Buried WW2 Bike dug up

Wolfy

Great looking bike ......but I am amazed at the low level of corrosion...I could understand this in part if it was in sand in a desert ......but in a conifer forest with lots of rain I am just amazed at how little rust there is....

There is less rust on that petrol tank after 70 years than one I am having restored....I am always short of space at home so maybe I should bury mine in the back garden...lol...my wife certainly would approve...

Sceptical jenkinov

Wolfe ....can't paste a link ok on but if you type in Harley Davidson liberato buried ..you will find a photo of a bike buried for 50 years ..if I remember the story the bloke crashed the bike and buried the remains in his garden....now after 50 years that has the sort of rust I expect....

Jenkinov

If they can survive as well as the first photos I know where there are quite a few buried..not ww2 ..but post war bikes from th e 60s and 70s...true story as my grandfather had a motorbike shop...I expect they will all be scrap

Great looking bike ......but I am amazed at the low level of corrosion...I could understand this in part if it was in sand in a desert ......but in a conifer forest with lots of rain I am just amazed at how little rust there is....

There is less rust on that petrol tank after 70 years than one I am having restored....I am always short of space at home so maybe I should bury mine in the back garden...lol...my wife certainly would approve...

Sceptical jenkinov

It is the lack of oxygen that slows the rusting process or preserves it........I have opened some old mines from the old 1876 gold mining rush days in Deadwood South Dakota USA and have found a few things made out of wood and steel that are perfectly preserved...Really amazing to find the stuff I did as the mines I worked in closed around 1920 and over 80 years later I found the items..