ferret tyres

robin33ba07

Question

I have a Mk 1 Ferret and I want to replace the tyres .

I was at W/P a good while ago and saw a Ferret with what looks like "Dublana" truck tyres made in Romania .

I did take pictures at the time ,but where they are now os another question ?

any one familiar with this make of tyres ,especially on a ferret ?

I would be grateful

22 answers to this question

I'm considering the Camac's for the Landy 101. Has anyone had any experience on these new Camacs?

I'm currently running a 101 with cheap bargrip indian copies and they are absolutely terrible. They are so out won't balance and are almost undrivable at 50mph.

On the other side I am running another 101 with michelin XZL's and even though I haven't had them balanced they are absolutely rock solid - no steering wheel movement at any speed.

back to ferrets, I have considered the XZL's on the ferret but I feel they are just too "modern" in the look.

probably go the Petla route on the ferret in a couple of years.

I believe the Michelin XL were the tyre that replaced the Dunlop track grip's in the British. You can see them on the fox, RB44 and even land rovers

I also fitted Petlas 10.50x16 on my Gun tractor. The project is not finished yet so I cant comment on performance, but they fitted onto the split rim fine and are still inflated.

Edited by Catch 22 LBDR

I fitted Petlas tyres to my Ferret 2/3 and it wallowed like a pregnant cow. Took them back off & fitted some old original trackgrips. the difference in weight between the new Petlas tyres & the old Trackgrips was unbelievable. The Petlas tyres were probably less than half the weight of the Trackgrips. The side walls of the Trackgrips being massively thicker.

The Petlas tyres would probably be OK for the mk1 as it is lighter with a lower centre of gravity, but I wouldn't put them on a mk2/3.

Guy

I fitted Petlas tyres to my Ferret 2/3 and it wallowed like a pregnant cow. Took them back off & fitted some old original trackgrips. the difference in weight between the new Petlas tyres & the old Trackgrips was unbelievable. The Petlas tyres were probably less than half the weight of the Trackgrips. The side walls of the Trackgrips being massively thicker.

The Petlas tyres would probably be OK for the mk1 as it is lighter with a lower centre of gravity, but I wouldn't put them on a mk2/3.

Guy

Guy,

The Trackgrip tyres on your Ferret are Runflat type, hence the thicker walls and extra weight. Any tyres you intend to fit need to be of a suitable weight rating and run at a recommended pressure for that tyre , which may not be the same pressure as used with Runflats.

As Diana has posted, check ply and load ratings for replacement tyres.

You could be right about the Petlas tyres, although when I ordered them, I think I specified the vehicle weight they were being fitted to. I know it felt rather unsafe as it wallowed about. I would certainly be interested in any new trackgrip tyres that became available. When I first got Ferret some years ago there was talk of the tyre mould being available and that if the tyre manufacturer got a large enough order, they would manufacture a batch. Don't know if that's still the case

Guy

You are referring to our favourite tyre manufacturing company Simex who in theory have or had all the Dunlop tyre moulds including probably 11:20X20.

Unfortunately as has been discussed many times before unless there is a millionaire on this forum who is willing fund a large order and pay for all the necessary testing, it will never happen, and in time all our British war-time and post-war vehicles will end up on totally inappropriate tread patterns for the periods they are meant to be portraying.

You are referring to our favourite tyre manufacturing company Simex who in theory have or had all the Dunlop tyre moulds including probably 11:20X20.

Unfortunately as has been discussed many times before unless there is a millionaire on this forum who is willing fund a large order and pay for all the necessary testing, it will never happen, and in time all our British war-time and post-war vehicles will end up on totally inappropriate tread patterns for the periods they are meant to be portraying.

Has the question actually ever been asked about price and minimum order 9.00 x 16 , 10.50 x16 or any other size for that matter ?

There was an attempt in this forum to arrange an order, however it fell through.

I'd rather have inappropriate for the period tyres for my ferret than rely on old or dubiously manufactured rubber.

Has the question actually ever been asked about price and minimum order 9.00 x 16 , 10.50 x16 or any other size for that matter ?

David,

If you mean with Simex, the problem was that they were taken over by Continental Tyres and it could be that they are controlling what is brought in to Europe. I had a set of 5 from their European HQ about 10 years ago and fitted to a MW. Had an order for 25 which was the last time we could get them. There was no guarantee of getting them as they were only arriving in dribs and drabs. Only sizes in their catalogue as I recall was 9.00-16 and 11.00-20

David,

If you mean with Simex, the problem was that they were taken over by Continental Tyres and it could be that they are controlling what is brought in to Europe. I had a set of 5 from their European HQ about 10 years ago and fitted to a MW. Had an order for 25 which was the last time we could get them. There was no guarantee of getting them as they were only arriving in dribs and drabs. Only sizes in their catalogue as I recall was 9.00-16 and 11.00-20

Morning Richard,

Do you have a current point of contact for the owners of the ex-Dunlop Trak Grip moulds.

It wouldn't cost anyone to make an enquiry !

David.

While the correct size and ply rating (16 ply), I note that the speed rating A6 would indicate a maximum speed of 30kph/19mph which would be insufficient for a Ferret unless you trailer it everywhere. Saying that, it does look like the Petlas tyre fitted to a few Ferrets I have seen.

https://www.tiresplus.com/shop-for-tires/tire-buying-guide/tire-speed-rating/

Vince