Hello from gloucestershire

NIGELCOXY

Thank you for posting those Nigel. I've photoshopped it to give:[ATTACH=CONFIG]98839[/ATTACH]This is 27BK99 I assume, which in normal parlance is a Mk 2. I suspect you said it was a Mk 1 based on the body contract plate above the mesh cable protector in the cab below the passenger window. That relates to the original conversion to a Pig in 1959-60. Normally this would be covered up by the front scuttle armour in a Mk 2. The Mk 2 plate, which is larger, would be in the vicinity of the driver, these plates tend to get nicked at an early stage.(Wayne is probably chuckling because to complicate things further some Mk 1 Pigs that were never up-armoured to Mk 2 status but have the original cab plate stamped as Mk 2. More commonly no Mk is stamped. The reason is that the original Mk 1 was actually the FV1609, the production Pigs FV1611 & FV1612 were the real Mk 2. But when the MOD proceeded in Op Bracelet to up-armour the Pigs they didn't realise this & designated these modified Pigs as Mk 2 whereas they should have designated them Mk 3)Probably best to ignore the last paragraph as it makes life easier :D

That all makes sense Clive as 05BK18 had all the extra armour covering the plate which i have had to remove to be able to take out floor to get to fuel change over tap to clean out as it was all glued up.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for posting those Nigel. I've photoshopped it to give:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]98839[/ATTACH]

This is 27BK99 I assume, which in normal parlance is a Mk 2. I suspect you said it was a Mk 1 based on the body contract plate above the mesh cable protector in the cab below the passenger window. That relates to the original conversion to a Pig in 1959-60. Normally this would be covered up by the front scuttle armour in a Mk 2. The Mk 2 plate, which is larger, would be in the vicinity of the driver, these plates tend to get nicked at an early stage.

(Wayne is probably chuckling because to complicate things further some Mk 1 Pigs that were never up-armoured to Mk 2 status but have the original cab plate stamped as Mk 2. More commonly no Mk is stamped. The reason is that the original Mk 1 was actually the FV1609, the production Pigs FV1611 & FV1612 were the real Mk 2. But when the MOD proceeded in Op Bracelet to up-armour the Pigs they didn't realise this & designated these modified Pigs as Mk 2 whereas they should have designated them Mk 3)

Probably best to ignore the last paragraph as it makes life easier :D

Yes ;)

I know I have an 'Not', up armoured MkII.

I've a plate to prove it as well!

Nice to see some original details still in place.

yet to see another with turn and dip switch rain shroud though :P

Edited by Rover8FFR
Clarity

Nigel what a super collection you have there.

Yes that front cab armour is a pain & a lot of Mk 2 Pigs have had this armour discarded once in private ownership.

I wonder if you have tried to investigate what debris may have accumulated within the spaced armour? I found large numbers of wrappers for Jaffa Cakes, crisp packets etc but I did find a typed CES of the kit for a heavy mob of some sort. It detailed numbers of pistols & rounds, crowbars, hammers, torches etc. So you never know what gems may lie hidden.

It would interesting to see who made your Pigs. If you look on the cab contract plate, there will be a serial number eg:

ROF/N123 = Royal Ordnance Factories Nottingham

ROF/W123 = Royal Ordnance Factories Woolwich

S/123 = Sankey

As you may know there were 1,700 Pigs made, I have never been able to find or deduce a relationship between the conversion contractors & the chassis numbers. So if you could take some pictures of both the contract plates that would be nice for my collection.

Nigel what a super collection you have there.

Yes that front cab armour is a pain & a lot of Mk 2 Pigs have had this armour discarded once in private ownership.

I wonder if you have tried to investigate what debris may have accumulated within the spaced armour? I found large numbers of wrappers for Jaffa Cakes, crisp packets etc but I did find a typed CES of the kit for a heavy mob of some sort. It detailed numbers of pistols & rounds, crowbars, hammers, torches etc. So you never know what gems may lie hidden.

It would interesting to see who made your Pigs. If you look on the cab contract plate, there will be a serial number eg:

ROF/N123 = Royal Ordnance Factories Nottingham

ROF/W123 = Royal Ordnance Factories Woolwich

S/123 = Sankey

Do you mean this plate,also found out an old picture,will try and find some more.

As you may know there were 1,700 Pigs made, I have never been able to find or deduce a relationship between the conversion contractors & the chassis numbers. So if you could take some pictures of both the contract plates that would be nice for my collection.

Do you mean this plate,also managed to find out an old photo will try and find some more.

HPIM2604.jpg

HPIM2608.jpg

HPIM2605.jpg

D'you mind me inquiring where your Pigs came from ? It's just that at one time Hursts Brothers Scrapyard up by Newbury had loads of them (and also Shorland Land Rovers and Ferrets and Chieftains and stacks of other stuff) and I wondered if they might have come from there seeing as it's not that far on across the country from you ? :)

D'you mind me inquiring where your Pigs came from ? It's just that at one time Hursts Brothers Scrapyard up by Newbury had loads of them (and also Shorland Land Rovers and Ferrets and Chieftains and stacks of other stuff) and I wondered if they might have come from there seeing as it's not that far on across the country from you ? :)

One came from up North the other from out by Worcester.

I've never seen a Mk 2 still with a winch. Does yours still have the single-speed dynamo or has it been upgraded to 2-speed? Most Mk 2 Pigs end up with a 2-speed, I have seen a few that are still single speed. Same with the double-servo not all were upgraded from single.

I don't know whether you have explored your rear wheel stations but not all were converted to Birfield joints. They ran out the special steel from Germany.

Anyway here is another Nottingham one that once had a winch

App0167.jpg

I've never seen a Mk 2 still with a winch. Does yours still have the single-speed dynamo or has it been upgraded to 2-speed? Most Mk 2 Pigs end up with a 2-speed, I have seen a few that are still single speed. Same with the double-servo not all were upgraded from single.I don't know whether you have explored your rear wheel stations but not all were converted to Birfield joints. They ran out the special steel from Germany. Anyway here is another Nottingham one that once had a winch[ATTACH=CONFIG]98861[/ATTACH]
Generator is N01 -MK1,CAT N0 FV135332 and is in the engine compartment yet on 27bk99 it is in the cab and is Generator N0 2 MK 2-1 CAT NO FV175871.

Nigel the FV numbers actually relate to the Panel, Generator in the cab rather than the Generator itself. But yes you have a single & a twin speed.

So it is nice to find differences between what might appear to be be identical vehicles & of course bodies by different makers ROF & Sankey. In addition to that one was built as a FV1611B & the other as a FV1612A

I wonder whether 27BK99 still has the original engine S/N 8564? Unfortunately the main register has a batch vehicles (05BK01 - 05BK41) where the engine S/N was not recorded so I can't tell the number for 05BK18 I'm afraid.

Nigel the FV numbers actually relate to the Panel, Generator in the cab rather than the Generator itself. But yes you have a single & a twin speed. So it is nice to find differences between what might appear to be be identical vehicles & of course bodies by different makers ROF & Sankey. In addition to that one was built as a FV1611B & the other as a FV1612A I wonder whether 27BK99 still has the original engine S/N 8564? Unfortunately the main register has a batch vehicles (05BK01 - 05BK41) where the engine S/N was not recorded so I can't tell the number for 05BK18 I'm afraid.
I will have a look and get back to you.

• 1 month later...