Bedford OXC

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I am sure you are aware, parts for the original engine and even replacement engines are freely available.

Seem a pity to put a postwar engine in your truck unless money is a problem.

In the case of the MW, the customer requested that he was going to tow a car trailer with it, mostly in France and needed an increase in power and road speed. The bhp increase made it much more easier to drive in that situation, holding on longer before down changing. Better than fitting a diesel anyhow. The sight and sound of the new engine is practically identical and it has the benefit of better oil filtration.

As I am sure you are aware, parts for the original engine and even replacement engines are freely available.

Seem a pity to put a postwar engine in your truck unless money is a problem.

yep, quite agree. As i mentioned earlier this is my first tinker with a Bedford so i dont know suppliers, parts availibilty that well, learning fast though.

can you recomend any good dealers?

• 6 months later...

Where does the time go?

Finally managed to get some work done on the Bedford! heres the latest

1, Got me a replacment cab from Pete Gaine, its in very good condition and has saved me about two life times of work!

2, Got all the scammel coupling off the chassis, its no suprise the brits were short of supplies with the amount of bolts holding it all together!!!!

3, the cab is ready for the off, all five hundred levers! removed from the chassis to get the cab off.

4, fuel and vacuum tanks off, trailer brake servo removed.

Next the cab will be off and the engine can be stripped.

Some piccies to date.

Rear end.JPG

New Cab.JPG

DSC02984.JPG

Managed to get another day pass today!

1, Cab well and truly off at long last, glad i got the replacement cab as the original one is a tad on the rotten side.

2, Brake master cylinder and servo off (all the pipes came undone!)

3, Manifold, water pump, thremostat housing off. I want to kiss the person who built this engine! everything had a generous smothering of copper slip making life a whole lot easier, love youXXXX

4, Cylinder head off, WOW! the bores are like brand new :-) see why the engine would not turn as one valve was seized wide open. the only problem is with No.6 as the liner has some rust in it. i been told that liners are readily availabe so new liners all round anyway.

5, all vacuum and air pipes off, again eveything came undone.

6, pedals out, wiring loom removed.

7, Whipped the top of the gearbox..............looks to me like it has never turned a cog! even the oil is brand new SWEET!

Quite pleased with the progress over the last two weeks, mainly thanks to the fact everything is coming undone, its really good to see the quality and attention detail that was taken when the vehicle was last rebuilt (by the military probably in 1952).

Next on the list is to get the engine out and chassis back to bare bones for blasting :-)

Bazza

DSC03041.JPG

DSC03029.jpg

Hi Bazza, just a word of caution re the cab lying on its back, a friend of mine did the floor repairs and welding on a bedford cab in that position and when we put it back upright the door opening had become narrower and the doors didn't fit back in. Maybe best to tack a temp prop in if using any heat.

• 1 month later...

Engine and gearbox out, frame nearly stripped bare now! moving house has got in the way!!

stripped the motor, No. 6 was siezed solid but the rest of the engine in very good condition. With the ais of a lump of wood and hammer the seized pistion soon came out and after a quick hone the bores are like new again, phew!

Norman Aishe has been very helpful with the parts, once back from me olidays will crack on with getting the frame blasted and start rebuiling the motor :-)

Baz

DSC00374.jpg

DSC00375.jpg

DSC00380.jpg

• 1 month later...

No stopping me now!

Chassis all blsated and come up very nicely, just two spts that need a bit of welding other its in very good condition.

Found a chsssis number OX 22442. will do the welding this week and slap a coat of paint over her.

The engine is coming back together, got all the parts from Norman Aishe, very helpful. hopefully will have it back in the chassis before too long.

Been thinking about colours and markings, possibly a change of mind from gloss green to dessert sand with a north africa unit in mind maybe RAF? not sure just yet!

DSC00547.JPG

DSC00550.JPG

DSC00552.JPG

DSC00553.JPG

DSC00559.JPG

hello baz.

Sorry to be a stick in the mud, but i think thats a bedford OB cab you have there.

If you look at the photo, above the hole in the side of the cab for the pop out vent, there's a swage (Groove) that isn't on an OX or OY. Also Does the panel above the Passenger side step bolt on? I think the battery on a OB went there rather than under the seat. Maybe the dash is slightly different too, but i'm not 100% sure, it would be worth you checking once against the other first.

Bedford20OB.jpg

You see the swage is painted white, lining up with the door and the bonnet.

. bedfordox.jpg

The OY/OX bonnet is smooth, i'm guessing thats why it isn't there, but it would be worth checking the bulkhead where the bonnet sits, maybe there's some differnece in the bonnets to.

