FV430 series vehicle, paint and colour codes

little ray

Hi again, well I have been checking the beast out and I think it needs some paint and LTC, so can any of you tell me the paint schemes for the vehicle and were one can get the paint from please also is there a company that can supply the vinyl trim cover so I can replace the damaged parts on my 439..

dose any one know of one being parted out?

As you can see from the photo it is a mass of colours so I would like the sand and black if that is correct.

Edited by little ray

The beige vinyl fabric comes in two sorts. If the hull is painted silver inside it is stuff called Trakmark which was made by Dunlop and came on a roll, to be glued onto the foam padding. It has a pronounced diamond pattern embossed into it, with about 6mm diamonds. It seems to have been discontinued in the early 90s but a couple of people here have found rolls of it to refurbish their 430s with.

The later stuff used on vehicles with white painted interiors, is almost but not quite smooth, and a rather browner colour. No one seems to have a name or manufacturer for it (annoying because I need some) and I have never seen any for sale but have been told that it is used in the engine rooms of power boats and yachts though I have had no joy looking in marine supliers websites.

There is also a revolting pale green covered padding that was apparently supplied with the vinyl already stuck to the foam and the shapes just cut out so the edges are exposed.

As for exterior colour, you have a choice of plain NATO green, NATO green & black, sand, sand & black, sand and green or UN white.

There was no defined pattern for the camoflage, just 1/3 dark colour, 2/3 lighter colour in irregular splodges. The edges can be sharp if brushed or soft if sprayed. There were other schemes but these were the most common.

David

Thank you and I will sit down when I go to ebay but I will check some of the trimmers in this country to see if there is any thing close, I will go with the sand and black but is it just standard paint with out luster.

Do you think it is currently sand and back? Because the photo shows a faded nato green and black vehicle. The mod infra red reflecting paint fades quite quickly to a colour which can look grey or sand.

The paint colours are listed in BS381C as NATO Green shade 285 and light stone shade 361.

I will check tomorrow as its mid night now but it looks sand so I will get some close up photos in full light, were do we get the radar reflecting paint please as I can use it on my 4Wd on the free way.

I think you mean Infra-Red Reflecting paint. The idea is to provide the same degree of IR reflectance as the surrounding foliage.

"Radar reflecting paint" would make you even more detecable on a radar speed trap. Radar absorbing paint as such does not exist, if it did there would have been no need to invent the stealth bomber :D

It was invented and it bent the beam, it was invented by the Japanese because there were so many bridges on the river through Tokyo and the barges were causing problems in the 1970's, a 4 gal drum would be nearly unliftable due to the weight. It then just was not on any paint list after that as Nato took it and no more was said, I saw a drum of it on the Army base and I could just lift it but not steal it as I wished I could. It was grey in colour with a metal filling through it.

A plane would not lift off if painted with it and a car could not carry it.

Hi Clive, what do all these letters mean please as I have no idea what you are after..

eg AC, ACI, AESP, AO, COSA, CR, DCI, EMEC, EMEI, EMER, EMPL, EMPS, ER, JSP, LoC, LTI, MAOS, MRA, RAOS, REA, VAOS, WMTI, etc, Army & WO Coded publications in paper or fiche.

This is one version, its an American paint acording to the net but I was led to beleive the Japs invented it.

Radar-absorbent material, or RAM, is a class of materials used in stealth technology to disguise a vehicle or structure from radar detection. A material's absorbency at a given frequency of radar wave depends upon its composition. RAM cannot perfectly absorb radar at any frequency, but any given composition does have greater absorbency at some frequencies than others; there is no one RAM that is suited to absorption of all radar frequencies.

A common misunderstanding is that RAM makes an object invisible to radar. A radar-absorbent material can significantly reduce an object's radar cross-section in specific radar frequencies, but it does not result in "invisibility" on any frequency. Bad weather may contribute to deficiencies in stealth capability.

Hi Clive, what do all these letters mean please as I have no idea what you are after..

eg AC, ACI, AESP, AO, COSA, CR, DCI, EMEC, EMEI, EMER, EMPL, EMPS, ER, JSP, LoC, LTI, MAOS, MRA, RAOS, REA, VAOS, WMTI, etc, Army & WO Coded publications in paper or fiche.

Wrote a comprehensive reply, slow going though on a pad. But post lost as wifi lost. Replied again and it did same. Hope to answer properly by next week :D

Hi, I had a good look at the paint today and its a over spray of Black on sand on grey with blue under neath, I also found the army registration number under the black, (16 AE 75 ) so Im not sure what to paint now or were to find out about the number.

