CCKW cargo bed upright spar length

DUKW

On my 353 the height of the top of the upright timber spar (there is a detent in the pressed metal elbow indicating the top) is 48" above the floor of the body. Check how far down the pocket the timber should go (I can't pull one out to check).

Thanks

There seems to be a huge range of sizes, depending where the truck came from, Norway, France etc.

Hi, bit late spotting this thread...I made all new woodwork for my Cargo GMC lwb before Normandy, and I decided the nominal length of the uprights is 48 inches, but some originals or certainly very old ones I had seemed to indicate 47 inches. I depends on the dimensions of your canvas as it needs to hang right so that the tie down ropes will tighten up correctly...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
He ain't gonna like that one little bit :cool2:

When I examined all my "staves " back in March this year, I kinda came to the conclusion that the really original ones I had were 47 1/2 " ,, but then I thought who is going to specify a fairly low tech piece of engineering to a 1/2 " dimension ?? and decided 48" must be the length... I then had to chop them back to 47" to get my tarp to hang right...!!!

I would like to know what the official top bow dimension is..i got new ones steamed to 6" to get the metal bows and staves to more or less join up without to much tension...