Spire (OGEL)

I'm not sure if this is the correct location, but did anyone else receive one of these emails from Spire? I'd heard that it isn't relevant in France so I guess I must fill out a 'NIL' response?? Ron

Dear exporter

As part of the terms and conditions of your open licence you are required to report usage on a yearly basis. This e-mail is to remind you that these returns are due at the end of the calendar year and you will be allowed one month after this to complete your return.

The following open licences must have returns submitted against them by the end of the calendar year:

• GBOGE2009/00938

If you have not used your licence(s) this year, you are still required to submit a return against the licence(s), a 'Nil' response in this instance, should be entered. Please login to SPIRE and click on "Open Licence - Returns" in the left hand menu. Guidance can be found on our website.

Failure to comply to any of the terms and conditions of this licence could lead to action including suspension or revocation of the licence(s).

If you no longer require this or any other licence/s, you may surrender these on SPIRE by using the 'Search Licence Applications' function to find the licence/s you wish to surrender, click on the licence no longer required and on the next screen click the 'Surrender Licence' button.

I'm not sure if this is the correct location, but did anyone else receive one of these emails from Spire? I'd heard that it isn't relevant in France so I guess I must fill out a 'NIL' response?? Ron

Dear exporter

As part of the terms and conditions of your open licence you are required to report usage on a yearly basis. This e-mail is to remind you that these returns are due at the end of the calendar year and you will be allowed one month after this to complete your return.

The following open licences must have returns submitted against them by the end of the calendar year:

• GBOGE2009/00938

If you have not used your licence(s) this year, you are still required to submit a return against the licence(s), a 'Nil' response in this instance, should be entered. Please login to SPIRE and click on "Open Licence - Returns" in the left hand menu. Guidance can be found on our website.

Failure to comply to any of the terms and conditions of this licence could lead to action including suspension or revocation of the licence(s).

If you no longer require this or any other licence/s, you may surrender these on SPIRE by using the 'Search Licence Applications' function to find the licence/s you wish to surrender, click on the licence no longer required and on the next screen click the 'Surrender Licence' button.

Ron

I cannot recall my ID to 'log in' with so cannot pass go! I've asked them to send me my details from four years back, I'll be surprised if they do. Back at time of application IMPS provided a very helpful 'how to apply' guideline. The whole application process is full to the brim with gobblygook and so it seems with this next requirement, necessary to fill in a 'nil' return! Jerry

Likewise Jerry I have no idea of my user name or password and have told them so. I gave up on this nonsense when it was declared that my only destination of France with an MV was exempt. I'll be happy if they revoke my license. Ron

Well I sent them an "I've forgotten my password" email using my email address as my user name, and they've sent me back a temporary password. I can click onto their site via the email they sent me. But I'll see if they reply to my email "ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THIS?"

before I bother too much. Ron

I received the email this morning. Again I've not heard a thing from them since I applied for it it 2009 then suddenly a notification I'm supposed to have been communicating with them annually! It doesn't say much for their organisation if this is the first time we're being chased...

Hopefully if they receive enough requests for replacement passwords they'll realise it's futile...

- MG

Edited by TooTallMike

They know full well when our vehicles go out from UK and return, the rego numbers would be checked, so why ask, and why leave it so long? Email addresses come and go and people lose passwords and create a new one, so they are unlikely to get a good return on this initiative they have created.

Sounds like a way of creating work for their department!

Hi all,

I've been informed that the reason some of us have received this email is that we have OGEL's for 'Historic Military Goods', rather than for 'Historic Military Vehicles'.

'Historic Military Goods' requires an annual return whereas 'Historic Military Vehicles' does not. I(We) obviously chose the wrong category in the rush to get this sorted prior to Normandy 2009. Why it has taken them 5+ years to notice we haven't been submitting returns is anyone's guess!

Assuming you are only trying to cover your vehicle for temporary export the advice is to contact Spire to cancel to Goods OGEL and obtain a Vehicles one.

- MG

I have passed this thread onto James Baxter who dealt with it all on behalf of IMPS when it first raised it's ugly head and he is going to look into it - I will report any findings.

James has been in touch with his contacts and here is the result.......

I have been in correspondencewith the Export Control Office (ECO) regarding their email to some military vehicleowners, and they have issued the below guidance note for MV owners who havereceived the email:

“The Export Control Organisation introduced a requirementfor annual Open General Export Licence returns in 2014. This requirement mainlyconcerns the trading activity of companies and was introduced to providegreater levels of transparency data about usage of open licences. Someindividuals might be impacted by the reporting requirement and might havereceived an email from the ECO depending on which exact licence they hold. Afull list and guidance about how to complete a return is available at https://www.spire.bis.gov.uk/docs/OpenLicenceReturnsGuidance.pdf.If you hold the OGEL (Historic Military Vehicles and Artillery Pieces) thenthere is NO requirement to provide an annual return. However if you hold theOGEL (Historic Military Goods) or the OGEL (Military Surplus Vehicles) or anyother relevant licence then you will be required to complete a return (even a‘nil return’). The requirement applies, even if you have surrendered a relevantlicence within the reporting year. This runs from January to December and westrongly advise any required returns are completed in January 2016.

If you have any questions about open licensing returnsthen please contact the ECO Helpline for further advice: eco.help@bis.gsi.gov.ukor telephone: 020 7215 4594.

We also strongly advise that members sign up to theNotice to Exporters, http://blogs.bis.gov.uk/exportcontrol/, toensure they are made aware in future of any changes to their licence(s).”

In a nutshell, those MV ownerswho have the OGEL (Historic Military Vehicles and Artillery) then there is norequirement to submit a return, and they will not receive the email. If,however, they have registered for a different OGEL, such as OGEL (HistoricMilitary Goods) or the OGEL (Military Surplus Vehicles) then they will havereceived the email request for a return. I have checked with the ECO onthe OGEL number quoted by Ron on HMVF and it is for OGEL (Historic MilitaryGoods), hence he received the email. I have also checked with the ECO ontwo others people who have received the email and they also have the OGEL (Historic Military Goods). I suggest thatanyone who has received the eco/spire email they check the type of OGEL theyhold and if it is not OGEL (Historic Military Vehicles and Artillery Pieces)then, if they and their vehicles comply with the terms of this OGEL, they canceltheir existing OGEL and take out the OGEL (Historic Military Vehicles andArtillery Pieces).

Thanks for clarifying this. As some of us will remember, it was a complicated process to apply for the licence in the first place, and I think I did inadvertently apply for the 'Military Goods' licence before eventually applying for the correct 'Vehicle' licence. I think I need to surrender the goods licence. Ron

• 3 years later...