Bedford OXC

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

So after doing over 500 miles in the Bedford with the diesel engine i am very happy with it :-) yes its a bit noisy in the cab compared to the petrol engine but everything else is a vast improvement. the truck will now happily sit at 38-40 mph on the motorway up hill and down unlike before. Pulling up steep hills is also so much better, certainly left the Bedford QL and the convoy behind in Guernsey:rotfl: and the cab temperature is much lower, my leg is not cooking on the firewall!

Fuel economy has improved massively not figured out the current MPG but after a week of driving around Guernsey i had used only 3/4 of a tank :-)

And no issues with fuel vapor or hot starting, overheating during the slow convoys etc.

apart from the few disgruntled Bedford purists :-) i think i can say its been a success.

Next up a step frame trailer to go behind it, just a bought a remains of a trailer to build it with.

11258480_10153918147744896_1131089381421569024_n.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I used the SD33 from a patrol 160, i have used these engines in a few conversions over the years as they are superbly reliable and cheap to pick up (good one is less than £500).

The LD28 has a bigger inlet manifold so that might cause you some problems, as its a tight fit. the Patrol LD28t engine is also turbocharged so would probably need some custom manifolds to fit in the engine bay.

Cheers

Barry

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen some that have had Perkins P6/R6 engines fitted, also in Sri Lanka i found one with a Leyland engine. usually long ago when they were work horses. other than that i have not seen any others converted to more modern diesel yet :cool2:.

i have a toyota 2H waiting to go into something, to get it in the bedford i would need to make custom manifolds, maybe another truck?

The SD33 works very well in the Bedford, i am very happy with the set up.