What body colour?

pogo001

Hi.

I live in France, and have just bought a Hotchkiss M201....yes, not american, but guess this is the correct section, being Willys jeep related.

I will have many questions in the future, but Ill start with what I hope is a fairly simple one.

I am not keen on repainting the whole jeep, tatty as it is, as I prefer the ' been to hell and back' look, but I do want to touch in some scrapes and bare patches of metal.

Ive been on a french site looking for olive drab, but noticed they also sell Kaki french army paint, and wondered what the correct colour for my jeep is, as now Im not so sure.

Can anyone help?

Paul

The acepted way in the antique world of protecting metal is to use a good quality wax polish. Though would be a bit of a job on a Jeep.:D If you want to keep the in service look, and I agree a MV shouldn't look showroom fresh, then you could use a matt varnish.

A few years back I had to clean genuine Somme mud of my WC51, nearly cried.

To get back to your original question, for a variety of reasons it is unlikely that you will be able to exactly match the colour

straight from the tin. My advice would be to buy the French khaki and then paint a small area that cannot normally be seen, allow to thoroughly dry and then lighten or darken your paint as necessary, repeat the process until the desired shade is reached remembering that it will take some time before you will get the 'faded' look of the original paint. Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the ideas and replies.

Its not the condition of the existing paint thats the problem, its more about scrapes and bare patches that I want to address. I think I will go for the french kaki. Its only about £12 a tin ( 1kg? Maybe 1 litre? )

I like the rough look. I have a new set of tyres on brand new rims, but will be putting the new tyres on the old rims, and selling the new ones, otherwise it will look like a tramp with new shoes on.

Paul

Do remember the old adage ' A bugger if it don't go, a Disaster if it don't stop'. Wheels, brakes and steering, three things not to scrimp on. Military reasons for paining 1 Protect metal 2 Concelment 3 Looks. Anyway a battered looking MV driven by a detrmined looking driver, scares the blue meannies out of the hoy poly. :D

The French colour is referred to as Khaki 'Otan'. Jeep Est are said to have a very close match to correct OD, so they should be good for Otan. Jeep Sud Est are excellent too.

You will find it difficult to match your colour though, as it has a lovely faded patina. I would actually suggest you try a sample of Jeep Est's US Olive Drab mix, as I suspect it might be a much closer match.