15 cwt Morris, MOT or not ? Help

thedawnpatrol

I have been told by my post office that I can not tax my Morris Commercial C8, because I do not have an MOT certificate, I was under the impression that one was not needed, due to its age and weight class.

How can I prove this, I have been told even by my local DVLA office that their records do not show which vehicles are classed as MOT exempt.

Has any one else had this problem recently ?

Any hints on proving weight etc.

Julian

There was a note in MVT's Windscreen mag recently pointing out that many Dodge / Bedford / Morris 15cwt trucks are being operated illegally on MOT exemtion certificate, Adrian is correct the vehicle has to exceed 3500kgs laden to be exempt.

You need to find a test station that does class 7 mot's. Just MOT'd my Dodge again this week

I have a Ford 15cwt, and this has to have an MoT before I can tax it. I still get free tax though. If you need a friendly MoT station in the Reading area, try the MoT centre, 127a Loverock Road, Reading, Berks.

The magic words, or lack of them are on the tax renewal form. If it DON'T say MOT it don't need one. The Post Office can get their knickers twisted because the computer says ' No MOT history' show the form and point out it dosen't need one. The MOT laws are a nightmare anyway. Bear in mind the MOT is At the time of examination- 2 minutes later you can still be done for an unroadworthy vehicle. Just keep the vehicle serviced up to scratch. For instance an ambulance- if it fits the DVLA requirments needs on ly a Class 4 MOT, car, regardless of weight. Any 101 ambulance not rated as such should have a Plate as it is rated over 3 tonns.

Not very clear is it!

I think it should be 3.5 tons unladen, which if we are to believe various specifications for the C8 state that it is 4.027 kg (8.950 lb) also all the pfhotos I have seen of these type of vehicle are wearing 4/5 ton bridge plates!

I am off to a public weighbridge on Saturday, to see what she weighs unladen.

There is also a complication with the fact it has to be 'unladen' to qualify as 'historic' and tax free!

There really should be better guide lines on this question.

The other card to play is 'Commercial vehicle registered before 1960 and not used commercially' Or stick a tow rope in and call it a 'Recovery Vehicle'. the MOT will consist off ' Are any bits falling off' 'Does it smoke like a ****?' and 'Do the lights work?' thats about all that can be checked. The list of what they don't need is longer. If the winscreen hinges open, not down, to 90' you don't need wipers. If wipers or indicators are fitted they must work.

Golden rule has to be 'Keep it roadworthy at all times'

I have just taxed my Morris 15cwt and on the renewal form it says Validation Character L. and on the receipt it says Scheme Licence-Old MOT/Exempt Svc 2. According to my book of words she goes 2ton 12cwt 1qtr 14 lbs and carries a 5ton bridging plate and I have never had any probs. with re-taxing. Not much help to you I know but it works for me. :whistle:

John.

Hence I know the question about MOT'ing! There was a short article in CMV saynig the Morris was applicable for an MOT. I never thought it was, but it had to go usual road safety rules,ie brakes work ok etc. The MOT rules for such an old vehicle are very basic safety checks. If you need an MOT get in touch! (But I am on holiday for a week!) ;-)