hello from Nebraska

abn deuce

Hello To everyone , while I m a bit distant across the pond I m only a click away by the internet :computerterror: I ve been involved with HMV's since the 1980's during that time I discovered the Worlds of Military Vehicle Collectors and HMV Clubs , over a period of ten years or so I met a Very Good Friend who lived not far from me and I helped him restore several White halftracks while doing this apprenticeship I Collected Wheel's and Track's,with what I learned I located the vehicle I thought was the icon of ww2,a 1944 CCKW 353h-1 along with a wooden bodied Ben Hur in Ziest Holland which I shipped back to the USA in 1990 . Now after far too long both are under going a complete restoration

Hi Peter

Welcome to this forum, you must be one of our furthest members, nice truck and shame you have not got some of them half racks available to show..........................................or have you :?

I have a few pics of the Halftracks in various stages of , just have to get around to putting them on the pc . Thank You all for the welcome :-) I had a chance to Visit over there a couple of times like the D-day anniversary in 1989 at Portsmouth and the trip across the channel with all the great HMV collectors. I ll post what I can of the restoration of my HMV .

A standard licence is all thats needed , as long as the vehicle is under 18,000 lbs , 9 tons U.S. , Of course the vehicle is also registered as an antique and insured as such . Which gives you a reduced premium but there are limits as a result , you cant use the vehicle a daily driver , you cant haul cargo or use for business but you can drive it as needed to check it mechanically say after any drive line repairs , you can drive to and from events , if you belong to a group, or to parades or displays and some states limit operation to daytime or weekends. I have only recently relocated and will have to check if any other laws apply in this state.

Thank You Lawson ,You have a fine looking tipper too! Kinda envious of your closed cab in wet weather. The current configuration is as I received it from the Netherlands and not the proper U.S. army tail lights , it's also missing the front and rear ww2 U.S. blackout light's in their place are NATO lights installed by the Dutch during one of its overhauls , all of which I m correcting with its rebuild . For the sake of safety I think I ll keep the turn signals . I have all the proper ww2 lights just need to mount them . From the vintage photo's of the backs of tippers that I have seen , the tippers had very small brackets only to mount the lights and no more .

Thx for your replay ABN if you know where i can see pics of the orignal tail lights....ie..web link to a pic it would be appreciated so i can hunt some down...i would like to have the orignal tail lights mounted to...as you said i shall also have to keep turn signal lights on mine too..Thx

Thats correct the right ones are the same standard ones used on all U.S. military vehicles if you can locate a copy "Military Vehicles magazine" issue 121 its the June issue the article on "Tippers! troop trucks that dump" on page 36 or " Wheels and Tracks" issue 22 page 33 . in " The GMC a universal truck" on page 58 is the configuration as the Dutch made them and last in the book "standard catalog of U.S. military vehicles 1940-1965" by thomas berndt page 80 :computerterror:

thx very much for your help there ABN..yes i know the ones you mean now and will get my hands on a pair of them as i think they look better than the ones that are on there now...And yes going back to what you was saying about the hard cab in bad weather myself and jack went to the purbeck rally this weekend and it was raining hard on the saturday.. i was very happy indeed to of had my hard cab as i was nice and cosy inside..that is untill i got out of it and stood in the field in the rain!!...lol...However softcabs are just great in the nice weather and cooler tho...Oh well you cant have it all..lol...

• 2 months later...

I thank you for the nice welcome and the Great group of O.D. addicts even if we differ on Pre-WW2 or WW2 or even Post War Vintage Vehicles every one has a Great interest in Learning and exploring so many Facets of these Historical Vehicles , even if they own Many or none.

That speaks of the Leadership and Organization of the Group , Its both flexable a bit free wheeling at times and still Controlled with out being heavy handed . A very difficult balance to maintain .

How are your vehicles coming along ? getting ready to put them away now?

If thats what you want ? remember you sometimes get more than you asked for ! like the rains over there this year , I m think you may be in for a very cold and snow time of it , I ll keep positive thought that no one will get hurt if the blizzards do hit .... Judging by what has been shown on HMVF TV on the secondary road net work ,you dont have much room for that white stuff in the first place , it would likely shut down a big part of the Country !!!! :dunno: