Hello from gloucestershire

NIGELCOXY

Well done Nigel another one :D

I don't have a picture of 27 BK 89 (although I do have picture of 27 BT 89)

27 BK 89 built as FV1602

Contract 6/V/27210

Engine 8557

Chassis 32789

Delivered 7/1/55

31st B Vehicle Depot Church Broughton

Receipt Voucher CBR/R/2764

Conversion to FV1612 1959-60

Conversion to up-armoured “Mk 2” Sept 1972 - June 1973

Sales 5/2/92

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done Nigel another one :DI don't have a picture of 27 BK 89 (although I do have picture of 27 BT 89)27 BK 89 built as FV1602 Contract 6/V/27210Engine 8557Chassis 32789Delivered 7/1/55 31st B Vehicle Depot Church BroughtonReceipt Voucher CBR/R/2764Conversion to FV1612 1959-60Conversion to up-armoured “Mk 2” Sept 1972 - June 1973Sales 5/2/92
Thanks Clive,so was 27BT89 when it was a truck?.Do you think the turning over but not firing is points or maybe condenser.Nigel.

Hi Nigel , just found this thread and love your collection ! My Pig also suffered from steering stiffness and it was caused by the upper bush in the steering column being tight due to corrosion of the inner column ! I sussed it by fully dismantling the column but I reckon if you jacked the front wheels off the ground and lubed the inner colum at the top and allowed the oil to run down into the bush whilst moving the wheel lock to lock it could improve it ! Keep up the good work mate ! :-D

Hi Nigel , just found this thread and love your collection ! My Pig also suffered from steering stiffness and it was caused by the upper bush in the steering column being tight due to corrosion of the inner column ! I sussed it by fully dismantling the column but I reckon if you jacked the front wheels off the ground and lubed the inner colum at the top and allowed the oil to run down into the bush whilst moving the wheel lock to lock it could improve it ! Keep up the good work mate ! :-D
Thanks for that Andy,i will give it a try.Nigel.

Thanks Clive,so was 27BT89 when it was a truck?.Do you think the turning over but not firing is points or maybe condenser.Nigel.

Nigel no your truck retained its identity throughout. 27BT89 was a recommissioned Pig taken on census again without a normal WV contract as it happens it was originally 32BK61. I only mentioned it as I thought it was your Pig at first.

Fuel

When did the engine last run? What is the state of the fuel going in? Is it old? If you loosen the banjo feed to the carb when you hand prime is their fuel coming up?

HT

Do the plugs smell of fuel? Is there HT? Disconnect one plug lead fix a new plug to it & turn the engine over is there a spark? Put a bulb test prod at the points with the ignition on, push the points open does it light up & go out or dim when they close?

If none of those, take the cover off the ignition coil & check you have 24v on SW with the points open & 12v when one of them is closed. On CB terminal you should have 24v with both points open or 0v when closed.

At start up SW should read 24v with points open or closed. CB 24v points open or 0v closed.

Nigel no your truck retained its identity throughout. 27BT89 was a recommissioned Pig taken on census again without a normal WV contract as it happens it was originally 32BK61. I only mentioned it as I thought it was your Pig at first.FuelWhen did the engine last run? What is the state of the fuel going in? Is it old? If you loosen the banjo feed to the carb when you hand prime is their fuel coming up?HTDo the plugs smell of fuel? Is there HT? Disconnect one plug lead fix a new plug to it & turn the engine over is there a spark? Put a bulb test prod at the points with the ignition on, push the points open does it light up & go out or dim when they close? If none of those, take the cover off the ignition coil & check you have 24v on SW with the points open & 12v when one of them is closed. On CB terminal you should have 24v with both points open or 0v when closed.At start up SW should read 24v with points open or closed. CB 24v points open or 0v closed.
Thanks Clive,i will give that all a try,there is fuel going into the carb but the plugs are dry if that helps.

No Jason,Keynsham so not very far away,is there one at Cadbury Heath then?

Yes st annes drive banjo island I did a lot of axle work on it as they were both blown up. it came from a chap in box called pursar. Ive had a lot to do with one tons and pigs over the years!

Interesting I didnt think martin was going to sell it. There we go the reason it wont start and run is the carb is not happy when it was parked up it would only run very very rich on about 4.5 cylinders. its also got one ton tracta joints in the axles instead of chobham joints so needs to be driven carefully. on one of the periscope blinds you will find some interesting writing if i remember rightly it says back in F%%& in where it served again if you got my gist. (let me know if you find that) if i can help you in any other way with it please dont hesitate to ask.

