

Channel ??

that picture in Britain at War, the comms kit looked like PYE Westminster or Cambridge, anyone know exactly which it was? I never thought the military used it.

Tony, i haven't seen the picture, (Or the magazine infact!) but the Police in the UK used alot of that kit during that era, is it fitted in an MP vehicle? probably more suited for that role, possibly working with other police agencies, rather than using Larkspur/FFW kit, i think that the channel spacing would give them difficulties when working inter-agency.

that picture in Britain at War, the comms kit looked like PYE Westminster or Cambridge, anyone know exactly which it was? I never thought the military used it.

I've seen no evidence of Cambridge, but the were EMERS TELECOMMUNICATIONS produced for:

F 850 - F 859 AM Bantam

F 860 - F 869 FM Bantam

F 340 - F 349 Remote Westminster

F 350 - F 359 AM Westminster

F 360 - F 369 FM Westminster

F 370 - F 379 FM10P

F 390 - F 399 FM10B

G 400 - G 409 F100FM

Couldn't see any reference to this prog in listings, here................. :dunno:

Maybe it was only BBC2 Scotland then.

Here is a link to an overview of the programme by the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7111303.stm

For those interested in which vehicles featured: Series 2 Landrovers, Saracens, Saladins, Bedford RL's and Ferrets.

I recorded it to DVD, so i will go through it and see if i can spot Registrations etc.

I think this is the picture that everyone remembers:

MadMitch.jpg

That speaker is intriguing, certainly not Cambridge & Westminster had barely come out at the time.

http://www.pyetelecomhistory.org/

Judging by the speaker box with the knobs it was intended to be mounted that way up as you can see a rain shield above the grill.

The reentrant PA speaker on the upper left. I used to have one of those . Definitely military, it was very long. But there was something very strange about it, high impedance, 200 ohms & I think needed some line supply of 100v. But I found it impossible to use for a straight PA on my vehicle set up.

Edited by Marmite!!

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an interesting link detailing a particularly nasty action in Crater, Aden 20th June 1967.

Vehicles mentioned are 3 tonner (RL?) Landrover, Humber Pig, Ferret, Saracen and Saladin.

http://www.britains-smallwars.com/Aden/mutiny.html

I was watching a program on news 24 this morning devoted to the Aden crisis.And this actual Saladin was shown in film clip from the time.I made a note of the reg.It was shown in what was described as a crackdown on the insurgency in crater.There was also a story on Mad Mitch shown as well.