May be a Dorset event - like Bolero......?!

Jack

We are thinking about this for next year.

So impressed with the Bolero weekend that there has been talk at Beckett Towers with the HF's about holding something along the same sort of lines......for next year.

Lets face it, Dorset has more than its fair share of military history - from WW1 up to the present day.......airfields, Bovy, Royal Signals, Navy Bases, training areas, billets, Redball Express depots, bomb sites, crash sites, memorials, graves....the list is endless.

Anyone interested? Would be open to all military vehicles from all eras.

Jack.

Count me in Jack! I missed Bolero so I wont miss this!

Theres no way the Chevy will be finished by next year, so it would be the trusty Landy.

G506

We would be interested, as we normally try and get down to Dorset at least once a year. Maybe you could presuade the army to take us round the training ground at Bov in their Challengers. Failing that a cup of tea and an ice-cream at Monkey World!

We would be interested, as we normally try and get down to Dorset at least once a year. Maybe you could presuade the army to take us round the training ground at Bov in their Challengers. Failing that a cup of tea and an ice-cream at Monkey World!

sounds like a good idea but would they let you all out of Monkey world

:evil: :evil: :roll:

Ok folks - just a brief thought on this this morning whilst cutting the grass :dunno:

+

It would be something like this;

Open to all military vehicles.

Would need outriders from all eras.

Sat & Sun touring Dorset in convoy to areas of interest -

Tarrant Rushton airfield ( major Howard and men left here for Pegasus bridge)

a decoy/ghost airfield,

tour around Bovy tank museum,

lay wreaths at certain memorials,

invite a world class military historian for saturday evening lecture (not what you know but who you know ;-) )

visit D-Day embarkation ports,

visit the divisional HQ for the Big Red 1,

day time catering would be taken care of,

'public viewing' stops on route,

not sure if we could get into the Royal Signals Museum at Blandford Camp but will look into that,

off the wall this one but have a drive through the port where the plague entered Britain,

have some BBQ's,

visit an OAP home,

visit some pubs,

aircraft crash sites,

build in some great photo opportunities

We have some many historic sites here in Dorset from all ears so be can build the tour around everyones needs. I have yet to get clearance from Mrs HMVF as when I and the Hardy Ferrets were discussing this my good lady did advise me that I have far to much on my plate as it is she has a fine point but I am working on it. I have the drive to put this together and I haven't run this passed the HF's yet.......but will.

Dorset needs something like this to happen and will need to put a 'team' together but everyones thoughts are welcome.

Kind regards.

Jack.

:roll: I have just become aware of a draft...................................

Could it have been something running past me :dunno:

I think it may have been something that was just an idea a few days ago :idea: that has now grown and is in training to become a full blown event. ;-)

Jerry, love. ......... Jack's getting us into something again............

. yea Ok then.........I will if you will.................. think we beter have a natter with him at upottery....

:roll: I have just become aware of a draft...................................

Could it have been something running past me :dunno:

I think it may have been something that was just an idea a few days ago :idea: that has now grown and is in training to become a full blown event. ;-)

Sorry Sue - I have to write things down as they come into my head :oops: - when I am away from the office my brain allows ideas to flow :-D

Jack,

Interested in this event, will need a reasonable notification on proposed dates, etc;...................long trip in an MW. :-)

Also, would (hopfully) want to extend stay down there, for a few days............(hence needing to book leave. :whistle:)

Sounds Good...............

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Remember one vital thing Jack............ if theres something,place of intrest etc you can`t fit in this visit theres always a return visit he folowing year.

I believe your biggest problem will what to leave out event.

JMHO

Ashley

Can we do monkey world first please can we please. I have a score to settle with that little chimp that pi**ed in my camera bag the last time we were down there :rofl:

Ash are you insinuating i have legs like a monkey. I will remember that next time you are down on the SPTA.

• 3 weeks later...

Can we do monkey world first please can we please. I have a score to settle with that little chimp that pi**ed in my camera bag the last time we were down there :rofl:

Ash are you insinuating i have legs like a monkey. I will remember that next time you are down on the SPTA.

Monkey on your back? Monkey bussiness? Sp*nk the monkey?

It went ape-sh*t? :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...