Interesting I didnt think martin was going to sell it. There we go the reason it wont start and run is the carb is not happy when it was parked up it would only run very very rich on about 4.5 cylinders. its also got one ton tracta joints in the axles instead of chobham joints so needs to be driven carefully. on one of the periscope blinds you will find some interesting writing if i remember rightly it says back in F%%& in where it served again if you got my gist. (let me know if you find that) if i can help you in any other way with it please dont hesitate to ask.
Thats great,thanks Jason,when the weather warms up and i get to work on it ill be in touch.Nigel.

• 1 month later...
Thats great,thanks Jason,when the weather warms up and i get to work on it ill be in touch.Nigel.

Have managed to get 27bk89 running thanks for all the advice from clive,jason,andy and wayne.Ended up swapping the carb from my other pig and it started first time.All in the dry now and waiting for some good weather.The advice on the steering seems to have worked andy so thanks for that.

Nigel.

HPIM2689.jpg

Nigel nice to see the twins together. I don't know if its to do with local geography or in the photography, but are the torsion bars wound up tighter on TST?

Hi Clive,i assumed it was the extra armour that was making it sit lower than TST,do you think its the torsion bars?

Nigel are they both up-armoured? Or has one had some armour removed?

There are 3 sets of settings for the lower suspension arms settings depending if unarmoured, armoured or uparmoured.

Have you got a user handbook or the EMER that covers it? If not I'll post the settings diagram.

Nigel are they both up-armoured? Or has one had some armour removed?

There are 3 sets of settings for the lower suspension arms settings depending if unarmoured, armoured or uparmoured.

Have you got a user handbook or the EMER that covers it? If not I'll post the settings diagram.

Hi Clive,yes i have a user handbook so will have a look.TSJ unlike the other 2 has no extra armour in the cab and the panel generator is still in the cab where as on the other 2 it has been moved to the engine compartment.

Nigel.

Nigel if you have the Pig UHB that's fine.

A mistake that could be made is to look in the section that covers adjustments in Unit Repairs in EMER WHEELED VEHICLES N253 that describes it nicely. But it was written in 1954 which pre-dates the Pig so is just for CT/GS.

Although it was amended in 1966 to include armoured variants, this was merely a preface page to show variants included but the text was not amended.

However the text was amended for the Pig Mk 2 in EMER WV N253/2 so the settings for Dimension 3 are:

Front (the same): 2in now quoted +/- 1/8in

Rear: 2 1/4in +/- 1/8in

The difficulty comes in rolling the vehicle forwards on a flat level surface & letting it come to rest without using the brakes. Making the adjustments then rolling it again & checking until correct!

Incidentally EMER WV N253/1 does not seem to exist. But it would not cover Pig Mk 1, suffix /1 denoted Hornet.

Nigel if you have the Pig UHB that's fine.

A mistake that could be made is to look in the section that covers adjustments in Unit Repairs in EMER WHEELED VEHICLES N253 that describes it nicely. But it was written in 1954 which pre-dates the Pig so is just for CT/GS.

Although it was amended in 1966 to include armoured variants, this was merely a preface page to show variants included but the text was not amended.

However the text was amended for the Pig Mk 2 in EMER WV N253/2 so the settings for Dimension 3 are:

Front (the same): 2in now quoted +/- 1/8in

Rear: 2 1/4in +/- 1/8in

The difficulty comes in rolling the vehicle forwards on a flat level surface & letting it come to rest without using the brakes. Making the adjustments then rolling it again & checking until correct!

Incidentally EMER WV N253/1 does not seem to exist. But it would not cover Pig Mk 1, suffix /1 denoted Hornet.

Thanks for that Clive,as always a wealth of knowledge.

Nigel.

Nice pictures Nigel

I am in the process of cleaning and checking my carb also as I had an accelerator pump diaphragm fault, which caused over fuelling on 3 cylinders (4-6).

I have refurbished the manifold whilst it was off too, with a long soak in de-rust solution, good wire cupping and then a coat of high temperature finish. I'll have to update my own thread with some pics also.

I have cleaned and re-sealed / repaired my master cylinder too, so she should be running less rich and able to stop with brakes soon.

Best wishes

Wayne

• 2 months later...
Nigel thank you I did get your PM & replied. But maybe the reply was held back because of the fullness issue? Anyway thanks again but a Saloon Humber Pig is an interesting concept :D

Hi All

I am thinking of changing my Pig to electronic ignition and was wondering if anyone else has done this and how complicated it is to do.I have had a quote from Classic heads for £197.50+vat,would be very grateful of your comments on this.

Nigel.