Hello from Victoria, Aus

Greetings all!

my name is Chris Collins, a long time lurker on HMVF and now I've actually got something to post about I thought it a good time to make my introduction.

I"m a long time Mil history enthusiast, reenactor, modeller and unashamed anglophile (except in matters of Sport of cause). I recently had the experience of a lifetime in tagging along witrh a couple of mates, with the Princes Irene Brigade partaking in Operation Market Garden 70th Anniversary commemorations late last year, An experience I'll always treasure.

In the spirit of "having a go" and having always wanted to get a Military vehicle, I've set my sights on a Tilly. After a few Leads I now posess a slightly abused looking Morris Tilly found in the middle of Australia by Gent by the name of Hugh Davis. I'm being mentored by a mate called John Neville who is quite experienced with Military vehicle restorations, im particular renewing coachwork and panel beating. (thankfully!) We've cleaned her out and started dissasembily, and what we're finding is quite promising looking, the gearbox actually looks quite good internally, and the only serious rust is a few patchable spots in the floor pan

as you can see she has a few deficientcies, but shes suprisingly free of serious rust.

Naturally I've joined the Tilly Register and the local Morris register, and now I'm putting out feelers for relevant parts and information, even good photos of parts like the folding seats would be more than invaluble.

Anyway, thats me and my project, I look forward to chatting with you all, and I hope to be at Corowa for a few days this year.

IMG_0864.JPG

Thanks for your kind words gents,

Mash, yeah we thought we'd warm up with something straightforward :D

fesm_ndt: actually it was this article that encouraged me to seek one out, and and the starting point makes mine look positively like NOS! Its also encouraging that theres a few Morris 10s floating around to source parts from down here, a shame that they're largely Post war ones, we really need bonnet sides and and a grille surround. Its a shame some pesky MG owner has likely lifted the motor for his toy.

I gather that the floorboards should be removable to allow access to the fuel tank?

Chris Collins

I'm constantly amazed at how Hugh manages to find all of this stuff and how extensive his network of contacts are, especially as he doesn't use the internet at all.

It looks like you've got the start of a good project there, Chris.

Cheers,

Terry

Hugh davis Has been extremely helpful from my first dealings with him, its nice to meet a Military vehicle enthusiast who is very open about sharing knowledge and leads on various finds. :thumbsup:

Gday scrivo, its been too long since we've chatted, hope to see you at the Airshow or winchelsea!

started the 'reconstructive archaeology" process last night, we think we've got some idea on how the woodwork goes together now and timber sizes.

Cheers

chris

• 1 year later...
Currently rebuilding the two steering boxes and need new worm bearings. Anyone have any idea of a source of new bearings. Had no luck on the internet so far.

Jack Neville

Jack,

I assume you are talking about the Morris Tilly, do you have a parts book to identify any part numbers, either Morris or MT ones?

Thanks Richard,

Yes for the Tilly's. I have salvaged enough parts to complete one steering box except for the cam bearings. The second box needs a rocker shaft but i'm hoping the best shaft I have can be machined down a fraction to accommodate oversized bushes. The cam bearings are listed in the Tilly parts book as

Ball Cup (for cam) (Cam Gears 8527) Part # 37491

Ball Cage (with balls) (Cam Gears 7712) Part # 37490

I am surprised how hard some of the Morris parts are to find given how many of these cars must have been made. Any help appreciated.

Jack

Thanks Richard,

Yes for the Tilly's. I have salvaged enough parts to complete one steering box except for the cam bearings. The second box needs a rocker shaft but i'm hoping the best shaft I have can be machined down a fraction to accommodate oversized bushes. The cam bearings are listed in the Tilly parts book as

Ball Cup (for cam) (Cam Gears 8527) Part # 37491

Ball Cage (with balls) (Cam Gears 7712) Part # 37490

I am surprised how hard some of the Morris parts are to find given how many of these cars must have been made. Any help appreciated.

Jack

Hi Jack,

I was hoping this bearing would be listed in the wartime LV6MT7 vocab, but no, it would appear to be a special made for the Cam Gears steering box. Further research and I came up with something. Cam Gears Ltd now belong the TRW parts empire, so a search using 'TRW Cam Gears' found the site of a UK bearing supplier with a list of numbers for Cam Gears bearings, and 7712 and 8527 are shown. It is highly likely that these steering boxes or components of, were used in other manufacturers vehicles as well.

Here is the list of number; www.ahrinternational.com/oemnames/TRW_CAM_GEARS.shtml

and here is the home address for the bearing supplier, I suggest you contact their Technical Dept. as they are likely to be more helpful. www.ahrinternational.com

Best of luck.

regards, Richard

Hi Jack,

I was hoping this bearing would be listed in the wartime LV6MT7 vocab, but no, it would appear to be a special made for the Cam Gears steering box. Further research and I came up with something. Cam Gears Ltd now belong the TRW parts empire, so a search using 'TRW Cam Gears' found the site of a UK bearing supplier with a list of numbers for Cam Gears bearings, and 7712 and 8527 are shown. It is highly likely that these steering boxes or components of, were used in other manufacturers vehicles as well.

Here is the list of number; www.ahrinternational.com/oemnames/TRW_CAM_GEARS.shtml

and here is the home address for the bearing supplier, I suggest you contact their Technical Dept. as they are likely to be more helpful. www.ahrinternational.com

Best of luck.

regards, Richard

Thanks Richard. I have emailed them. Excellent work.

Jack