You are most probably right again and I am cross eyed, it would be "EA" But I will walk over the field were it is parked and check it out. I spent a hour rubbing the paint back just to find and numbers under neath. I still have to work out the paint but in hind sight with other vehicles running around it will be sand and black. Why would there be Blue on some spots coming through.

Hi Clive, what do all these letters mean please as I have no idea what you are after.

Ray sorry for the delay, I now have a proper PC & connection. These are what I am after, some may be familiar some may not be. The one at the top of the list was introduced in 1867 so the last 150 years of publications are of interest.

AC – Army Circulars

ACI – Air Council Instructions

AESP - Army Equipment Support Publication

AO – Army Orders

COSA – Catalogue of Ordnance Stores & Ammunition

CP – Chilwell Publications

CR – Clothing Regulations

DCI – Defence Council Instructions

EMEC - Electrical & Mechanical Engineering Circulars

EMEI - Electrical & Mechanical Engineering Instructions

EMER – Electrical & Mechanical Engineering Regulations

EMPL – Equipment Management Policy Letter

EMPS – Equipment Management Policy Statement

ER – Equipment Regulations

ETS - Equipment Table Schedule

JSP – Joint Service Publication

LoC – Lists of Change

LTI – Local Technical Instructions

MAOS – Manual of Army Ordnance Stores

MRA – Materiel Regulations of the Army

RAOS – Regulations of Army Ordnance Stores

REA – Regulations for the Equipment of the Army

VAOS – Vocabulary of Army Ordnance Stores

WMTI - Workshops Management Technical Instructions

Hi, now I have seen some of those titles around the old book sales and swap meets but here comes the big "But" would they be the same as the Australian Army use or would ours be different. Most of the equipment out here is American or European so that would be a change... Ray

Hi, now I have seen some of those titles around the old book sales and swap meets but here comes the big "But" would they be the same as the Australian Army use or would ours be different. Most of the equipment out here is American or European so that would be a change... Ray

Ray you would have the series in EMEI (AUST) as opposed to the British EMER. The content may be similar but would often include things relevant to or developed by that particular theatre. The structure would be broadly along similar lines but the detail of structure is different.

For instance the Ferret series in UK is contained in EMER WHEELED VEHICLES V 620 - 629 whereas yours would be EMEI(AUST) VEHICLES N 400 - 409.

To complicate it further these local instructions will have no direct commonality with other theatres eg EMEI(BAOR). To try to differentiate them from an EMER they should formally referred to as LOCAL E&MEI eg LOCAL E&MEI (N.IRELAND).

Australia does not seem to use the "LOCAL" prefix. Whereas British controlled ones use "LOCAL" & even a matter that applies to just the UK it may not be in an EMER but a UK E&MEI.

Then once there were EMECs as well!

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/pdf/EMER4.pdf

Ray,

I'm interested in trying to get my hands on a roll of Trakmark to redo the interior of my Saracen; would you be interested in sorting something out to split shipping costs from the UK?

As for paint, you have a lot of options. The FV432, like most British vehicles, did not have its own paint scheme (with the exception of the Berlin Brigade schemes, which were very particular to each variant of the vehicle that they were applied to) and instead adhered to the current British paint schemes for the time period and area of operation that you would like to represent.

If you're interested in painting the very striking Berlin Brigade scheme, I highly recommend picking up a copy of Tankograd's "Armoured Vehicles of the British Infantry Brigade Berlin" (publication 9001). Their website indicates that it is out of stock, but I recently contacted them and they informed me that they had some copies. It is an excellent read and I'm debating painting my Saracen in it, even though it is a known anachronism.

Basically you can pick and time and location and then use Clive's excellent documentation on British vehicle painting to work out an appropriate scheme:

http://hmvf.co.uk/pdf/PAINTINGpart1.pdf

http://hmvf.co.uk/pdf/PAINTINGpart2.pdf

http://hmvf.co.uk/pdf/PAINTINGpart3.pdf

FYI, yours looks like it was painted in IRR NATO green and black (the most common scheme for British vehicles from the early 80s onwards) and has since faded/colour shifted, which is a very common problem with that paint, as it is quite unstable and has a very short service life (around 2 years between coats, as far as I remember).

Cheers,

Terry

• 2 months later...