Armour spped limit increase

timbo

Now all I have to do is persuade my Sno-Cat and T-36 that they want to exceed 20 mph ( other than on the back of a transporter ) ;)

This part might dampen your spirits:cry:

1.7: The proposed increase would apply to military AVT only. Non MoD track laying vehicles will continue to be restricted to the existing 20mph maximum speed limit

Just as well

The only time the Sno-Cat is needed is when nothing else ( short of a helicopter ) is moving anyway, and that includes our chums in the nice traffic police ;)

Typical Sno-Cat conditions;

Used extensively by the US Air Force for search and rescue, as well as a lot of secret squirrel stuff on the DEW Line and the like. Constant four track drive, huge pontoon articulation, zero side slip pontoons, and wagon steer make it pretty much unstoppable.

Edited by Gordon_M

Why bother nobody takes any notice of this limit anyway... even the Army, often see 432 driver training vehicles running from Bordon at far greater than 20 mph, go up the A1 to Caterick and exactly the same there CVRTs doing well in excess of 20 mph.

Read the document, makes sense. Replied to consultation.

Whether the arse-covering politically correct idiots in the corridors of power decide to use common sense on this, or not, is a completely different matter. :rolleyes:

Used extensively by the US Air Force for search and rescue, as well as a lot of secret squirrel stuff on the DEW Line and the like.

Not to mention the British Antarctic Survey and Vivian Fuchs' Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition, though some things stopped them:

Sno-cat-at-the-edge-of-chasm.jpg

One of Fuchs' Sno-Cats is currently on display in the Science Museum.

That one, Rock 'n Roll, has been recommissioned over this winter by Scott and the team working for the Tucker Museum. The hemi V8 had stuck solid after decades in inactivity and needed a full rebuild.

R&R does TLL 2.jpg

The expedition was staffed by commonwealth ex-military types, and a lot of military parts, like script Ford GPW tow hooks, found their way onto the machines.

A - Able, Canterbury Museum in New Zealand, with one of Hillary's Ferguson semi tracks

B - Rock 'n Roll, Tucker Museum, Medford, Oregon.

C - Haywire, Science Museum London ( normally stored at Wroughton )

The fourth 'cat, County of Kent, which never got a door code, was unfortunately lost in a fatal accident after the expedition.

I'm not in favour of increasing the speed limit, especially for civilian owed tracked vehicles.

I'm probably in the minority here but I think an increase in speed of civilian tracked vehicles will eventually result in a fender-bender of some degree and the practice of civilians owning ex-military tracked vehicles could come under scrutiny, with the eventual ban of using them on the road.

I can see the logic in the proposal in regard to engine wear and fuel costs but unfortunately we see on a regular basis civilian -owned tracked vehicles on the road with tracks about to fall off and other obvious defects.

I'm not saying every tracked vehicle owner is a little, shall we say hap-hazard with their maintenance but they are out there.

Obviously the same applies for wheeled vehicles too but if there is a prang with a tracked vehicle, it always makes the news in a big way.

I say the easier it is to stay under the radar of the authorities the better off we will be.

Markheliops

I'm not in favour of increasing the speed limit, especially for civilian owed tracked vehicles.

I'm probably in the minority here but I think an increase in speed of civilian tracked vehicles will eventually result in a fender-bender of some degree and the practice of civilians owning ex-military tracked vehicles could come under scrutiny, with the eventual ban of using them on the road.

I can see the logic in the proposal in regard to engine wear and fuel costs but unfortunately we see on a regular basis civilian -owned tracked vehicles on the road with tracks about to fall off and other obvious defects.

I'm not saying every tracked vehicle owner is a little, shall we say hap-hazard with their maintenance but they are out there.

Obviously the same applies for wheeled vehicles too but if there is a prang with a tracked vehicle, it always makes the news in a big way.

I say the easier it is to stay under the radar of the authorities the better off we will be.

Markheliops

Agreed, the shop I used to work at had two Leopard A1's in, one for scrapping, one for rebuild. after flipping over at speed after tossing track. 50 tons plus will filp like a jeep when the correct physics is applied. and speed does this very well.

Having tossed a track at speed (Canadian M113 MTVL w / Rise 3 Upgrade), I can tell you its quite the experince. I was driving on a closed test course ashphalt road when the left side blew a track pin and unspooled of the rear idler, was running about 55 mph. Now, it takes alot of nerve NOT to touch anything when that happens, such as brakes or steering until you slow to a stop. in traffic, well, at that speed, bad things would have ensued.

regardless of speed, know what to do if you blow a track off. This is vital.

off road, sure, do what you like, its your neck, in traffic on public roads? well...as been said...you will be on the 6 pm news....

quick question. do you know, right now, if the track tension of your vehicle, along with pin and pad (if fitted) of your track is good?, idlers and final drive?

I totally agree with posts 12 & 13. It is great fun driving a large tracked armoured vehicle off road or on a closed road, but driving fast in traffic is I think inviting a major problem. This may well not be of your making but everyone driving a large historic vehicle will tell stories of other vehicles doing stupid things in front of them. If you are in a tank / APC etc. you will get onto the news when you clip one of these idiots, but if you squash a car full of kids it will take over your life for at minimum five years even if you were doing nothing wrong. There have been plenty of accidents with steam rollers and they don't go much above 5mph. The army at Bovington were squashing about one civilian car a year (with people in them) untill they built a closed road course to drive on where there were no cars.

Sorry to be boring

David

I can come up with a million and one reasons why we should ban all moving vehicles. Still silly having a speed limit of 20 mph...30 or 40 mph would be fine. Maintenance is a matter of course and as the DVLA show, very few motoring accidents are caused by vehicle defects.

I would not like to drive the 432 at more than 25mph myself, but thats me.

I took my H licence a few years ago in a Scorpion partly on the public highway...niether the instructor nor the examiner mentioned a speed limit for tracked vehicles !

Bizarre, as it was one of the standard exam questions when I took my H test. 20mph on pads, 5mph on bare steel.

Andy