Odd CVR(T)

Poptopshed

Went over to Withams on Saturday to browse the Tender Sale. Got a bit bored after playing in the BARV so went for a wander around the rest of the yard.

Then spotted this odd CVR(T)

Any one know any more about it? I presume its a prototype for the rubber tracks. :dunno: The rest looked standard and the back was full of Jerry cans and random bits of kit.

width=640 height=480http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d34/Poptopshed/DSC00078.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=480http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d34/Poptopshed/DSC00079.jpg[/img]

Jon.

Jon,

My guess is the jerry cans were ballast. The sprockets and idlers are made from nylon, and the wheels are all spaced apart to allow the track, which has larger rubber horns, to run between them. I believe this came from Qinetic who were trialing the track, and that it wasn't very sucessful. On a CVRT the track tends to bash against the lip of the hull, and I was told with this track it was causing too much damage.

Chris

Jon,

If you look above the track level of the CVRT the bottom of the armour will have a shiny patch worn away by the track pads as they rub whilst flapping about. I think instead of rubbing the armour this track was wearing itself away.

Chris

The track normally fitted to CVR(T), is known a "live", track and with the hex trackpins and bushes, , each link is angled up a few degrees, so it has a wrapping action. This tends to make the track follow the idlers and sprockets, where the old type steel track ( as on Carriers, Cents, etc ) would fling out by centrifugal force when moving at speed. The CVR(T), does have a problem with track fouling the sponson (?) and hull sides, but I think a mod was done to fit wear plates to the sides. This rubber track would fling out more than ever and the friction on the hull would not be acceptable. No problem with the conventional tracks, just that the design of the vehicle does not allow better clearance, all due to the need to keep a low profile.

Advice I had was that this track was pretty much lethal, mainly due to a tendency to let go with no warning, sometimes after only a very few miles..

Presumably no reason why couldn;t be converted to run on conventioanl tracks though..

Spare jerry cans are always handy.

Timbo

Jon,

My guess is the jerry cans were ballast. The sprockets and idlers are made from nylon, and the wheels are all spaced apart to allow the track, which has larger rubber horns, to run between them. I believe this came from Qinetic who were trialing the track, and that it wasn't very sucessful. On a CVRT the track tends to bash against the lip of the hull, and I was told with this track it was causing too much damage.

Chris

CVR(T) secondary recognition feature:

Apart from Scorpion / Scimitar which have five equally spaced roadwheels, there is a three-inch gaps between roadwheels 2-3 and 3-4 accommodate the six-inch longer hulls.

Not really much use in the field: if you are close enough to see 3" roadwheel gaps you are more than close enough to see the silhouette is neither Scorpion nor Scimitar.