Laser repair technology used in restoration of Spitfire

fesm_ndt

Very cool. Heard of a similar process where they just shoot metal particles at an object and they fuse through the kinetic energy of the moving particle (think this is being looked at for 3D metal printing)

I know they have metal sprayed 3d shapes similar to 3d printing. The one I saw was they printed a metal golf ball.

But the material is very porous, but got me thinking that Star Trek is nearly here whereby you can ask the computer to "make" you something

this is also interesting as you cannot see the laser but you see the effects

I was very pleased about laser repair technology 11 days ago when I suddenly suffered a detached retina, in less than 24 hrs I was on the operating table with both laser and cryo being used in the repair, all under local anaesthetic, the laser power used was 200 & 250 joules, suspect they were using a bit more than this on the Spitfire undercarriage !

We are already using a sort of halfway house that leverages this emerging technology. Using a 3d scanner, solidworks software and either a 3d printer or CAD driven router it has been possible to create excellent patterns for subsequent one-off casting. Alternatively the CAD file can be fired anywhere around the globe to be machined.

A recent example was the production of a blowdown valve for a Marshall steam engine. A solidworks virtual model was created from a photograph of a real valve then both pattern and core were machined out of high density foam before being cast out of bronze and machined. The resulting valve exceeded its spec and was still holding good at 400psi.

Oh and by the way - this wasn't done by me or a huge engineering enterprise, it was done start to finish (including the casting) by son Dan in his spare room/back garden....

It is amazing how technology is changing to save money by reducing waste material or reducing production time.

I have a sample on my desk and it doesnt look that glamourous i.e. a simple machining job. But the original core piece is made of 3 blocks friction welded together so the machining required is minimised.

We started using this at Ford in the R&D centres over 7 years ago - part of the Virtual Manufacturing process the team I was on introduced. Technology was a bit (a lot??) cruder back then but good enough to produce full scale tools and parts/panels for use in ergonomic simulations.