IMPS Bethune (Pas de Calais) run

Well we had a great weekend. We took the Halftrack on the trailer behind the WLF. Both vehicles behaved impeccably with the HT doing over 150 miles and the WLF around 400. The whole rig grossed 25 tonnes on the Dover weighbridge and still achieved 8mpg and 40mph. Not bad for a 63 year-old truck!

The weather wasn't too bad so we managed to have our now traditional water fights.

There were a few HMVF crew there and it was good to meet John Wheatley and Bertha in 'person'.

Some photos to follow:

Very Impressive the vehicles the mileage and Great Weather it all makes for a most enjoyable time I m sure .

Make's all that repair work on the Halftrack worth while then....bet you had a few doubts when you were in the middle of it !!

Just to clarify - this wasn't the Halftrack that had the broken crank and the snapped track, this is our one which now has a White engine in an International chassis (yes, they do fit without much modding) and the rear end rebuilt by myself including an rebuilt and upgraded braking system using a Bedford brake servo, new tracks and rebuilt bogies from Belgium, and other practical mods such as electric fuel pump etc. We were a bit nervous as the furthest it's ever gone without breaking down prior to this run was about 5 miles, usually down to vapour locking - hence the electric fuel pump. I was right behind it in the convoy in case there was a problem, but in the end apart from a series of exhausted drivers (myself included), nothing went wrong :-D

Looks great fun Mike and great pictures.

I most declare publicly that I am being drawn to the WLF's, my biggest problem would be driving one around the lanes of Dorset :dunno:

Do I hear jealousy?

Some "his is bigger than mine" issues? :-D

I most declare publicly that I am being drawn to the WLF's, my biggest problem would be driving one around the lanes of Dorset :dunno:

That would mostly be other peoples problem, in the end they will move aside! :whistle:

I must say that I have still not fully recovered from Bethune yet- could be something to do with the Mrs getting up at silly o'clock each morning for work. I drove 2 of the longest convoy legs in the half track- its one of the most hideous, tiring, hot and noisy things I've ever driven, but great fun.

Given that the hydraulic pump on the trailer gave up before we set off for France, when we loaded at the Souchez show site it all went exactly to plan. Just what we needed with a large audience.....some may say we even looked like we knew what we were doing...... :whistle:. Didn't need to winch the half track on though as the owner had enlarged the slot in the floor to alloow the low range lever to work properly, so we drove on.