Taking the swage out wouldn't be to difficult, with a bit of welding it'd soon disapear.

Sorry if i'm telling you something you alreedy know, just thought it would be worth pointing out.

Edited by rippo

hello baz.

but i think thats a bedford OB cab you have there.

That would be very doubtful............an OB was only supplied as scuttle and bonnet, it was the bus or coach chassis.

I would think that if this was a tanker cab, then it is from an OL, the Army had a lot of these tankers in storage, they were built around 1950 with very low mileage on the clock when disposed of and were still like new. :)

Ob/Ol!!!!:idea:???? Ok ok you have me there not to up my civy types, still it has a pointy front rather than a square one, thats the "point" I'm making:yay:

Its not an oy cab.

I'm not trying to count rivets, But i could cause the whole world of pain once painted and fitted. and once the old cab has gone you'll never get the panels to put it right.

Think this came from a tanker that was milweb about 6 months ago. If its as late as 1950 the battery will definatly be above the step. whilst the cab is off and with the old one as a donor it should be quite easy to convert it to an ox/oy one.

Edited by rippo

The cab came off an ex military tanker, lifted off myself. And yes the the panel on the passenger side is bolt on, so i guess it was a OL tanker not an OY?

Strange how the doors have the swage in them?

I am not an expert on Bedford types, but i am learining quick!.

The dash is the later type but i will graft the original dash into the new cab as for the bolt on panel that will be fixed into place just like to original.

Whilst in here a quick update.

The chassis has been repaired and is now in a fine red primer awaiting the first coat of sand yellow.

Rear springs and hangers are ready to go back on.

Engine is nearly done, the bottom end is complete and buttoned up awaiting to be reunited with its head.

Front axle is in the process of strip down.

Cheers

Baz

Edited by Bodger Baz

hello baz

The learning curve with bedfords is a long one!! Mainy as its difficult to find a definative record of the production. A good bedford book is hard to come by.

What i've found wih the wartime models alot of the parts are modified civilian parts. The ox/oy more so, but for example the early mw's used an "o" type bulkhead, or the QL used the pre-war 27hp cab.

The ob was in production before the war, so basically an ox/oy front was fitted on to an ob cab to allow for the military sand air filter. The swage in the door is a throw back to this, i guess there was no reason to change it.

It would suggest that there is more differences on the panel between the bonnet and the door than just the missing swage. The bonnet may sit differently. Oh and the hooks for the bonnet springs won't be on the bulkhead either, and i think the air filter is different to, sits on the carb rather than on the drivers side bulkhead.

Hope i'm helping. and not just pissing you off:argh:

Edited by rippo

Cheers for the info, it all helps. So far everything is looking OK. but who knows whats around the corner, lucky i have the orginal cab and am pretty handy with metal so should be able to make it all work in the end, I also have a couple of other cabs lying around that are both pre war and war time that i can pilfer parts from.

Cheers

Baz

Got my info from RLC museum record at Deepcut yesterday, all they had was a Key card that has the info of loads of Bedford OXC's, the vast majoirty of which by the looks of it were sent to the BAOR in the 50's and disposed of over there in the 60's. Mine is one of only two on this record that stayed in the UK at Aldershot the other being at Bicester.

Mine 83 YY 65, serial no 22442 was sent to Ruddington auction on the 20 9 1966, coming ditrectly from RAOC Aldershot C.O.S.D. i think (correct me if im wrong) but the card also shows the orignal WD number as 5297466.

The chap i got the bedford from had bought it at Ruddington and never used it.

bedford med.jpg

Got my info from RLC museum record at Deepcut yesterday, all they had was a Key card that has the info of loads of Bedford OXC's, the vast majoirty of which by the looks of it were sent to the BAOR in the 50's and disposed of over there in the 60's. Mine is one of only two on this record that stayed in the UK at Aldershot the other being at Bicester.

Mine 83 YY 65, serial no 22442 was sent to Ruddington auction on the 20 9 1966, coming ditrectly from RAOC Aldershot C.O.S.D. i think (correct me if im wrong) but the card also shows the orignal WD number as 5297466.

The chap i got the bedford from had bought it at Ruddington and never used it.

Interesting the type/mark box is not filled in,.ie fuel tanker, there don't appear to be ditto (" ") marks, either,...........just 12/70 ?? dunno what that stands for.

Nice to see orig WD no, though, Baz, this I'm thinking would be prefixed by the letter H, ......(for tractor)

All the best,

Andy