Information on Tractor

thedawnpatrol

Hy Guys

a mate of mine has just bought a 1950's Ferguson Tractor and found a Ministry of Supply plate.

I wondered if anyone could give any more details please.

the plate reads:-

MINISTRY OF SUPPLY

TRACTOR LAND UTILITY 4X2

CONTRACT No 6VEHS14175CB286

CHASSIS No TED 363306

VEHICLE No 23 BY 34

Tractor Plate.jpg

cHEERS

Jules

I expect someone will be along and may be able to tell you more about the tractors military history but I can tell you from the chassis number quoted that it has a Vaporising Oil engine (the 'D' in 'TED' indicates this) and it was built in 1953.

Alan.

Done a bit more digging and can tell you the Ferguson in question was made on 26th November 1953, one of 220 TE20s made on that day!

(Information courtesy of The Friends of Ferguson Heritage)

Quite often they can even tell you if the tractor was manufactured on the night or day shift too...

Alan.

Ministry of Supply obtained vehicles for Goverment departments, including Ministry of Ag and Fish and Ministry of Defence departments such as Chertsey and Fort Halstead, so may not be strictly military, but could have a connection.

Tony,

Check the plate, it has an Army VRN as do the do others I have seen locally.

Must get eyes tested. Just looked up MOS on Wiki.The few vehicles I've seen with that MOS plates have been odd ones such as a Disiel engined RL supplied to a research unit for instrument testing, though they had a very wide remit.

Intresting little snippet: Off wandering around the net came across this: http://www.ukwarcabinet.org.uk/organisations/2

Edited by Tony B

ANY information on this tractor may be held by the ROYAL ENGINEERS MUSEUM CHATHAM sadly they hold very little on

this sort of equipment A freedom of information request will throw up little or no information THE RLC MUSEUM RECORDS

FINISH at the BS series as BY series were engineers equipment on this card system