Putin's T14

ruxy

frankly I'm a bit surprised this hasn't been discussed here, either that or my search just didn't find the right thread. I mean I know it's not a historic MV, but it's pretty amazing none the less. I think it certainly could be a history making MV. One thing that's confusing about the linked article is this

T

he tank is also the first to have an internal armoured capsule to give added protection for its three-man crew.

my understanding is it's a 2 man crew, that the turret is fully automated with no crew inside.

the commander on the right side where the "radio operator / bow gunner" used to sit in WW2, and

the driver back to his traditional spot on the left side after sitting dead center in the T72 series.

if it is truly a 2 man crew with fully automated turret then it's another significant step forward in MBT design. The russians have been setting a trend here it seems. First smooth bore gun in the T62. first 3 man crew with auto-loader in the T72, and now this . Commander must have his hands full though is he's commanding the tank , controlling the main gun, and operating the defensive systems too. This would be impossible though, so they must have integrated artificial intelligence controls to at least the defensive suite?

Still seems like a monumental task, identifying targets for both attack and defense, prioritizing them, engaging the biggest threats, and avoiding fratricide /friendly fire at the same time.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the claim of a 2-man crew actually came about because of an error or mis-translation, but typically I can't find anything now to back that up, so it might well be total bollards on my part! :)

Nice to see from the video that we can all still sleep soundly in our beds for a little while longer before the hordes descend... ;)

looks like a piece of crap to me. jazzed up T80 with a bit of bolt on armour.
That's a very cold-war attitude :-)

The T64-T80 were really Ukranian products, seems unlikely they would have copied that old design. Reportedly the chassis a is a new universal platform that will be the basis for an entire series of vehicles. I don't see that it matters anyway, as with any new modern platform, it's just a shell with Torsion bars and wheels . The difference is in what you put on top IMO.

You have to admit that a full automated turret devoid of human occupants is a pretty radical step forward no?

I'm sure I read somewhere that the claim of a 2-man crew actually came about because of an error or mis-translation, but typically I can't find anything now to back that up, so it might well be total bollards on my part! :)
It might not be decided yet, or finalized, on the T14. On the T15 There is a dedicated gunner /3rd crew member and he sits behind the commander but he's still in front of turret and inside the armoured "crew capsule". looks like he has he has his own cupola with vision blocks . On the t-14 however there sure doesn't seem to be a place for the 3rd guy?

t15_vision_blocks_cameras.jpg

Nice to see from the video that we can all still sleep soundly in our beds for a little while longer before the hordes descend... ;)
yeah I'm sure this will be a great boost for the "defense budget" here in the US , we just can't seem to function as a society without a good dose of paranoia and a bogey man breathing down our necks.

That's a very cold-war attitude :-)

The T64-T80 were really Ukranian products, seems unlikely they would have copied that old design. Reportedly the chassis a is a new universal platform that will be the basis for an entire series of vehicles. I don't see that it matters anyway, as with any new modern platform, it's just a shell with Torsion bars and wheels . The difference is in what you put on top IMO.

You have to admit that a full automated turret devoid of human occupants is a pretty radical step forward no?

It might not be decided yet, or finalized, on the T14. On the T15 There is a dedicated gunner /3rd crew member and he sits behind the commander but he's still in front of turret and inside the armoured "crew capsule". looks like he has he has his own cupola with vision blocks . On the t-14 however there sure doesn't seem to be a place for the 3rd guy?

t15_vision_blocks_cameras.jpg

yeah I'm sure this will be a great boost for the "defense budget" here in the US , we just can't seem to function as a society without a good dose of paranoia and a bogey man breathing down our necks.

haha brilliant

What intrigues me , is the survival capsule , some sort of rocket ejector mechanism (possibly fired a fraction before impact, super air-bag style) or surrounded by nicked Chobham armour. Doubtfull that this capsule is a hoax LoL

well it makes perfect sense to share a chassis along an entire line of vehicles, huge cost savings in tooling and production lines. The fact that they were able to do it across such a large line of vehicles, both wheeled and tracked is surprising though, no doubt.

What intrigues me , is the survival capsule , some sort of rocket ejector mechanism (possibly fired a fraction before impact, super air-bag style) or surrounded by nicked Chobham armour. Doubtfull that this capsule is a hoax LoL
wow, I sure haven't read that anywhere. Are you sure the survival capsule is supposed to double as an ejection pod? That seems highly unlikely, the amount of energy required to blow out 2 or 3 men in a heavily armored capsule would be tremendous, and, it would have to high enough for a parachute to bring it all back down safely. Seems not possible to me?

I think by crew survival capsule what they're trying to address is the tendency of the stored main-gun ammunition lightning off and killing the crew. This was reportedly a big problem on the T72 in the middle east, although any tank is prone to it. By having the auto-loaded ammo in an unoccupied turret and putting the crew in a separate armored compartment the safety/survival rate for them increases tremendously.

http://www.novayagazeta.ru/society/67490.html

if i understood correct his survival story

when the projectile hits the T-72 turret and it boils so the driver can often survive if he is lucky and nimble

but nevertheless usually he gets serious burns

so T-14 protection capsules effectively prevent the driver and the commander of instant " cooking "

pekka

• 5 weeks later...