A bad day in Boston

Something intriguing in seeing vehicles that have been in an accident. Always a bit of an eye opener to see how vehicles look after they have been in a collision. I am sure that in some of these photos people lost their lives or were badly injured. The first two photos show an Autocar UF21 which was in a crash while taking people on an excursion. Ruined their day and that of their family. The caption says that several people were "severely killed". It doesn't get much worse than that.

08_06_000236_zpsahhseket.jpg

08_06_000280_zpsasnejpf0.jpg

08_06_000231_zpsjqppamkx.jpg

08_06_000235_zpshaslfrqy.jpg

08_06_000184_zpslovsc8c8.jpg

08_06_000192_zpsfbxpbz5m.jpg

08_06_000193_zpsucwxsi0d.jpg

08_06_000078_zps4v3cztc0.jpg

08_06_000179_zpsphknlvjj.jpg

08_06_000111_zpsuzuvur5j.jpg

What a great set of photos. I must admit that having been very kindly given a ride on both your Autocars it is hard to see how you could go fast enough to get severely killed in/on one. However the one in your first two photos describes itself as an 'Express' one ! I suspect that it ran away on the hill and ran up the right bank, tipping it on it's side and decanting the passengers onto the road. Someone has stood up the stools that were presumably being carried for a picnic.

Does anyone know what the truck is in photo7 ? It is very heavily built, full forward control with the engine well back and quite a long shaft from the front of the engine to the front of the chassis for the fan drive and starting handle.

David

Does anyone know what the truck is in photo7 ? It is very heavily built, full forward control

It might not have been Forward-Control earlier in the day...

Very odd to modern eyes to see crowds posing with a cash aftermath.

The steam roller has strakes in place on the rear roll that is visible, giving additional grip for driving out.

The site is on a hill when comparing the angle on the house foundations, steps and the slope of the footpath. I would assume the roller has traveled backwards out of gear to end up against the house. The hole in which the front roll is court up in could be a of water main.

Some rollers had a winch built into the rear axle, however I'm uncertain how common this was with American products

The steam shovel looks to be a Marion. The driver certainly was game to drive the machine on the timber ramps. One length of timber appears to be broken and the cause of the fall.

Doug

This is a totally true story.......I know 'cos I was there!:trustme: Some years ago I was tipping soil on a farm which apart from the fairly new farmhouse was a total shambles, rickety buildings and the yard covered in slurry up to 18 inches deep. After tipping my exit was blocked by another truck delivering.........yes, you guessed it..........molasses. The tall cylindrical tank was stood on what I can only describe as four sticks and the remains of a door standing about 5 feet high and the driver was busy pumping in 750 gallons of the black sticky stuff. When pumping ended the driver climbed a rickety ladder that was resting against the tank in order to retrieve his hose, as he reached the top and grabbed the hose the stand collapsed, the tank toppled over a fence towards the house and burst when it landed. A wave of molasses washed up against the pristine white walls of the house and then gradually spread all round the house, the garden and the driveway.In the meantime the driver had tried to jump clear but only succeeded in measuring his length in the slurry face down from which he emerged looking like the creature from the brown lagoon. I have to admit to being helpless with laughter, tears streaming down my face for several minutes before I could get out of my truck to go to his aid. Fortunately for him it was a hot summer day and I hosed him down struggling to keep a straight face whilst sympathising with him, which was a bit false because I thought it was his own bl...y silly fault for unloading into a structure that was swaying about at the slightest touch. That was not quite the end of it, the farmer returned and the pair of them went for each other, both swearing blue murder until I gave them both a tap with a shovel to settle things down. Needless to say the whole matter was subsequently settled by the insurance companies and eventually the farmer and his wife were able to laugh about it. Just remembered, when the farmers wife returned from her teaching job she just looked at the mess, made no comment but got a pair of wellies from her car and carried her two young children through the mess into the house.

Edited by Degsy

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: I know a French diplomat at the trexing centre on a farm who measured his length. The memory of his wife in a charming French accent saying ''E as fallen in the , how you say it? 'E sh88t? Still make me laugh.

Try this one as well

What do 'ee mean farmers are tight? They save every bit of baler twine for repairs!