Bedford OXC

well the Bedford made it to War and Peace and back in one piece :-), biggest problem we had was the god ol AC oil filter decided to leak all over the place on the way back!

It performed better than expected i have to say, was happy at about 38mph and pulled very well up the hills, only being held up by me in the GTB in front! we were glad that we decided not to fit the doors as it was painfully hot in the cab without doors. so i will get the door finished and fitted soon and also finish the interior.

_42B9574.jpg

_42B9576.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374698505.334397.jpg

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Purist turn away now :-)

Been fiddling with the Bedford and it now has a Diesel engine from a Nissan patrol 😳ac3936c4c055a32dd5e048b63944a913.jpge2b6c814e5619d360605250aa4b7aadb.jpg

Also re routed the exhaust as it was too hot under the cab!

e506560e8f2d3cbf9c460d1aabe32e12.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah it looks quite good, i have managed to use a lot of original parts like the fan and the mounts, even the air filter fittings. Hopefully will have it running next week once the flywheel adaptor has been machined. I have not altered any of the original parts or fittings so if need be the original engine can go back in with no problems.

42fc05b9602f9f95e67966e21390df12.jpg7ffa909ca360523802b9d92167bf0a94.jpg

I like it!! nice enough little engine for her, I contemplated putting a little perkins in mine, good luck.

Yeah I thought about a Perkins but 2 issues sprang to mind

1, finding a good truck version of a p6 Is not that easy as they have all be exported

2, the Perkins is very noisy and sluggish compared to a modernish jap engine.

Also considered Bedford 220 but really wanted a smooth 6 pot.

I put the same engine plus Nissan gearbox in a Land Rover tipper we built years ago and it was brilliant, it's still going strong and has outlasted 3 chassis now 😄

I wanted to fit a Toyota 2h but it's physically too wide to fit between the foot wells.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have had it running, everything is working well so far, cooling system seems to be good and the vacuum pump on the alternator is working a treat for the trailer vac reservoir. Couple of small issues to figure out so its back out again at the moment, should get it back in for the new year and then I can take it for test run. https://vimeo.com/114414999

Also made a start on the trailer bows and drop sides

0e016409af635d4ebce340027d242aaf.jpg413e6bdd47822211979ffb15e5660f95.jpgdd4aecc351b923cc9794c367a1070a74.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Finally took it for a test drive today :-) very happy with the outcome, more power and Tourqe throughout the rev range. The engine is very smooth and not too noisy in the cab.

All the charging and vacuum system is working really well, the little vac pump on the alternator pulls more vacuum than the petrol e gone did and coped with the servo operation just fine. Cooling system works a treat, left it running for a few hours in the yard and the temperature never went above 85c , very happy.

More testing over the weekend. 😄

Finally took it for a test drive today :-) very happy with the outcome, more power and Tourqe throughout the rev range. The engine is very smooth and not too noisy in the cab.

All the charging and vacuum system is working really well, the little vac pump on the alternator pulls more vacuum than the petrol e gone did and coped with the servo operation just fine. Cooling system works a treat, left it running for a few hours in the yard and the temperature never went above 85c , very happy.

More testing over the weekend. 😄

Very neat work on the engine swap, like the fact you have repainted it all

• 2 weeks later...

We took the Bedford over the Belgium for winter rally and got a few miles on the new set up, the extra power and Tourqe are very noticeable when driving up the steep hills in the Ardennes. Had a couple of issues with mucky fuel for some strange reason but it only stopped us a couple of times, other than it went very well.

Job done :-) next up it will be turning olive drab and getting its original markings ready for Guernsey in May.

eb383a3c8cf9b8023bba7668a9320624.jpg

Job done :-) next up it will be turning olive drab and getting its original markings ready for Guernsey in May.

I shall make sure I come and speak to you, be great to see the conversion in the flesh.

It'll be a mememory from childhood for those of my age. :-D The Islands got a number of ex military Bedfords and Austins just post war. A lot were still working up to the mid 1960's. That were back in pre container days and produce was shipped, spuds in round wooden drums and Tomatoes in trays. A lot of old Donkeys going 'We 'ad one of them!'

Colour that comes to mind then was an almost universal Primer Grey. Don't waste money on paint!

• 1 month later...