Land rover fuel tank with heater built in.

Rubberduck

Not sure if this is military or not but I've got a land rover series fuel tank with a heater built in the side from new. I was told that it was so the land rover was always ready to go in the event of an emergency and there ain't to many around now. Is this true and which role would it of been used in?

Thanks for the info.

Not sure if this is military or not but I've got a land rover series fuel tank with a heater built in the side from new. I was told that it was so the land rover was always ready to go in the event of an emergency and there ain't to many around now. Is this true and which role would it of been used in?

Thanks for the info.

Bloodhound missile sites probably earliest, certain weapons storage sites, IIRC the last S3 Diesel 88" MOD contract (Tri-service "KD" )was only nominal RAF - they were manned by USA in UK , hence the 7.50 tyres as standard.

The RN also had some diesel.

Show a photograph of the tank - it may be possible to date it..

Can't quite see the edges , up to abt. 1979 they were "tern" (tin coated steel - same as Rolls Royce) & seam folded , however the top seam was a wide solder run and often cracked. Later tanks were gas welded at edge seams.

btw , certain these heaters are not in the Optional parts catalogue.

The words ambulance and crash truck do not go hand in hand with a 2 1/4 litre Land Rover diesel ...... not the vehicle for a fast getaway. I reckon it is for cold climate. Also note it has no filler cap, so is a side filler, some military Land Rovers were side fillers, but mostly CL as I recall. Are we sure this tank is "military"?