Anyone know of a suitable PA system

gazzaw

Hi

Any knowledgeable people on here know of any PA system (pref military looking) that would allow me to run music etc from IPODs or similar to help some of our WW2 events have background music etc. 4 speakers or more ideal but not essential

Pref 12 volt or can run from a generator if need be

Thanks in anticipation

Gary

Gary

Maybe not quite so big is the "loudspeaker gun control" which has a built in battery and transistor power amplifier of the later larkspur era. These use a 600 ohm field telephone input so should be adaptable to a low power source such as the iPod. They are surprisingly loud for what they are but really need a 12V supply (the original battery was a 12V pack in a PP9 9V case). There is one pictured at top right of http://www.g0ozs.org/clansman/G0OZS/DSCN6255.html with the perforated grille.

If you had more than one you could probably feed them in parallell. They work well from the remote output of a Clansman set which is how I use mine.

There was a series of larger PA systems intended for a battery rather than a single gun under the "Apparatus Loud Speaking" name see: http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?10416-Apparatus-Loudspeaking-No-25-for-sale - I dimly remember that No. 23 was a bigger system with several speakers but cant find immediately accessible documentation on line.

Regards

Iain

I have a new boxed compact mono amplifier that runs on 12 volt or 240 volt think its about 25watt output, has several inputs, gain controls for microphone and tape/cd, I used a similar one for my mobile cinema it powered two speakers ok, bought this one as a back up unit but have never used it, its the type fitted to coaches, boats etc

Edited by Nick Johns

The frequency response of most speech telephone equipment is tailored to voice not music 300 Hz ~ 3Khz

Diana

Gary

Maybe not quite so big is the "loudspeaker gun control" which has a built in battery and transistor power amplifier of the later larkspur era. These use a 600 ohm field telephone input so should be adaptable to a low power source such as the iPod. They are surprisingly loud for what they are but really need a 12V supply (the original battery was a 12V pack in a PP9 9V case). There is one pictured at top right of http://www.g0ozs.org/clansman/G0OZS/DSCN6255.html with the perforated grille.

If you had more than one you could probably feed them in parallell. They work well from the remote output of a Clansman set which is how I use mine.

There was a series of larger PA systems intended for a battery rather than a single gun under the "Apparatus Loud Speaking" name see: http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?10416-Apparatus-Loudspeaking-No-25-for-sale - I dimly remember that No. 23 was a bigger system with several speakers but cant find immediately accessible documentation on line.

Regards

Iain

David

That is the loudspeaker gun control I mentioned earlier - thanks for finding the item on e-Bay !

Diana

I doubt any ex-Mod equipment will be exactly hi-fi ? Having said that 1940s music would mostly be 78rpm gramophone or AM radio so probably only a little better anyway (I admit to having first listened to music in that format so almost anything seems hi-fi to me ...)

Iain