Public Liability insurance for shows

The General

Hi, I am planning on taking the vehicles out to a few more shows this year, but have noticed the increasing requirement for Public Liability Insurance as well as obviously having the vehicle insured.

This also seems to be a recommendation/requirement at certain militaria/aero jumble events just to have a table to sell your odds and sods.

Does any body have a company that they use who covers this type of insurance?

Thanks in advance, Tim.

Hi, I am planning on taking the vehicles out to a few more shows this year, but have noticed the increasing requirement for Public Liability Insurance as well as obviously having the vehicle insured.

This also seems to be a recommendation/requirement at certain militaria/aero jumble events just to have a table to sell your odds and sods.

Does any body have a company that they use who covers this type of insurance?

Thanks in advance, Tim.

Hi

You in the MVT?

They have a local club scheme that covers public liabilities and kit and equipment. Also cheap vehicle insurance genes.

Worth it just for that.

Think I pay £5 a year for my public liability.

Thanks Hoseman, this will be a great help.

Cheers, Tim

Hi

You in the MVT?

They have a local club scheme that covers public liabilities and kit and equipment. Also cheap vehicle insurance genes.

Worth it just for that.

Think I pay £5 a year for my public liability.

We had this sort of problem 40 years ago on the vintage tractor show circuit, at that time we gave it up.

Then last week this appears... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/insurance/motorinsurance/11493891/Youll-need-100-car-insurance-for-lawnmowers-says-EU.html

The important bit being "The court in Brussels decided that any moving vehicle, on public and private land, should have motor insurance, regardless of whether they are driven on the road or not."

The enquiries I have made with military vehicle insurers have revealed that most don't cover public liability at shows.

The MVT has no scheme to offer individual public liability insurance.

Hi

Sorry,my mistake, thought it covered all

Paul

I am so glad to see you folks on the European side of the Atlantic are having the same whining and crying about public liability insurance. We get it here daily.

I told one organiser that Military vehicles carry picks and shovels so there won't be any issues, we would simple bury the evidence of a liability event ever having occurred. She looked at me as if to suggest I was joking and a friend of mine suggested that I was not and she did not come back for the rest of the event.

Honestly, it is a sad sign of the times when people will not take responsibility for their own stupid actions or lack of care and control and want to come after me because Daimler in 1954 put blunt corners on a vehicle and they walked in to it at a show and now they have an ouch.

I am nearing rant levels here so I will cease and desist. Here endeth the lesson.

R

to a degree yes, it is frustrating that the world is always looking for a scapegoat...the chap in the tiger moth who crashed and killed the passenger is being done for manslaughter because he should have known he could not make the loop at the altitude he was....of course he was foolish I suppose, naive maybe but manslaughter, the next thing to murder...come on world wake up is this really what we want...

liability insurance is included if you ask for it at shows for some companies...I am sure Cherished Vehicles do something or was it Footman James. I dont use Footman James any more they have become too onerous and expensive...but am sure one of the companies I have used over the years covered the shows...

best to keep people away from your vehicles with a barrier I guess...

Liabilities which do not arise from the ownership or operation of a motor vehicle should be covered by the personal liability aspect of a standard home contents public liability extension.

The motor insurance should pick up any risks attached to the vehicle itself. There would not normally be an exclusion relating to shows any more than there would be in a supermarket car park. If someone walks into a vehicle, the owner is unlikely to be held liable but if he were to be, the third party insurance should deal with it.

The only way to be certain is to examine the policy wording but bearing in mind that the vehicle insurer will have to deal with any excluded claim as interested insurer, there is little point in them excluding third party liabilities at a 'show'.

There could be problems on MOD land, or 'airside'...and obviously there could be difficulties for vehicles which are not used or insured on the road. Strictly speaking, even these should be insured for third-party risks, which may be problematical.

An individual with a jumble stand would be covered by the 'household' insurance but if it could be deemed a business then it will not be covered and a commercial liability policy is needed.

Quite frankly, I think that anyone who steps outside the door without public and personal liability cover needs their heads testing...but anyone who has home contents insurance should be able to include it at little or no charge.