Ex service personnel who actually drove your MV

Alan

Was wondering how many MV owners have whilst exhibiting their MV been approached my a MOP who drove their actual vehicle whilst in service?  

I suspect it’s quite rare unless you display with with the correct no. plates or own armour.

At the last war and peace, whilst in the queue to get in, A guy came bounding over the field to have a chat with me about my lightweight landrover, his openin line being “what’s that on the side of vehicle?” Now my landrover has rather distinct (what some would call German or iron crosses) croix de guerre crosses on the door. Getting this a lot I explain these marking where found by a previous owner under the paint and represent a vehicle of the 5th field artillery( Gibraltar gunners) who were awarded the guerre de guerre during WW1 and its now part of their insignia and worn on some of their vehicles. (Someone posted on the EMLRA forum they’d found similar on a 109 lr) He then asked if I was in 5th field, which I’m not and on looking at the military No. then went on to tell me a little of the history of the vehicle during it service. 

Apparently it was in the MT section and the only lightweight they had, it got christened the moon buggy and was used to hack about in.

He also went on to say it never looked as good as it does now, which must be saying something as to my mind it’s currently in ‘in service’ condition so god know what it was like back then. Unfortunately the queue started to move and he bounded back off before I could get a chance to ask if he had any pictures of it whilst in service. He did take some pictures to show his mates that it still existed so I take it he was still serving.

anyone else had similar experiences?

I've not met anyone who actually drove any of my vehicles but at a show once with our Humber Pig, an Irish chap came up and said "I remember these well" my dad asked "what where you in" he replied " no, I just got a good kick in in the back of these a time or two" not that that ever happened in reality! haha

53 minutes ago, Ashcollection said:

I've not met anyone who actually drove any of my vehicles but at a show once with our Humber Pig, an Irish chap came up and said "I remember these well" my dad asked "what where you in" he replied " no, I just got a good kick in in the back of these a time or two" not that that ever happened in reality! haha

I've had similar. At the end of the exchange he swung his hand round & I thought he was going to hit me but instead patted the Pig & smiled saying "It's lovely to see her again. Thank you for bringing her."

Many times I've had knowledgeable vets who declare "Know all about these mate, used to drive them. The good old Sarrycan" :(

I have had more than one person recognise the Military registration on my Leyland Daf and informed me that they drove it in Germany/Bosnia Bakabeyond or wherever and then commented on how handy the box body on it was for slkeeping in. And what a great truck it was. I don't have the heart to tell them that AT 47 AA spent its service life as a UBRE (Unit Bulk Refuelling Equipment) with 103 Bn REME. And as far as I know never left this country. The box body may have seen UN service as every time some paint gets chipped there is white paint underneath. According to the MERLIN report the box body was used for repairing FACE (Field Artillery Computer Equipment) for 3 RAH between 01/12/1982 and 22/07/1994 when it was used for repairing BATES (Battlefield Artillery Target Engagement System) for 19 RA from 22/07/1994 until 11/12/2007.

So the body had a more interesting life than the truck it is now fitted to.

This is an interesting thread and might give rise to another 'How to contact Ex-Comrade Associations- complete with contact details for as many old boy networks as we can find.

My Lwt (49 HG 92) was used by 7th (Para) RHA for 6 years up to 1990 and I'd love to meet any previous drivers and find out what it was used for in a 105mm gun Battery. It is a 12v GS that was 'locally' fitted with a Clansman which makes me suspect it was used not by a FOO or any RA Officer as these types had a proper long wheel based 24v FFR. As for 105mm Ammo resupply, Fitters, Cooks, Medics or the Blowpipe Air Defence guys, they also used something bigger, which leaves me to think of other types who needed to keep in touch occasionally but who did not need a FFR; padre possibly but often they just rode in the back of anything going to where they we going. This leaves Battery S/Major who might do some roving around to see each Troop or gun position to offer moral support or even an urn of tea if they were nice!

Edited by LarryH57

Hi, Alan!  As your "PO" in question, it was great to read of your experience!  It would be good to get some in-service photos; perhaps there is an ex-RA facebook site, or similar that you could post on?  When I got the Landie it was looking very tired, but mainly cosmetics  and usual suspension wear points and it took me a few months to strip off the layers of old paint, then re-paint in exactly the camo pattern it had.  It was when stripping that I found the insignia and again, I repainted that as per the original.  I had always hoped someone would recognise it and you struck lucky!  I keep my eye out for you and the truck at shows.  All the best.  Ferg

Found a soldiers name and service number scratched into the instrument panel of my 1940 Canadian C8 Chev.   JS Hunter VX65738...... did some searching and found the chap was still alive ,  this was around 1993, and living up near Ballarat. He was a tank gunner in the 2/4 armoured regiment and was wounded in action on Bougainville while in a Matilda tank.  Anyway I wrote him a letter, he replied saying he doesn't recall the truck or his act of vandalism !  

• Like 1