What is PSP trackway?

terryb

Question

16 answers to this question

A quick Google brings up this

http://www.calumetindustries.com/?page_id=176

I have used it in service in the Royal Engineers when using up old stocks to create hard standing areas for storage.

Last time I used it was in 1981 when we made up a carpark at Lee On Solent for the Air Sea Rescue chopper crews.

Can be awkward to fit together if damaged.

Thanks guys,

speaking to the vendor, it does appear to be the lengths of punched steel planks, with rows of holes, and hooks/eyes down either side. Quite a bit of weight so might be worth something in scrap.

Don't think there is much money in scrap currently, not looking good for some yards apparently.

Hi, if you should buy it I'd be interested in a couple of lengths, if the price is right, to go on the front of the Ferret. I know PSP isn't the correct thing but there are plenty of photos of Ferrets with PSP clamped on the front of them. I'm also in Kent so easy to collect.

Gordon

There are 2 styles of Pierced Steel Planking floating about -

1) wartime pattern which has (approx) 2 1/2" dia. punched holes, and

2) later pattern which has the 2 1/2 " hole detented but not punched right through, and with 3 x small holes in the detent.

I'm looking for a fair quantity of first type if you can get it at a good price and it is straight and clean :-)

When l hear the words PSP TRACKWAY l think of it been in a roll trackway came in three classes

I think you are thinking of Class 30 and Class 60 trackway - these come on a roll but I have not seen PSP on a roll as it links together loosely on the edge. C30 and 60 slide into continual grooves and lock together but are flexible enough vertically to roll up.

I have attached a shot of rolled Class 60

TEREX 72-71 RAF Leeming.JPG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marston_Mat

Terry, some years ago I was offered a large quantity of PSP. I had a fair idea people used it in ones and twos e.g. as sand channel, so I made enquiries. It turned out that it was in demand at the time and sold for considerably more (10 - 20 times?) its value in scrap. That might well still be the case.

As scrap it'd probably go as light iron, so just a few tens of pounds a tonne these days.

It makes a lot of difference whether it's straight, as obviously after years of use it tends to get bowed, rusty and the edges get bent so it won't interlock.

All the ones I've ever seen, irrespective of manufacturing date, have always had the holes punched right through.

BRYAN is that not PAP TRACKWAY ?

That is Class 60 matting made up into an Airfield Repair Patch mat.

At least between 1977 - 96 as I knew it.

The full size mat is approx twice the length and would have more coils in the roll.

The FAUN Trackway link does give a very good description of the process but there are some detail changes from what I knew.

I was involved in both Regular Army and TA Royal Engineer ADR Teams from Sapper to Plant Sergeant.

Edited by ploughman