1942 Raf fordson standard

sharky

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Sharky,

Thanks for the link to your photos on Facebook.

I realise now that you own a Fordson N Tractor; I assumed it was a Fordson WOT, for which Tony is a bit of an expert!

Anyway your Fordson Tractor appears to be in Fordson gloss dark green, similar to the one in the attached photo. As I'm interested in RAF Vehicle colours in WW2, I'm wondering if the RAF had some of these vehicles straight off the production line that could so easily have been used elsewhere such as a farm, hence the civi style colours? Its not the first I've seen like this but most of the photos of RAF vehicles show them in camo of two colours.

Was your used by the RAF in the UK and have you found what colours it was painted at the factory? Also regarding the Fordson name on the rad, was yellow of any significance as nowadays I only see it painted red on preserved vehicles. Was this done at the factory or it the colour likely to be 'blinged up' by the driver?

BTW - I guess this photo dates from c.1941 judging by the bombs and may be a bomb load for a Stirling.

FordsonNTractor.jpg

Edited by LarryH57

Dear Sharky,

Thanks for the link to your photos on Facebook.

I realise now that you own a Fordson N Tractor; I assumed it was a Fordson WOT, for which Tony is a bit of an expert!

Anyway your Fordson Tractor appears to be in Fordson gloss dark green, similar to the one in the attached photo. As I'm interested in RAF Vehicle colours in WW2, I'm wondering if the RAF had some of these vehicles straight off the production line that could so easily have been used elsewhere such as a farm, hence the civi style colours? Its not the first I've seen like this but most of the photos of RAF vehicles show them in camo of two colours.

Was your used by the RAF in the UK and have you found what colours it was painted at the factory? Also regarding the Fordson name on the rad, was yellow of any significance as nowadays I only see it painted red on preserved vehicles. Was this done at the factory or it the colour likely to be 'blinged up' by the driver?

BTW - I guess this photo dates from c.1941 judging by the bombs and may be a bomb load for a Stirling.

FordsonNTractor.jpg

Great photo that, thanks for posting

It is a fact that some folks can start a Fordson and some can't, which is why my granddad and dad used Allis Chalmers!

Then when you get them started there is always the fun of getting them into gear...

Actually they are great tractors and provided the mag, plugs and leads are nice and dry it should go. If there is any doubt drain the carb before switching the petrol on (sometimes a drop or two of water or some TVO leaks in and upsets things). Pull the choke right out and give it three swings with the choke out hard, push it back in and one more swing should do it. Just swing it over from 9 oclock to 3 oclock, don't try and wind it round and round.

If it does not start then keep trying and congratulate yourself on how much you are saving on gym membership.

Edited by paulbrook

As above, most of the problems of starting a Fordson N or E27N nowadays are down to magnetos, leads and plugs and of course wear in the engine!

Although having said that the wartime Fordson does has a reputation for being rather more cantankerous than its pre-war counterpart due to carburation changes made to try to improve fuel efficiency etc.

At least with this particular Fordson being a 'Land Utility' spec. you've only petrol to contend with and not TVO which adds even more problems!

Land Utility denotes an agricultural type tyre and normally the tractor so fitted, I believe. The tractors shown in thread and on face book have double fillers for petrol/tvo and appear to be standard agriculture tractors as also used by the RAF. Early, and later, RAF Fordsons were based on the industrial chassis with forward driving position, LU tyre equipment, no mudguards, under slung exhaust, lights and horn powered from a battery only, single filler for petrol and therefore a straight petrol engine with gauze type air filter. They were capable of around 30 mph when fitted with 28" rear tyres............. scary I reckon. See Vintage Tractor Special no.s 4 and 11, by A T Condie for more pictures and information.

Edited by super6

Aha! I stand corrected, for some reason I was sure I'd read the L.U. Fordson as well as the pneumatic tyres etc. only came with a petrol engine, I'm told that actually the vast majority were in fact TVO!

RAF industrial type Fordson Ns are also sometimes seen with cabs which I think were made in the RAFs own workshops, they have non standard rear wings, much longer than the normal Fordson 'wide' wing.

Hence the need to purge the carb of any TVO before attempting to start it. What tends to happen is although you starve the engine of fuel by shutting the tap off and letting it run out of fuel some TVO can weep back past the tap and into the carb when the tractor is stood. You need good fresh petrol in there for a clean start hence the drain and refill sequence.

As for mags and leads my old Allis Chalmers bucks the trend - it hates being inside in the warm and dry whereas if it stands outside in the cold and wet it will fire up without hesitation. Yet other tractors of the same make had to be nursed into action and many is the time when I were a kid when going to get something out of the airing cupboard I would fine a shelf taken up with a magneto and plug leads all drying out and warming up!