HMVF wreath at Passendale

Tony B

Following discussions with Jack, as Steve Mc Guire and I will be attending the 90th Anniversary of Passendale in a fortnight. the idea is proposed that a wreath be laid on behalf of the forum.

The important thing is the wording. We are a multi national forum. Sod polotics what's under the bonnet? So ALL who died are worthy of Remembrance.

The proposal is that all members of the forum should put £1 in the local British Legion box as their individual contribution to the wreath. Ladies, Gentlemen and the rest of us. Over to you. :angel:

Tony - on behalf of HMVF we would all like to say thank you very much for this idea. It is a noble one, we would be honoured to to be part of this, in fact we would all be very proud.

Thank you.

I'll go along with that, but do you mean Paschendale or am I being a bit ignorant? Whatever, we always have a poppy box at our place and I try to educate the youngsters. (Icant believe they are thinking of dropping Hitler and WW2 off the national curriculum! My better half had no idea if half the things that went on until she encountered me. And shes a couple of years older!) One of my prime motivations for getting the Morris on the road was to get it at the local wreath laying on remembrance day so that people dont forget and the youger generation never make the same mistakes. Good on you. :tup:

One of my prime motivations for getting the Morris on the road was to get it at the local wreath laying on remembrance day so that people dont forget and the youger generation never make the same mistakes.

Same here,............speaking very nicely to British legion, at the mo. :-)

I'll go along with that, but do you mean Paschendale or am I being a bit ignorant? Whatever, we always have a poppy box at our place and I try to educate the youngsters. (Icant believe they are thinking of dropping Hitler and WW2 off the national curriculum! My better half had no idea if half the things that went on until she encountered me. And shes a couple of years older!) One of my prime motivations for getting the Morris on the road was to get it at the local wreath laying on remembrance day so that people dont forget and the youger generation never make the same mistakes. Good on you. :tup:

Sorry Rick there seem to be so many spellings, Ypres is now Ieper, the Flemish Belgians can get very touchy about that. Fortunately being English , most of them speak good english and they will allow me to get away with French. Only ever met one rude person over there and they were an import.

Maybe thats something Jack could look at putting in the HMVF shop section? A donation section?Then pass on the monies to the purchaser of the wreath. It could be a bit complex, especially with any UK tax issues. Maybe the earlier notion of getting a bit more active in poppy collection would be simpler. Take your vehicle into work and park it outside maybe, or along to your local ceremony and stick a collection box on the bonnet.

Woah, idea's snowballimg. Quite right. when you think about it we have a large range of vehicles, which are in demand for all sorts of events. Many times we do it for nothing.. or.. even..PAY :shake: to show them. Surley we could lean on commercial organisers that a donation to service charities is seen to occur. I'm sure many members feel like me that should a local forces charity ask for vehicles it is a duty to try and attend.

aye, thats a good idea, quite possibly a win-win for all concerned.

If the commercial interest can see there is some positive outcome, ie, favourable free publicity, etc......these days thats worth a lot.

Also in these multi cultural days, if funds are seen to being faised for helping ALL those who served, and in rememberance to ALL who gave up their lives, it could not be twisted by any organisation/faith etc, into such firms were supporting conflict.

The various service charities/bodys would also benefit, not only monitarily, but also be increased publicity.

Yeah, I come from Jersey, still some bad memories over there. But time passes. Soldiers are still becoming casualties. The next few years will see anumber of vents, next year will be the 90th anniversary of the end of the Great War. 2009 the 65th anniversary of D-Day, 2010 65 since end of WW2.

Never mind, there is a plan being mooted to do a concert at Tilbury Fort. first discussion is how many bits of music apart from the 1812 can we get cannons into. But the intial idea is to have re-enactors and kit around to show the Fort through the Ages. All thats neded is to give English Heritage a good kicking.