Jimmy Spares

Mark

Hi All

Can anyone on here tell me what spares I should carry for a Jimmy, not that I think it is going to breakdown but just to be sure.

Thanking you in advance. :-D

the (sort of ) obvious ones like spare fan belt, plugs, etc, I also carry spare coil, condenser, rotor and points......................(but I'm also safe in the knowledge that if worst does happen, I'm OK for AA relay........... :whistle:)

In my experience it's always the stuff you don't have which you need :banghead:

I got a whole load of useful stuff for mine, and must admit most of it is still on the shelf!

Must agree with LeeEnfield on ignition stuff, on the other hand if you go to 12v electronic kit....(wot? no 6v yellow sparks?).

Seriously, the one good thing about jimmies is that folk like Rex Ward can help with good stocks of parts and really prompt delivery. I do not do a great mileage with mine, so tend to replace bits during annual servicing.

Current supply problems are Hydrovacs (several different types, but not all can be repaired), exhaust manifolds which can be a pain but I believe RW was having new ones made in Germany?

Eventually spares will become difficult, but compared to some vehicles jimmies are not much bother to their owners :whistle:

It would be interesting to hear experiences of some who do high mileage in their trucks.

Just a thought on fuel lift pumps -

Had no end of trouble with a 6 valve pump, always kept a repair kit in stock, put loads of kits into it but fuel still leaked back (most N.O.S. kits had white oxidation on valves).

Changed to 2 valve pump - no more problems. If you do change pump, make sure you get one with a priming lever - then you won't need to keep a starter motor on the shelf either!

Mark this is what I carry and to be honest I have never need anything as I have never had any problems (no wheel gags please) as it is maintained by a top mechanic.

Fan belt

Gallon of engine oil

Brake fluid

Gallon of water

Tool box (yes I have one)

Welcome brother :-D

Cheers for the above lads, is Rex Ward the only person in the UK that supplies spares for the jimmy :dunno: not that I have a problem with that.

Think he's the main man, Mark, seems like a thoroughly nice Guy;..was talking with him at troops and trucks,...............(was with jimmy owning mates, :whistle:)

Others, inc jeeparts, and dallas.

Andy

Mark this is what I carry and to be honest I have never need anything as I have never had any problems (no wheel gags please) as it is maintained by a top mechanic.

Fan belt

Gallon of engine oil

Brake fluid

Gallon of water

Tool box (yes I have one)

Welcome brother :-D

Off course the obvious thing as the Jack (no not our Imperios Leader) and wheelnut remover.

Spare wheelnuts.

Towrope

Hazard reflecting trangle and reflective vest (camo is no good at the road side).

Fire extuinguisher.

Flashlight (headlamp)

Gloves, coat, poncho and such in case of bad weather

Light bulbs

Electrical wire.

Assorted bolts and nuts

Ducktape

Aaaand, quick fasteners (tie-rips (sp) ), use them for evetrything

I carry no Spares in the 3 GMC's I've got apart from a few Beers under the drivers seat ,I've paid for Roadsure to sort the problems for me or recover me.

If I was planning a trip over to Normandy however then I'd take a full workshop of tools with me,including spares like brake cylinders,brake springs ,Plugs, points, (although I have electronic ignition I could change back to the old system if needs be) Coil, spare coil of 1mm wire, bulbs, Oil, Brake fluid, Water an assortment of nuts bolts and washers, fan belt,water proof repair tape, Rad seal x2 Cable ties (these have got me out of the shite loads of times) and the most important Item a few tins of beer incase it's a major problem that I can't fix, I can then sit and ponder by the road side whilst waiting for a tow vehicle.

Regards

steve